Supporters Group Name - Part II

Discussion in 'Houston Supporters Clubs' started by yanks02, Jan 20, 2006.

1. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Supporters Group Name

I'm apparently very much in the minority here, but I don't particularly want a Spanish name for our supporters group. I can't speak a word of Spanish, and thus have no clue what the names being suggested even mean. I know it's a part of our culture, and the Latino culture has an influence on soccer, but that does not mean our name has to be based on it. Again, I know I'm in the minority, just wanted to put my .02 cents in.

2. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What about using a Spanish term like "hinchada" as a part of the group's name - as opposed to the entire name? Say, something like, just as examples, Northend Hinchada or Sam Houston's Hinchada, etc.?

3. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What does hinchada mean? See this is my thing. People who don't speak a lick of Spanish (and yes there are still some of us in Houston) will have no idea if they will be welcome in this group.

Maybe if we used it as part of the group's name instead of the whole thing, it would be okay. I don't know though.

4. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah, ok. I see what you're saying.

Just for the record, terms like "hinchada", "porra", and "torcida" refer to a team's hardcore fans, usually a specific organized supporters group when the term is used as part of a group's name.

As a side note, I think that what the hinchas and torcidas do in Latin America is a bit different from the sorts of things that the supporters do in English stadiums. Ultimately, we may face a question of whether we want to be more like the fans of Boca and Tigres or those of Chelsea or Man United. But I think that's a longer term question -- for now, we should probably just worry about getting as many interested people as possible into the same sections at Robertson.

In the long term, I suspect that Houston's MLS team will have multiple supporters groups. At least one of those groups will probably have an entirely Spanish name and will probably draw most of its members from at least one of the Hispanic communities in this area. I wouldn't be shocked if we eventually have one hinchada that draws most of its members from the Salvadoran community, another from the Hondurans, etc.

So, using a Spanish term as part of the name of the group that we're discussing here would, as far as I can tell, seek to do two things.

First, it's just a way to indicate that we're a hardcore group that does many of the things that we've seen from the hinchadas that have come to Houston to support Latin clubs playing here. Of course, we don't necessarily need to use a term like hinchada or hinchas to accomplish that goal - it's just one approach to think about.

Second, it's a way to reach out to Hispanic fans who may not know if they'll be welcome in a group that meets in British pubs and, at least initially, may not look very diverse. Again, there's more than one way to reach out to Hispanic and other large soccer fan communities in Houston. Using a term that they instantly understand is just one approach.

Anyway, I think that what we do during games (and, to an extent, before games) will prove more important than what we call ourselves. That's especially the case as other groups form over time. For this group that we're discussing here, using a Spanish term in the name is just one idea to consider as an approach to a couple of things.

5. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

Strip Mall Hinchada

7th Ward Hinchada (not sure which ward UH is actually in)

Cheese EncHinchadas with Onions

Okay, just kidding around and having fun.

6. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Hincha:A person who supports/follows a particular sports team.

Hinchada: The group of people who support/follow a particular sports team.

This term is used mored in Argentina, but has gained usage in Mexico and other South American contries.

Other terms are "barra", "torcida", and "porra".

Barra has gained more usage. Notice the appearance of "barras" in MLS support group(s).

Torcida is more commonly used in Brazil.

Porra is more used in Mexico, but in Mexico is seen as too "uncool" so now many use "barra" or "hinchas".

Of course, famous hinchadas go by names that have nothing to do with "hincha" or "barra". For example. La Rebel - Pumas, Los Escoceses - Pachuca, La Adiccion-Monterrey, La Lokura-Tigres, and La Monumental - Club America.

[​IMG]

If it comes down to Houston 1836, y'all could yourself H36H...Houston '36 Hinchada. :D :D

7. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or we could call ourselves 36DD, except for chapulincolorado - that must be at least 36EE.

I don't know.

We could just call ourselves both Club 1836 and Porra 1836 - depending on translation.

8. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the explanation Anderson. It makes sense, than, to use a word like "hinchada" instead of the "hardcore fans" for a group name. :p I don't know. I just had assumed, like you pointed out, that a Hispanic supporters group would form, and that maybe having 2 groups with Spanish names would deter some non-Spanish speaking fans from joining.

Anyway, like you said, this is just all different sides to think about when naming our group.

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That was exactly my thought when speaking of Hinchada Texian Army.

HTA also is short for Houston Texas, Americas. In global football terms it speaks to city, state and brand of ball as Team Houston is a side from the Americas.

Also amiga mia Yanks...my focus for us in having a dual Spanish and English name is from the year 1836 itself. When the rebel government leadres formed in Feb of 1836 to draft a Decleration of Independence from our capital in Mexico City, the leaders had Rep. DeZavallo write the first copy in Spanish and the second in English. The mixed group of leaders made sure to staye all demands in the current countries national language. That point in Texas' unique heritage MUSt be allowed its proper place to shine and be celebrated.

Simply put, I can think of no better way than to assure Latinos in Houston that Team Houston will celebrate our rich and diverse heritage. Via the beautiful game, the lads on the field will speak the common language. We can shout and sing in two different languages of the three that have been around in Texas for some 500 years. In the SW United Staes it was often Spanish that was the "common tounge" between Native Americans and new settlers to places like Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. Often a Native Indian would speak in Spanish to a Cavalry trooper who would then translate the Spanish to English. Spanish is as European of a language as it gets as it comes from Roman Latin. I teach my family and students that no Texan is complete without knowing Spanish and English. Stephen F. Austin was a proud Mexican citizen, totally fluent in Spanish and went to Santa Anna himself to avoid conflict in 1834. I believe that example is for everyone in Texas, regardless of color.

Having any kind of grasp on Spanish, especially when dealing with el futbol is core to what I feel is so opportunistic about Team Houston. If the feeling of passion and appreciation for our Latino legacy is communicated via our Supporters Club.....just think how a rockin' our Northend could sound, look and feel amigos!!!

BTW, I spoke with Jen Cooper about our desire for the Northend of Robertson Stadium and how the sun will hit on the Southend "Away" supporters. She took solid notes and I was left to believe that this WILL BE communicated to Luck and U of H. Not to jump the gun, but I am certain we will have our own section just like we have been looking forward to!

10. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, yeah... "Hinchas del Norte", here we come!

And one other point I just realized - we would be the most Northern hinchada, at least geographically speaking, as well!

11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

I would prefer to stay away from Spanish names. For every latin person that the name draws it would turn away a non-spanish speaker.

12. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano

I imagine anyone who would be interested in a vocal, passionate supporter's group wouldn't be turned off by a Spanish language name. They certainly wouldn't reject one out of hand simply due to the name. Just my opinion.

13. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all bueno.

Well, I guess we know what one of the main topics will be at the next meeting. :D

I'm sure we'll have a good discussion and come up with something that pretty much everyone can accept - especially after a couple of cervezas. ;)

14. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

A lot of people won't, and ones that know about it won't, but if somebody sees the name and assumes it's a group of Spanish speaking supporters they may be less likely to participate. There are a lot of ethnic groups in Houston other than Latin Americans, I just think it'd be a bad idea to name our group targeted to that one group.

15. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Re: It's all bueno.

Hopefully once the name is official it will give us a better idea of what our options should be (both English and Spanish).

And why does it have to be cervezas, is this some subliminal attempt to get people to agree to a Spanish name? :D

16. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: It's all bueno.

Absolutely - peace through cerveza - although I'll probably have Guinness or Boddingtons. :D

17. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You'd be surprised. I agree with DrLudicrous that it would turn off some people to the name. I still like "Raven's Nest" myself.

18. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's still not bueno enough?

I understand and appreciate the concern, but do we really think people in Houston who don't speak Spanish would be turned off if only part of the name, as opposed to the entire name, is in Spanish? Would having both English and Spanish in the name turn people off just because there's also Spanish in it?

For example, are people turned off by the Houston Chronicle's Soccer y Futbol blog because "y futbol" is included with "soccer" and "blog"?

Likewise, how turned off are people who don't speak much Spanish really going to be when they see that we meet at British pubs (which I think is a good thing, btw ;) ) and we look like this?

Again, I think these are all good questions about reasonable concerns that lead to good discussion. I'm sure that the group will come up with something we can all accept and I can certainly live with a name that doesn't include a Spanish term as a part of that name if that's what most people want to do - but I agree with Celt's points above about why it's a good idea to include Spanish.

19. Atom'sDad

Atom'sDad New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Texas

Maybe we can have the name in English and the motto in Spanish, or the other way around. But one thing we should REQUIRE of the members and that is we MUST wear cowboy hats to all functions! To games, get togethers and so on, make that our trademark image....Cowboy Hats.

20. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: It's still not bueno enough?

That's what I was thinking. Hispanic-sounding name on a banner over our tail-gate parties won't leave much room for supposed disappointment. And no, they don't come any paler than me (just wait 'til you see the ivory sticks that I call my legs as I wear shorts this summer!)

21. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Re: It's still not bueno enough?

If the name is in Spanish I can certainly live with that, I'm just voicing my opinion. The Latin culture here should be embraced, but I don't want to embrace it to the point of neglecting the others. And I like the idea of an English name with a Spanish slogan.

I'll be sure to bring sunglasses to block some of the glare. :)

22. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    including, as opposed to in?

We're probably not that far apart on this topic. That's why I wonder whether having a name that includes both English and Spanish terms would work. Maybe there's a difference between a name that's entirely in Spanish or English and one that includes both Spanish and English. Dunno - I'll definitely need a couple of Boddingtons to think it over properly. ;)

...black cowboy hats. :D

23. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cowboy hats? Why not wear six shooters, boots, and spurs while you're at it? :rolleyes:

The only cowboy hat I have is a white one I was given while I was in Calgary. I think it'd be better to have the supporters all wearing the same color so that it stands out. As many people here are wanting orange, perhaps that would be a good color if the team does not/i] use orange. It would really stand out.

24. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think an English name with a Spanish motto could work. I for one would enjoy the delicious irony if we used the "Come and take it" motto but put it in Spanish. :D

25. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If it's summer, you want straw cowboy hats.. much cooler, they can still be painted to be the same color....krylon doesn't cost very much, and neither do straw cowboy hats...

rock
    bford

I like the idea of having maybe an english name, and either translating that into spanish..or the slogan in spanish...