Support for Rochester team from Broader Upstate NY area

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by nh_ny, Jul 13, 2004.

1. nh_ny

nh_ny Member

Jul 12, 2004
    upstate NY
    newbie here.

I'm just wondering how much of an increased fan base there will be will be for the Rhinos if they take the step up to MLS. In particular, I imagine a lot of folks from the surrounding areas (Buffalo, Syracuse, northern NY, central NY) that are not current Rhinos fans would become real supporters of the major league franchise.

I myself am from the Utica area and would even be willing to make the 2+ hour trek down the Thruway to see MLS games (but I'm not really an A-league follower, of either the Rhinos or Salty Dogs).

Any fellow upstaters outside Rochester who would become bigtime Rhinos supporters if they make the jump to MLS?

2. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Which begs the question: why? Or why not?

While I feel fortunate to have Metro and MLS a subway-and-bus ride away
    (soon to be shortened to a ride on the PATH), if I didn't have that I'd be making making my way to Brooklyn or LI to see the nearest available team -- and that's below A-League.

Within 5 years my wife and I expect to be in Florida -- and that means A-League at best. But from what I've seen on the FSW Friday night matches, the matches are worth watching.

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with. :)

3. nh_ny

nh_ny Member

Jul 12, 2004
    upstate NY
    --Yes, you're right -- I probably haven't given it a fair chance and should see what the quality of A-league actually is. (haven't really seen any on TV)
    However, there may be others who don't think like you and who may be new Rhinos fans only if they jump to MLS. So still the question exists: how many of these fans might there be?

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Binghamton and have been up to a few Rhino's matches. If they went into MLS I'd go to even more. I currently "support" the Metros, but it's more of a thing where I'll watch them if I'm home or if nothing better is on. I've been to a bunch of Metros games, but the 6 1/2 hour drive (roundtrip) sometimes isn't worth it.

5. cpevans31

cpevans31 New Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    I used to live in Binghamton and made a couple of Rhinos game. If they were in MLS I probably would have gotten to at least 3 or 4 per season

6. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sam's Army guys from Buffalo would almost certainly get season tickets. I think people will be really surprised.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm from Liverpool (suburb of Syracuse) and would definitely switch my allegiances from the Salty Dogs to the Rhinos. There'd be no doubt I'd try to make as many matches as possible. People in the rest of the country underestimate the number of good soccer fans here.

Don't you guys think the Metros would lose fans if Rochester got a team? Would they fight it like the Orioles are fighting against a baseball team in DC? I know Rochester isn't glamorous, but let's put a team where the fans already exist.

8. cpevans31

cpevans31 New Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Huntersville, NC

I highly doubt it, I think New England is actually closer to the metrostars than Rochester is

9. GalaxyJay

GalaxyJay New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, there is probably a good 7-hour difference between the cities. However, I could definitely see more people coming (I go to a lot of games, but I'm not getting season tix until they're in MLS), and I think Syracuse fans would come to see MLS action, whether they switched allegiances to Rochester or not. I go to games all the time when I'm in the DC area, despite hating the United.

10. cpevans31

cpevans31 New Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    How about the whole regionalizing a team, to include Buffalo,Syracuse,Albany,Binghamton by changing their name to the:

Upsate Rhinos FC :)

11. nh_ny

nh_ny Member

Jul 12, 2004
    upstate NY
    :) Yeah, I thought of that exact name actually, but I don't think it will happen.

Sounds like in additon to the strong fanbase from Rochester -- season tix will be high -- lots of occasional fans from the greater upstate region, and maybe even some Candians from Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto?

if you all had to wager, what percentage would you put on Rochester MLS in 06? (maybe none of us want to do this with all the uncertainty and everything...)

12. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's the problem Upstate NY to someone from Lower Manhattan is the northside of the Bronx and up. Upstate to someone in Yonkers is north of Westchester. Upstate to someone from Rochester and Buffalo would almost definitely not include Binghamton. Western NY Rhinos people might pull for a little more. It aint gonna happen though. The Rochester Rhinos will become a regional team and people in Syracuse and Buffalo will show their support just like people in Rochester have Syracuse U and Buffalo Bills paraphanelia everywhere.

13. GalaxyJay

GalaxyJay New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Those three cities seem to join together fairly well... if one has a major team the other two will join forces to create a fan base (i.e. Buffalo Bills, Syracuse University football/basketball, Buffalo Sabres).

14. GalaxyJay

GalaxyJay New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    And I'd say there's a 90% chance we get the team in '06... 100% if we finally get the damn stadium done.

I'm still pulling for relocation this year.

15. nh_ny

nh_ny Member

Jul 12, 2004
    upstate NY
    Interesting that you're pulling for relocation.. I thought a lot of Rhinos fans would rather wait until 06 to have the Rhinos promoted than to have a totally new team relocated, but maybe my general sense is wrong..

16. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    That's been my take on the situation. In contrast with the ambivalence for the Sounders expressed by Seattle fans, Rochester enjoys enormous support. It's really somethinig to see the matches from Pioneer on FSW. So, while the Sounders ponder rebranding as part of a move to MLS, it seems the Rhinos need to hold on to their identity. It may be that 25 to 50% of the team will be 'upgraded' -- but let's wait till we see some results from OC competition to get a better take on that. I'd like to think that most of the current roster can play at the next level, with a few key players to make the transition complete.

Your new stadium will be a beaut -- natural grass or turf.

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    1) To step up to MLS, Rochester needs to eliminate 5,000 fans per game. They may make MLS look bad getting 20k per game.

2) Upstate NY is not their fan base. Western NY is. For sports purpose that is west of Utica. I'm in Albany, 2hrs 10 min from Giants Stadium, 2hrs 30 min from Foxborough. West side of Rochester is 3hrs 30 min. from Capital Region. I would probably attend a couple of games a year, mainly because of friends and in-laws in Rochester area, but support from this end of the state would be negligable.

3) IMO,despite excellent support, my gut says I don't think MLS really wants to go to Rochester even though what they say is to the contrary. They may just have to remain, as Rochester does so well ,is the big fish in the little pond (see Amerks, Red Wings and indoor lacrosse).

18. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this part is a joke... Do you honestly think Rochester could average 20K? Hate to be poor acid rain on your parade, but that ain't gonna happen based on what I have seen and heard. I think 15K is possible, but Rochester isn't going to put anyone to shame.

If there is good reason to believe that Rochester can average 20K please enlighten me!

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes it was a joke. The point is, Rochester currently outdraws most of the MLS on a regular basis (at least according to Bob Matthews). Hell, I would love to watch a game where there are 20,000 people there every week.

A new stadium and a step up in competition would provide a small bump to attendance. An MLS team in Rochester will not suddenly have people roadtripping from the likes of Horseheads and Fredonia/Dunkirk on a regular basis becuase the league logo on the ball has changed.

20. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you'll be surprised.

It also depends on IF Rhinos can market themselves properly, there are A LOT of Rochester soccer connections everywhere in WNY. If the Rhinos get word out to the right people you'll find season ticket holders in Jamestown and Corning. When Buffalo had the indoor Blizzard a large contingent of their season ticket holders made the ride up the thruway from Rochester. You'll find plenty of people who already commute up and down the thruway, EVERYDAY, for work, willing to come up once a weekend for a chance to see the best soccer in America.

21. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your thinking applies to Seattle and the surrounding area, I agree.
    If you're talking about west New York, I totally disagree.

22. donclark

donclark New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    I'd like to see Rhinos attendance numbers after a losing season.

23. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    I truly hope you should live so long.

In short, it ain't happenin' for a long time.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    People totally underestimate the market of upstate/Western New York. I was at a Syracuse Salty Dogs game a few weeks ago with 7.000 other people. This team plays in a baseball stadium, that makes the game almost unwatchable. The field is way too short, and most of the seats are at an odd angle. The fans keep coming, though. Imagine if there was a great stadium nearby with top class soccer. We'd all go! During the summer in upstate/western New York there are no teams playing in a major sport. People are either watching Yankees games from afar, or praying for the Bills season to start. The Rhinos could have the market all to themselves.

25. nh_ny

nh_ny Member

Jul 12, 2004
    upstate NY
    I agree with you, Eastwood. Utica area people _all_ support Syracuse basketball and football. That's all they have locally. Rochester folks also support SU college sports. Yes, I think that the Capital region people will not necessarily identify with Rochester MLS, but Central and Western NY (and some of the Northern tier) will embrace them.