Support D2-last chance

Discussion in 'NASL' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Nov 27, 2010.

1. andypalmer

andypalmer Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having D1 own D2 isn't going to work; the MLS owners don't have pockets near deep enough.

The core issue is that the US has more than 20 markets that can support a D1/D2 team (i.e., be able to get 5k+ fans at a game if the product is good enough). In fact, there's probably close to 80 or 100 markets that meet that criteria.

Here's what I'd like to see within the next 10 years.

MLS Div1 and Div2. 2 leagues under MLS umbrella, single entity system*, with promotion/relegation between the two levels - the MLS salary cap and draft system would support this, especially when combined with profit sharing. This allows for 36-40 teams in the top 2 levels.

Div3 becomes a regional program, kind of like USLPro has turned into. 4-6 divisions of 8-16 teams each that are divided upon regional lines to reduce travel costs. These teams would be local and focused on player development as much as winning; after all, I would expect selling players to the MLS to be a noticeable portion of their revenue.

* As much as I would love it to be different, I don't expect them to get rid of the single entity structure any time soon.

2. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only reason I think the reserve would take over is that MLS doesn't want the tweeners and long shots. Youth will be important for a successful MLS.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    There's a lot of reasons why MLS doesn't own the NASL. Finances isn't one of them.

Running a D2 team in the United States doesn't require a lot of wealth, just the willingness to lose 500k-1mm year after year.

The ability to absorb those losses wouldn't be an issue for any post-Horowitz MLS team owner. The fact that it hasn't happened has more to do with return on investment. Namely, there is virtually impossible to get a positive return on an investment in D2 soccer.

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why pro/rel is vital for D2 to work. Fans are more likely to support a team in numbers when good results mean they move up to D1. That, combined with league wide (i.e., D1+D2) profit-sharing means that the D2 teams at least break-even, if not make a small profit.

5. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the MLS fans are worried about the relegation part of it.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No. It's not. D2 works in baseball, it works in hockey. Why? Because much of the costs are absorbed by D1 teams.

The American style major/minor "farm" system works in the United States. We don't have the density to make pro/rel viable. Ever.

It's a fantasy pipe-dream that works fine in much smaller countries where the major population centers have multiple teams. Atletico Madrid gets relegated? Fine, Rayo Vallecano takes it place. QPR goes down, Fulham goes up. Chicago Fire goes down. Oh shit, there goes the #3 market.

And that gets beyond the obvious fact that there is exactly one D2 level team that could afford to run an organization at the D1 level - and that organization is going to D1 in 2012.

Pro/Rel is a fantasy based on a wet dream. It completely ignores business fundamentals.

And that's the last I'll have to say about pro/rel in this thread. It's just not worth wasting any more time or effort discussing.

7. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you haven't noticed he was talking about pro/rel within MLS.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    in other words, "never."

9. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is the best solution by doing MLB-MILB style. It also gives a benifit to the lower league team if their local MLS team is their affilate by getting local area MLS team fans to go to D2-3 matches. If Victoria Highlanders join up with the Vancouver Whitecaps or Long Island Rough Riders join up with the Red Bulls and so on, it could do wonders to D2-3 attendence down the road.

10. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    i believe DC United's agreements in the past was to play a friendly at the D2/D3's home field.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    With Ethan White going straight from Maryland to DC United as a home grown player, I'm really thinking that MLS is going to be drowning in young "home grown" players within a few years. Given the fact that these players are assets, my guess is that league (MLS) is going to facilitate clubs signing these players and finding a way to keep them under contract.

The easy way to deal with the glut is to loan players out to D2/D3 teams. The long run way is to make player development a more formalized system. When it's the odd player here or there (like Aaron Hohlbein on loan with Miami FC in 2010), it's not that big a deal. If an MLS team puts 5 or 10 players on loan at a D2 club, they're probably going to want control over the technical staff.

Frankly, a Major/Minor league system will likely come about organically - and possibly quite rapidly.

12. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Be interesting to see how the MLS Reserve League pans out this year. Would a player with MLS potential go with the Reserve league, or NASL/USL PRO?

13. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    An interesting question. Money jumps out as a reasonable answer right off the bat, where would they get paid more. The other factor is, if a player decides the best current move for him is to play on a D2 team and he chooses it over an MLS reserve squad, would the MLS teams hold that against him?

I just think that the NASL is attempting to somehow, some way, more closely align themselves with MLS. The natural thought on that I think involves player development. But if that is what the Reserve League is supposed to be for, then this seems to be at odds. Unless the Reserve League is going to be used prmiarily for younger players, but then you could make the same argument about the possibilities of them working more closely with USL to have younger players playing in D3 or PDL.

Will be interesting to see how all these things play out next year and where things look like they're working and where they're not.

14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    They haven't done it in the past.

The complaints have always been about washed out Yank Euros not getting paid enough when they come back. Well, if they weren't wash outs they would get more was the amazingly simple answer. It's not like MLS hasn't paid guys who actually performed.

For the lower leagues they have done the same thing.

We aren't talking top quality/difference makers here.

If someone performs they will turn heads...anywhere.

This has always been a bit of a myth. MLS, like any league will pay for talent. MLS just has a much smaller payroll than many leagues.

With the minimum salary of 40K now I can see most players heading to the reserves. If they can't break into a first team they can still be loaned out.

15. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would love to see MLS and NASL expand the player loaning that goes on between them. I think it's good for both sides, and can help develop a stronger relationship between the two divisions. I have serious doubts about whether the MLS reserve league is going to be anymore long-lived then it was last time around. But even if it doesn't really work out again, I think a developing relationship between D1 and D2 can help fill the need for what the league is wanting to do with reserve players who aren't quite ready for MLS yet. According to Davidson, Montreal and Vancouver would both be interested in fielding teams in D2. One has to assume it would be as a player development team, and/or a place for bench players to get some actual game competition.

16. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just makes sense. In lieu of promotion/relegation which has a slim chance of ever happening, stability in D2 and below lies with a strong relationship with MLS and it's teams. Just like minor league baseball, hockey, and more recently the NBA D-League. The Heat's Dexter Pittman has ZERO chance of making the active roster this year, so he's getting good minutes in Souix Falls with the Sky Force. MLS could benefit from this kind of relationship with NASL teams. Riding the bench doesn't do much good for a player, just ask Freddy Adu.

Like the D-League, since their aren't 20 teams in NASL, MLS teams could share affiliates in D2. But also, like the NBA setup, MLS teams could outright own their affiliate if they want, like the Austin Toros(Spurs) and LA D-Fenders(Lakers and candidate for worst team name ever). Vancouver and Montréal seem to be candidates for this.