Super Y League

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by VolklP19, Aug 18, 2015.

1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    So I recall (years ago) that this started off as a hot league for rock star teams/clubs but quickly came to be just another money maker.

I have no idea if that is true.

http://sylsoccer.com/Information/index_E.html

I see lots of "Best of the rest" from my area competing in this league. Is that the general concept?

Where would this fit in amongst DA, ECNL, MRL, NPL etc...?

Just curious - always wondered.

2. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When the y league first started in NY. It was the league where New York cities kids played. Why because odp was done in Long Island. Try out for odp were open to everyone but very few city players could make it out to Long Island for practices.

So the coaches from Long Island took mostly Long Island kids any not NYC kids.

My club here in Brooklyn had a y league team. Any experienced club coach could coach it.

Individual clubs later lose the y league team.

Now if I am not mistaken you have to have an A coaching license to coach a Y league team.

3. aDifferentPerspectiv

Apr 22, 2011
    Super-Y is just another platform to play at a regional and national level run by the USL, along with its own ODP program for selected players. What stood out in their programming was, unlike USYS, you have to be selected to take part in ODP (US Club has since followed suit). It also appealed to some organizations because it took place during the summer months, outside of local leagues that ran fall/spring.

Years ago all the top clubs in the midwest region played Super-Y at 13s and up. Magic, Sockers, and Fire all had a fair share of success at the national level (Magic in particular). Over time these clubs left the league for a number of reasons: 1) divisions were terribly balanced, outside of Chicagoland games weren't always competitive. Clubs didn't want to commit to traveling 6-8 hours for sometimes meaningless games 2) The league itself is very expensive for being so short, whole seasons sometimes only having 8 and costing +$$$$. 3) Logistically it was difficult to secure players with so many taking vacation or time away from soccer. I think these issues coupled with the emergence of other programming (ECNL, USSDA, USYS National League, etc.) led to many clubs opting out of Super-Y. Again, this is all my personal opinion/experience, and regarding the midwest region only. Things could be different elsewhere in the country.

I know for a fact that some Super-Y league coaches in the midwest DO NOT have "A" licenses...one I see listed only holding a "D". Maybe the league is working to up their standards?

UH60Blackhawk repped this.
  4. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You have someone coaching in the Y league with only a D license that's a disgrace.

It's good for 12 yr olds.

5. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Perfect - thanks for the explanation!