Super Y League and injuries?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by CornfieldSoccer, Feb 23, 2017.

1. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Wondering whether anyone here who knows anything about Super Y League play (or any other, similar off-season program) has any thoughts on or information about the likelihood that organized training and games through the summer adds any significant concern about injuries, over-training, ...

My son's club more or less takes the summer off (some of oldest teams play into the summer, but for the most part there are some just tryouts and optional, for-fun programs -- no practices, no games, ...). I'm curious about whether adding organized play in the summer creates potential problems.

mwulf67 repped this.
  2. StrikerMom

StrikerMom Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Probably depends on how old your kid is and how prone they are to injury. My dd's team (15-17 year olds) train throughout the year with 3 weeks off at Christmas and 6 weeks off at the end of the season. We haven't had a problem with injuries.

I personally wouldn't let my kid do it unless it's high quality training and games.

3. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #3 mwulf67, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Central Illinois Elite?

I just went to our parent meeting about Super Y last night…we have never done anything this organized or intense, but for the last couple of summers, my son has played and trained over the summer (local leagues, 3v3, beach, camps, etc.)…we are interested but also a little concerned as well…

I did like what I heard so far…I liked that the [planned] rosters will be large enough to allow some flexibility and time-off…one of my biggest concerns…I don’t want to be so/over committed to this that it didn’t allow for any other activities or time off…

4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    It's not as strong as it used to be for sure - they are sort of re-building but most teams at the higher level have club policies to stay out of it unless their club participates.

I have a 2005 and we do an open play every Friday night with lower range travel kids who are mostly 2001-2000 players. My 2005 keep up nicely but the overall point is that it's a nice mix and there is no coaching - just a light ref.

We intend to expand this to 2 nights a week in the summer - un-organized play which has really seemed to benefit all players of all ages and from all back grounds. Most importantly it's been very fun.

And it's free once we move outdoors :)

5. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Appreciate the feedback. This would be a first for our club, I believe. We're a little more geographically isolated than metro-area teams, so even if the quality isn't as high as it might have been in the past, for us it could be chance for some of our better players to play against relatively high-level competition that isn't always part of the league we play in (our kids do go to strong tournaments; the DOC and his staff seem to do a good job of pushing our stronger teams into tougher competitions).

Part of the discussion about whether we do this is stressing to parents that, for kids who add these games, parents really ought to cut back on the winter indoor schedule most of our kids play.

MWulf, yes, the same. This one came up last minute for us and we're making decisions on it today. It sounds like you probably know more than I do. Four clubs participating, I believe? You and I have talked previously here about the limits of our league that I mentioned above.

Volk, my son is a 2005, too. I think he'll be interested in this and might have a shot at making a team (this would be a collective team comprising players from more than one club), but I also don't want to push him toward injury from over training in one thing, playing too many games, ... (I'm already frustrated that at this age he's effectively being pushed into playing one sport only because of time demands and inflexibility on the part of his middle school where its sports are concerned -- but that's a another discussion). Our club does an outdoor "street soccer" session once a week that's just play -- no coach, no refs, ... It draws well for kids 10 and younger but not for older kids (which makes my 12-year-old pretty reluctant to go since he's playing on teams that include much younger kids).

6. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah, kind of last minute for us as well…and they are wanting to have most teams drawn up by the end of the month from the sound of it…not sure what the rush is….

5 clubs actually….SASA, Peoria, Illinois FC, Midstate & Fusion…not really clear how this will all work with regard to numbers and composition of the teams…our DOC seemed to have some vague number/breakdowns in mind, but not clear on how he’s coming up with those numbers….I fear he may be under-estimating the interest, but I could be wrong….inter-club politics can be bad enough; can’t imagine how 5, mostly non-directly, but still competing, clubs are going to pull this off without any hard feelings or controversy…I certainly hope for the best…

On paper, I definitely like the concept…the opportunity to play for new coaches, play with new teammates, exposed to new styles, ideas, etc…expanding his/our soccer community and all that jazz…

7. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013

Forgot that one of the Peoria clubs is part of it, too.

I agree on the potential upside, but you're likely right re drama -- is it possible to do anything in youth sports without it?

I'll be curious to see what our interest level is. Some parents on a couple of our stronger teams have already registered kids for university-based soccer camps in the region that fall in the middle of this season. We also have some pretty talented players who might struggle with the additional expense.

8. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No, no, it is not…lol…
    I am starting to already get some indication from my son’s team only, that interest will out strip available spots…we already have some (not so always) underlying tension/bad feelings regarding A-team vs B-team, older vs younger players, supposed in-group vs supposed out-group, etc…if that's the case, this won’t help…
    Yeah, kinda in the same boat as well…son starts HS next year; I know there will be some summertime commitments that need to be made on that front, including a team camp in July…so far, what I am hearing and seeing, that shouldn’t be much of an issue/problem…but who knows…

9. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Thought I'd follow up here with an end-of-summer summary on Super Y, at least my son's team's experience.

The team was a mix of u12 kids (about to be u13) pulled together from five different midsize clubs from downstate Illinois, playing 9 v 9 in the A bracket (there's also a lower team playing in the B group made up of kids from the same clubs).

My two biggest doubts going in were the possibility of injury from overuse and whether this team would be able to compete reasonably against regular club teams coming straight from their spring seasons.

The team generally did fine -- 2 wins, 2 draws in nine games (competitive losses, which most were, I'm OK with, but not a bunch of lopsided Ls). They quickly gelled, played fairly well together and had a nice level of across-the-board skill (and seriousness about training, good attitude when they fell behind that meant they didn't quit, ...) that allowed them to stay in games against more-skilled teams and teams that play together all the time.

The extra practices were nice, the coaching was pretty good (CC: mwulf, your DOC was my son's head coach -- I liked his approach) and the level of competition was mostly pretty strong -- my son had never played against any of the teams he faced this summer, Chicago-area clubs that for whatever reason his club team hasn't faced and some Michigan competition. It ranged from a team or two that were good enough that our kids had to fight to keep losses close to one team that our kids were clearly better than, held possession, ..., but didn't blow out.

Some games were pretty chippy, but not all -- a mixed bag, just like we typically see at tournaments.

Not sure how this works for all teams, but my son's group also became pretty tight in a hurry. He came away with friends he enjoyed spending time with. Parents were good to be around, as well.

On the injury side, in the final game my son showed some signs of having played too much recently. I attribute that to the way the schedule fell -- half the season's games were over four days at the end. If we did this again, I might hold him out of a practice or two around those tightly compressed game dates (which actually were nice from the travel/expense end of things -- we only had two overnight road trips).

And one note on a bit of sportsmanship that went well beyond anything I expected. My son's last game was against a Chicago Inferno team. Neither team was playing for a trip to the nationals, as far as I know, so maybe this works differently if more was on the line. But with my son's team down 4-3 and a lot of time left to play, he was whistled for a PK, apparently with the ref thinking he tripped an attacker as he cleared a ball from his team's box. I didn't have a good look at it, so I can't say whether it was a good call or not, but it's the only thing his coach argued about all summer, asking the ref for an explanation about how it could be a foul (other parents seemed to agree with the coach, and my son certainly did -- though he thankfully kept quiet on the field).

Apparently the Inferno coach, who was close to the spot where it happened, agreed. So when his player stepped up to take the PK, instead of trying to blast the ball home for a two-goal lead, he tapped it to our keeper. Parents on our sideline were stunned, and impressed. So that coach and team have our respect, for sure (they were the stronger team, and went on to win 6-3).

Bottom line, we'd do this again. My son enjoyed it, and the level of soccer forced him to play hard and smart. If I had a development academy-level player, I probably wouldn't -- I assume those kids are at least a step above the best of what we saw this summer.

If there are other parents on here whose kids did this this summer, I'd be curious to get your thoughts.

mwulf67 repped this.
  10. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I am glad your experience was positive from the sound of it…

Mine, unfortunately, was not…

First, we had a team/club withdraw from the league just as the season started…took us form an 8 game schedule to only 6. No attempt by the league nor club make any new match-ups/makeup games. Making matters worse, we played 4 of those game on the first weekend (after only 2 practices) as back-to-back double headers against the same two Chicago teams...so after one week and 2 practices, 2/3 of our season was over. Now, I would agree practice/training is more important than playing games…but, come on, you gotta have something to train for…The rush to schedule our handful of games and fact we didn’t play a single game south of I-80 (no home games at all) really threw a wet blanket of the experience from the get go…

Pet peeve: League games should not be compressed into mini tournaments weekends…the whole point of league play is to spread the games out…play a game; recover, practice… play a game; recover, practice…etc…we do lots of tournaments on his regular team; I was hoping of true league play, with like, home games and everything…I didn’t get it…

As far as the level of competition (for the 4 games my son participated in), it wasn’t great. In those first 4 games, we only scored once and gave up at least 40 goals all told. We had no offence nor possession to speak of; all we did we play defense the whole time. Our boys made them work for it; but the wheels would fall off by the 2nd half…you can only constantly play defense for so long. My son’s regular club team had played both of these teams (of versions of) before. We won some, lost some, but always tight competition….very frustrating. My son plays CB and he clocked almost every minutes in those games, so he got a lot a work in, but it ended up being too much (see below)….my son didn’t play in the last two games, but I do understand they were competitive/more evenly matched (I believe we split).

Overtraining/overuse injuries …. absolutely. My son came of out of those first 4 game pretty banged up; developed a nagging hip issue. He tried to “work through it”…but it just won’t go away/get better. Ended out sitting him for 2 full weeks late June/early July to recover. Ended up missing last 2 games (which was just as well). All this while High School soccer loomed on the horizon, his/our priority…very worried I had really screwed things up big time…. Luckily, everything healed up and HS is going fine so far.

I will say, my son did enjoy the limited time he spend training and playing with the team/new teammates…even while banged up and forced to sit those 2 weeks, he really wanted to go to practice…

In general, I can see how this could be a good experience for some…we just had some bad circumstances and it ended up being too much for my son’s situation….and to be honest, this was a step down talent-wise that my son is used to. His regular club team is hands down better than this “Elite” team. But I am sure with other teams/age groups this might not be the case…

11. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013

Sorry, Wulf. Sounds like your son had the experience I was afraid might be how things would work. And I hope that injury is or soon will be completely behind him.

From what I can tell, my son's team had one of the better experiences among the CIE teams (I know one of the older girls teams did well, and maybe one older boys' teams, too). I watched a couple of our teams last weekend in Michigan that struggled.

My son's team had a similarly compressed schedule -- including four games right out of the gate after just two practices together. Like I said, from a travel perspective, that was great. But the kids handled what was not ideal from a competitive point of view better than I would have expected -- a win and a draw in those four games, both against strong teams.

I talked to one coach who said she had a team with a similar opening weekend and just called opposing coaches and negotiated a better schedule for her team. So I guess, provided the coach wants to, that's an option.

12. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    We had 22 games and 4 tourneys this past spring alone. My kid needed a break - she may not have wanted one but I said so :p.

I signed her up for Friday 3v3 at a local club where she was placed with high schoolers - that was a real confidence booster since many were boys.

We also had open play soccer for 5th-high school players once a week. There were enough older kids that were just more dominant players for my 2005 to be challenged - lots of fun.

Overall I would say combined - both were more beneficial at keeping the game fun and challenging for the summer.

13. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013

Is that 22 games plus four tournaments, or 22, including four tournaments? My son's club team typically plays 15-18 games a season, including tourneys.

What's a typical fall or spring schedule for most teams between, say, u12 and u16? I had thought we were in the mainstream on that (at least for areas where weather is a limiting factor -- field conditions limit when we start in the spring and finish in the fall before heading indoors for low-key winter leagues).

14. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    We played in 2 leagues - IWSL & NPL and then added about 5 tourneys over the entire season.

It's the most we have played but our team was very new based on the age change and many new recruits.

So I guess in all (18 IWSL games), maybe 12 NPL games and 15 tourney games....

Fall + Spring = 45

Damn! :eek: