Super League 05/06 - Highlights & Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by Nico Limmat, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    [​IMG]

The new season is just around the corner. Due to the Intertoto Cup the Xamax - YB match was moved forward to Wednesday.

2. Barum

Barum Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Devon, SW England
    Club:
    Exeter City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We have to wait until Aug 13th over here in England for our first game!! I will be over in Zurich for the game v. FCB on Sept 10 at the Hardturm :) ! If anyone fancies a beer with 2 English GC fans before the game let me know!!
    A repeat of the 4-1 in May would suit me nicely :D :D
    HOPP GC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You picked a good match. I hope we are competitive this season...

HOPP GC!!!

4. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that YB are a good bet to get second place. I think that Xamax could emerge victorious as YB looks to OM on saturday.

5. Barum

Barum Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Devon, SW England
    Club:
    Exeter City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I saw YB at Aarau in May and they played some nice football, with their new signings they should finish in the top three.
    Rob the Aggie........................ I think you will be crying into your Bud or Millers on Saturday evening!!! :D :D

6. nam.c

nam.c New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    UK/Switzerland
    When does the swiss season begin?

7. Dave141

Dave141 Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Washington, NJ
    The first round of play is this weekend, but because Young Boys has an Intertoto 3rd round match scheduled for that time, their opening match with Xamax is Wednesday (at 19:30 CET, I believe).

Along those lines, I have a question for Rob or Swiss. If I am on the computer tomorrow, do you know of any sites which offer text or play-by-play updates of Super League matches while they are in progress?

8. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    livescore.com will give you the score and cards if and when they happen. Xamax on their homepage often does a text of the match. You can check it out here:
    www.xamax.ch

As for yb, my german is very limited. They might have something on their website, but I am not too sure. I will see if Xamax is doing a webcast and get back tomorrow before the match.

9. Dave141

Dave141 Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Washington, NJ

Rob,

Thanks for your help. I was just wondering if Swiss football had anything like the "Live ticker" application at sport1.at in Austria. Also, bundesliga.at has running in-game match commentary (both of those sites are in German obviously).

Also, is there any newspaper/TV/media site which has match previews on the day of Super League matches, say with probable starting lineups?

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I recommend www.fussball.ch and www.nzz.ch (under Sport)

Fussball.ch is good for news while NZZ has great in-depth articles.

I don't know of any sites with a text-ticker, but if your Schweizer-Deutsch is any good you can listen to all the league matches on here: www.sportradio.ch

11. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Dave141

Dave141 Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Washington, NJ

Many thanks, guys,

Could I possibly trouble you for one more thing? Could you match up the best/biggest Swiss newspaper for their coverage of each of the Super League teams?

For example (from Rob's answer):

Xamax - L'Express
    YB - espace.ch

13. Barum

Barum Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Devon, SW England
    Club:
    Exeter City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    www.goalz.com has up to date scores as they come in. (at least it did last season!!)

14. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See here:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218929

If anyone wants to add or subtract ones, let me know.

15. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YB with a 3-1 victory. Looks like they will give OM a good match on saturday.
    34' [0 - 1] G. Sermeter
    53' [1 - 1] A. Agolli
    65' [1 - 2] F. Neri
    72' [1 - 3] F. Neri

16. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That is a solid start for YB.
    I personally still like the official ticker: Totomat - Online

(It gives you lineup, substitutions, and cautions)

17. Barum

Barum Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Devon, SW England
    Club:
    Exeter City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sorry, that should be www.goalzz.com (not enough zzzzzzzzzzz's!!)
    YB top of the League, anyone think they will stay there?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    HOPP GC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Dave141

Dave141 Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Washington, NJ
    I'm pretty eager to see the highlights from today's match. In addition to the goals, I'm curious to see the foul which caused Young Boys to be awarded their penalty kick and what occurred between Griffiths and Raimondi which got them both sent off.

Do all of the TV stations show the same highlights?

P.S. Thanks for putting together those newspaper links!

19. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that tsr.ch usually has the highlights of all the weekend matches on either samedi sports or dimanche sports. I assume this match will have highlights because it is the opening match of the season. SwissGCZ usually posts links to highlights that are usually of high quality in German instead of the french ones on tsr.

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Round 1

Neuchâtel Xamax - Young Boys 1:3 (0:1)
    35. Sermeter (penalty) 0:1. 54. Agolli 1:1. 65. Neri 1:2. 73. Neri 1:3.

Speaking of TV, next year should be really interesting when the contracts with SRG and Sat 1 expire. Premiere has signaled that they would be interested. Since Premiere has bought the Austrian rights last year the AUT clubs nearly doubled their TV money. It's time for either a change or SRG to finally step up and give the Super League the coverage and compensation it deserves.

21. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice shot by Agolli. He got the keeper leaning the wrong way. Neri first was very nice, the second was rather lucky, but it all adds up to a YB win. What was the reason the ref gave for the red to Griffiths?

It looked like there were quite a few YB fans at the match.

22. Dave141

Dave141 Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Washington, NJ

Thanks so much for the link to those highlights. That really is a great package of clips - goals, big plays, interviews (which really don't help me too much since I can't speak any German, but at least I know what some of these guys look like!)

After only seeing those clips, and being a generally impartial observer, here are my quick thoughts:

1. Xamax's treatment by the referee was a little harsh. I thought the penalty call was somewhat borderline. Yes, there was some bumping in the box, but it didn't even seem to me that YB had clear possession of the ball. There were like five people in the immediate vicinity of the play and they all were going after the ball. I personally have a slightly higher standard for a foul that results in a PK than something that happens in mid-field, especially in a 0-0 game in the first half of the first match of the season.

2. I am also a little unclear as to why Griffiths was given a yellow for the incident with Raimondi at the end of the first half. Unless there was more pushing before the video picked up the action, I again thought that was harsh to Xamax. Or perhaps the referee thought that Griffiths was "diving" after the push to make it look more serious (the ref probably explains this in the interview during the video, but again, there's that problem with my lack of understanding of German again!). But Griffiths clearly got shoved. So, now referees are debating whether he stopped himself in enough time? Either way, I don't see how the Xamax player gets a yellow card there, and definitely not if he's playing on a yellow. I know it seems balanced for a referee to send a player off from each team, but if one player was clearly at more fault (Raimondi), then his team should pay the price.

3. Two beautiful goals by Neri. His first goal (to make it 2-1) was a perfect header (how is he that open on a corner kick?), and his second goal was a bit lucky to stay under the bar but clever enough to make you shake your head.

All in all, a very interesting start to the Super League season!

23. Godfather1886

Godfather1886 New Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Zurich
    Where did you hear that? A dream would come true.

24. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I read it here. Yeah, yeah...I know. ;)
    No problem. I've actually been posting them since the last winter break.
    You don't? So how are you going to read all those newspaper articles? :D

Supposedly Griffiths was provoking. I think it was a harsh call on both of them.

25. nam.c

nam.c New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    UK/Switzerland
    Oh Hakan Yakin moved to YB I never knew that. I presume last season? How has he been playing?