Super Conferences

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by fishon, May 23, 2010.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I don't think it was a reaction to anything, but rather was proactive.

TV contracts come up in 2 years and the PAC10 has been trying to position itself to be in a dominant negotiating position for a while. It looks to me like time is running out and they have to do something before the next contract cycle.

The BIG 12 position is a little cryptic, but it could be that they didn't get an offer package they thought they deserved. All that talk about saving the conference is nice, but we all know money talks.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    .....And another update from he Oregonian.

PAC10 commissioner Larry Scott has been given the OK to move forward with expansion without having to go back to the school Chancelors.

So it's either a long way off.... or they are close to a deal.
    <edit> THE story made the TV sports news on Oregon, so it must be close.

It sounds like Colorado might be replaced by Baylor, so perhaps the folks in Colorado don't want to move to the coast.

anybody there have insights about that?

here's the article:
    http://blog.oregonlive.com/pac10/2010/06/pac-10_commissioner_larry_scot.html

Interesting to note the PAC10 gets about half of what the BIG10 does from TV.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  4. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Major implications for the entire country!
    Pac10 takes the Texas/OK schools from the Big 12 (and the Mt west schools that want in)
    Big 10 takes MZ/Neb AND 4 from the Big East/ACC (and Notre Dame but settles for KS)
    SEC goes to 16 by also poaching Big East/ACC (Florida/GA schools, maybe Clemson)
    The remaining Big East/ACC schools have to merge to make their super BCS conference
    The remaining non-BCS Big East and ACC schools get together with whomever is left
    Bottom of the Big 12 looks for a home

If you have a kid at or are a fan of any of these schools - start banking your frequent flier miles!

5. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    It's sad, but not surprising that this is all driven by money. The experience for the students, fans and athletes is secondary. While I don't have a crystal ball, I wonder if all the money will materialize like is being promised. As a Pac-10 fan, I really have nothing beyond a passing interest in Stanford playing Oklahoma St in basketball. Or UCLA playing Texas Tech in, well, anything. My TV set will not be turned on to that and I for sure won't be traveling to those games. I wonder if the reality of this promised windfall of money is dependent on fans like me, whose interest will wane with a nation-spanning conference.

Best article I've seen regarding the madness and the reasons behind it:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...g=dw-expansion060610&AID=10606473&PID=3747368

6. tcrawdad

tcrawdad New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In your own, adorable yet sarcastic way, you only supported my statement:

"Gone are the days when Clemson, Florida State or Miami struck fear in anyone's hearts on the football field"

The only thing other teams have to fear from the FSU Criminoles or Thug U is coming away from the game with all their personal possessions intact. Clemson has had their time in the sun and then chose to lather on SPF 1,000 and go hide under a beach umbrella.

7. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Texas basically being shoehorned into taking Baylor with them wherever they go is the most comical thing ever. Just how many powerful people with Baylor interests are there?

Mark my words. Within the next twenty years, we're going to see a NCAA SuperLeague with Florida, Notre Dame, USC, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, etc. The money everyone's going to make with this realignment pales in comparison to a big school mega-conference, and once everyone figures that out, it's the end of collegiate sports as we know it.

8. attackerp

attackerp Member

Nov 4, 2009

CW there are several rumors being reported in the media.

Stanford and California are having problems with Texas Tech and Oklahoma State, due to their lack of solid academics. I dont know if thats Performance issues or standards.

If that is the case, apparently there are legislators (alums?)that have a problem with Texas going without Tech. Again thats a rumor

Baylor is the sleeping giant. Very Good academics and Alumni that are big players. The rumor has it that they are rattling cages as well and have some influence

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Yeah, I keep reading more and more takes on all this....

one is that Texas and TAMU is a package wherever hey go.

one is that the big 12 is doing this to make Nebraska and Mizzou commit to either the big12 or big 10 (11?).

one is that Texas and Tamu don't want into the PAC10 because they would lose power compared to what they have now.

one is that Colorado wants to jump without the others, or doesn't want to jump at all.

The best quote was the TAMU AD saying something like "you have to remember that all AD's are just mercenaries doing what's best for their own school"

This is going to be fun. One thing for sure... it has nothing to do with Women's Soccer.

10. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    "If that is the case, apparently there are legislators (alums?)that have a problem with Texas going without Tech. Again thats a rumor"

There is actually a Texas State Law requiring the Big12 Texas schools to be in the same conference so they actually must stay or move together.

The only way this affects women's soccer is that when this shakes out and those BCS schools finally organize a real 16-team football playoff, the revenues per school could more than triple what they are now - the rich get richer. This is not money that trickles down to the non-bcs schools and even Division II and III like the NCAA basketball money does.

11. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom

12. fishon

fishon Member

Apr 27, 2007
    It will have everything to do with women's soccer if all these schools break away from the ncaa and only decide to play football, basketball and maybe baseball?

13. attackerp

attackerp Member

Nov 4, 2009

One way or another it looks like our conference will be adding some teams

I found this that is very interesting. It can og many ways including changing nothing

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/060810dnospobayloremails.7e10ca51.html

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  15. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Evidently Baylor just said in public what UT says at the meetings . . .

16. leftout1

leftout1 Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The dominoes are starting to fall........ NE to B10, 6 teams to Pac10.
    The big question is if the B10 goes after 2-3 Big East schools for the east coast TV markets will that force ND's hand for them to join the B10 as the 16th team. A big part of being in a conference is about all the non-revenue sports and scheduling. Where doe KS, ISU, KSU, Baylor, MO end up? If the B10 plucks a couple of Big East schools then does the ACC come up and pluck a few more?
    What is really appealing to many of the university presidents (other than the money) is the academic angle. The B10 and Pac10 are academically arguably the two most prestigious conferences. This means a lot to NE, CO, OK, UT, etc.... for them to be aligned with them.:cool:

17. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Don't be fooled that academics and "prestige" has anything to do with this. If it were, they would have backed out long ago like Chicago did. In the end, Notre Dame will have trouble turning down another $20+ million a year, just like Stanford will. The "academic fit" and "core values and mission" crap will get lip service as these changes occur but these moves are ALL about big-time football revenue - the only major revenue stream left in college sports the NCAA doesn't own,and one of the only left for colleges generally. California tuition just went up 30% so there are very few other places to look for revenue. Some of these President's are faced with decisions about cutting departments and laying off faculty or just changing football conferences....pretty easy call really.
    Hold on to your hats!

18. RedBlueDevil

RedBlueDevil Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    There is no such Texas law, and Baylor won't be joining the rest of the group. By the way, Baylor's academic reputation is mediocre, but better than OU's, Tech's or Okla State's. Unfortunately, Tech will get dragged along into the PAC 10 where it will, at best, be a middle of the pack football team, a bottom dweller in every other sport, and a bottom dweller academically.

As for women's soccer, this may be a chance for A&M and Texas to adopt a west coast style of play, which is their only hope of becoming any good. Texas has the best facilities and athletic department support in the country, a great school, and great recruiting classes, only to dramatically underachieve, and A&M is a perennial sweet 16 loser. They have both built programs to play in the Big 12 (big girls, direct play, overly physical-too much time spent in the weight room, so that even skilled players develop slow, thick legs).
    I am hoping this move changes that.

19. leftout1

leftout1 Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The next step is the Pac10 Network to emulate the huge success of the Big10 Network.
    With the new schools they will now have the following TV markets:
    LA #2
    DFW #5
    SF BAY AREA #6
    HOUSTON #10
    PHOENIX #12
    SEATTLE #13
    DENVER #16
    This doesn't include all the other markets like Portland, San Diego, Tucson, San Antonio, Austin, Sacramento, etc.....:cool:
    Regarding Baylor, I read some of the resistance is because they are a religous institution and got big pushbacks from the Cal's, UCLA's, UW's, etc....

20. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    The Texas Legislature will get the final word (or at least be consulted if the PAC10 offers only 1 or 2 schools the invitation). There IS a Texas Law and the State-funded schools would be silly to ignore it. Baylor, as a private, may not have been named in the original law and they are very nervous.
    From their President (that's where Kenn Starr is now!)
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/outlook/7045012.html

From various sources easily googled but maybe not that accurate:

"The SEC extends invitations to Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State. The Texas legislature is immediately involved as no one has read the fine print of the last law passed when the SWC imploded. Under current legislation, all four of the BCS Texas Schools must be in the same conference. You can't cherry pick." The Bleacher Report (citing Houston Chronicle)

"If the Big Ten makes the move, the SEC could counter by making a play for the Longhorns to come join its conference. If Texas were to leave, Texas A&M would go too, as the Texas legislation will not allow the two schools to be in separate conferences." Mercury News

21. tcrawdad

tcrawdad New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think two weeks in the future, all the fur has flown. How does this affect conference alignment for women's soccer? Who benefits, who loses?

22. onfirst

onfirst Member

Jun 7, 2002
    This struck me as an interesting statement, so I did some searching through the 2010 Newsweek rankings. Of the BCS conferences the ACC appears to have the best schools with 6 in the top 50 with an average ranking of 26.5 (and had the highest ranked BCS school, Duke). The Big 10 has 5 in the top 50 with an average of 32.5. The Pac-10 has 4 schools in the top 50 with an average of 28.3. The SEC has 2 schools in the top 50, Vandy (#17) and FL (#47). The Big 12 has one, Texas at #47. The Big East has one, Georgetown at #23.

So, the Big 12 schools would apparently be moving up in the academic world (but perhaps not to the best BCS academic conference). However, I doubt this has much to do with the decision to switch conferences.

23. RedBlueDevil

RedBlueDevil Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    EddieK: To my knowledge, there is no Texas law, but if you can cite it, I can search for it and I will stand corrected. There is, however, tremendous political pressure for the schools to move together. Baylor, as a private institution, doesn't have that much stroke (Ann Richards is no longer governor). Tech has more, but not by much. Note that A&M and UT are meeting today, just the two of them, to discuss this situation. They might both bolt to the SEC and leave the others behind (not a bad result).

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    The BIG 12 lives

Now that the BIG11 just reportedly added Nebraska.
    I'm sure the naming rights come cheap.

The Pac10 can follow their precedent and keep the "10" name for another day as Colorado joins them.

25. leftout1

leftout1 Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Hey, you've got to give props to any conference that calls itself the Big 10 while having the number 11 in it's logo.:cool: