SUNY Geneseo

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by socfan60, Jan 4, 2011.

1. socfan60

socfan60 Member

May 6, 2001
    Any info on the school, the area or SUNY's in general? I may have a job opportunity...

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, I know the Dean of the arts school is a pretty decent classical pianist.

And while on the one hand, a job is a job, which is a good thing, I'm not really sure about how much money the state will be devoting to the various SUNYs in the future.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    SUNY Geneseo is always the highest ranked SUNY college aside from the University centers (Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo and Stony Brook) in most of the rankings, both academically and socially. Has been for years.

They used to have an awesome girl to guy ratio (like 60/40), not that it matters when your not a student.

Great little town (my housemates when I was in school were all from the village). Not far from Rochester.

4. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My mother went there. Loved, loved, LOVED it. Still talks about it to this day. In fact, tonight we were talking over how seldom snow ever shut anything down up there. Versus my comparatively downstate NY institution, which has already had classes canceled 3 times in the first couple weeks of the semester.

She regularly chides me to get a job there, so she's got a reason to go back more often.

But the girl-guy ratio was (is?) pretty notorious too, to the best of my knowledge. So that's the last thing I need, really - to end up at yet another good school in a small town where pretty much the only eligible females are students. Life as a single academic in situations like that sucks out loud.