Sunshine Up Your a**! Official Over-reaction Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Calexico77, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok folks, this is a no-TequilaJoal-zone (just kidding TJ).

So for the start of the last few seasons, we've had clouds hanging over our heads, rocks in our shoes, and vinegar on our tongues. But this season? Well, that's another story, isn't it?

Sean Franklin? Holy crap - 3 seasons, three different positions, and he's doing them all well.

Omar? Had he lost a 50/50 ball at all this season?

Leonardo aka "I'm not Berhalter"? Hey! He's not Berhalter! So far, no communication problems, solid play, can't be happy.

Dunivant. . .AJ. . . Holy crap - is that Depth? We have Depth? On our Backline? No ********ing way.

Edson Buddle - 5 goals, 3 games? You realize that if he continues this trend, he'll score 5 ZILLION GOALS THIS SEASON???

One other small thing to note, while there has been some discussion regarding the quality of our opponents, with the new style MLS schedule, we have taken 9 points from three teams who could very well be division leader candidates by the end of the season.

- Houston often starts poorly, but somehow comes through at the end
    - New England has already started putting the pieces back together for a strong season
    - Chivas is always a headache - plus you can't put a price on beating the goats.

Also, beating Houston on the Road is HUGE.

So yeah, I'm pretty stoked, you guys?

2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say we suck a lot less, 3 games into the season, than we have at the same point in any of the last 4 years....and more likely the past 8 years....

Is that enough sunshine?

3. respite_cdd

respite_cdd BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2009
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've followed this team since July of '02, and this is the best I've felt about the Galaxy three games into the season in that time. I keep looking at the other teams thinking "who's going to beat us?" Don't know what it was like in '98, but I imagine the thinking was similar.

4. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is fun :D

Has someone mentioned that we haven't given up a goal?! Not one single freaking goal! The last time we conceded was March 4th vs. SDSU. Since then we've had 7 consecutive clean sheets (4 friendlies, 3 league matches) This is due to many things- firstly, Bruce's (the Anti-Ruud Gullit) style, valuing team defensive commitment over anything else. Obviously there has been stellar individual play too.

Ricketts is SUCH a beast (momentarily disregarding that he would get injured in a collision with dora the explorer) and should take alot of the credit. Gonzo shows no sign of a sophomore slump and has been outfreakingstanding. The only question with him is how much longer we can hold him before he moves on to bigger things. Leonardo has been shockingly solid as an unknown rookie who doesn't even speak english.

That's the main thing that jumps out at me. It might not be as exciting as the unorganized, chaotic, eight goal games of the Ruud Gullit era, but it's nice to actually look like a professional team. Its a tiresome adage, but defense really does win championships. If you don't give up goals, you won't lose.

The scary thing is, we're still not playing very well. I know we can do much better, especially in the midfield. But because we're so organized and have the defensive commitment, we've still been able to get three perfect results while massively underachieving. Wait until things start going on all cylinders.

5. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We haven't really created many chances in our past three games, which worries me mightily. Defense wins championships, but we can't count on Buddle putting away nearly every chance he gets as he has done these past three games. I'm hoping this is just an effect of Bruce asking the team to park the bus after going up early, and thus we aren't creating chances because we aren't heavily attempting to. Its not pretty, but it gets results.

6. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm all up in the "happy we're having a good year!" coolaid. My only real worries, aside from the offensive kinks to work out, come from the schedule. Every year has some oddities and hard stretches, but here's what stands out:

April is an easy month. The only powerhouse team we play is RSL, and we get them at home. KC should be OK for at least a road draw, even at the Community America Ballpark.

May is tough. 6 games, and 4 roadies, including Seattle and Columbus.

WC games for Donovan to miss look like 4. May 29, June 5, June 9 will all be in camp, and with any luck he'll still be over the on June 26. (Assuming and hoping we'll be out of the group stage and still playing.)

That's not as bad as it could be, but that's a tough stretch to be without your top player. It could easily have been 6 or 7 games, though, so I am glad for the break.

July has back to back roadies against United and the Revolution. (Ives was complaining about the Red Bulls having back to back cross-country roadies, but it happens to all teams in the league.)

October gives is a nice run-out of the year. Three home games and Chivas, Union, Rapids, and Dallas all on the schedule. If we're fighting for a top playoff place at the end of the year, there's a good chance we'll pick up a lot of points in those games.

7. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How'd it feel to write that?

8. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I threw up a bit in my mouth and for some reason I kept seeing this one PK go over the top of the bar...

You're right, really bizarre. And United and Houston seem like patsies. Upsidedown world.

9. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS2010 - it's a whole new world.

10. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I recall, in 1996 we went 7-0 to start the season. Can't remember how much the crapshoot played into padding that statistic, however if we can manage to start this season 7-0, my head may explode:eek:

11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    In that case if we reach 6-0 I advise you to not watch the 7th game in front of any loved ones. And in consideration of others you might think about wearing a shower cap.

12. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our top-secret Galaxy Bionix(TM) team of scientists should clone and grow additional Ricketts' limbs in their petri dishes and have them at the ready to replace any injured limbs. (Preferable on the field.)

Topper

:D :D :D

13. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Limerick

I would like to see this thread after the first loss. When your Ned Flanders world comes to a skreetching halt.

Then we will see all the complainging and whining and second guessing which I personally am waiting for from most of you.

Viva our first loss... and the subsequent sky which will fall soon there after.

14. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Go Limerick

Got to admit it, TJ. You beat us all to the punch, whining, complaining and second-guessing BEFORE the team ever lost anything.

15. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, the Flanders Ultras are ready for the reckoning . . .

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_VHJtTJlkM"]YouTube- Yay!! Judgment Day[/ame]

16. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calexico, great thread. Here's what I want to do, I want to GLOAT. It's been awhile since we've been on top of the league in such an unquestioned manner. Plenty of MLS teams have started out winless and ended up strong, and vice versa, I realize it means nothing, but it still feels GOOD.
    He is my personal hero. The kid is a heck of a soccer player. I thought I could see him learning and growing by leaps and bounds as the Houston game progressed. Donovan will teach him a ton if they can play midfield together for a whole season. I have loved his game from Day 1 - the speed, the grace, the multiple skills, we are so lucky to have him, and I'm grateful that Bruce is putting him out there in a prominent role even though he's a west-coaster and not one of "his guys".

Not with his head he hasn't. I'm not sure he lost one of those last season either.

This is my husband's favorite part of this season. He can't stand poor "red-card" Gregg. Leo has not been perfect, but I love the calm he exudes. I'm not sure the young man's facial expression ever changes!

We have taken early leads and held on. What remains to be seen is what happens when we get behind. But the guys on this team have Plenty of Experience with that and I have faith they will not quit.

This is a team to fall in love with. Which of course means we'll be disappointed. La-dee-da - I don't care. This week I'm happy. How's that for over-reaction? I'll take it one game at a time :D

17. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, I knew this would happen because of our new super-duper uniforms!

Long live the tight shirts!

And those shorts that give the guys that extra, what was it, 4.4% leaping ability.

18. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that case Carey Talley should be on top of the league. The uniforms are "hawt" though, as they say on the MLSsoccer website.

19. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tell it to a life-long Cubs' fan. :(

20. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as far as RSL goes, you gotta respect what they did last year, but i'm still not sold on them.
    like us in 05, they snuck in, went on a tear and won it.
    and for 06, i noted that a lot of writers picked us to keep it up given that we were the "defending champions". and then we sucked, going right back to the kind of play that we were displaying before we went on our playoff tear.

despite RSL's run, they weren't a great team last year during the regular season, so thinking about them as a powerhouse isn't really on my mind. maybe they prove me wrong, maybe the prove me right, but i'm withholding judgment on their strength until later in the season.

by the way: LOVE the title of this thread!!!

21. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This explains a lot. My condolences, friend.

22. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I'm not hating AT ALL. I just think it's funny that in 2010, we've referred to RSL as a "powerhouse". Go back in time and tell that to your 2008 self and see what they say.

23. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. MLS has basically become the Texas Hold 'em of leagues.

Were you dealt a three of clubs and Kyle Beckerman? Well, you just may want to stick around for the river.

24. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love it.

25. Rudedeck

Rudedeck Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Section 107 Row A
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As a Marlins fan--I still owe a lot of debt to Steve Bartman. Give him my regards.

--Rude(beating the 'Evil Empire' in '03 was my fave of the two WS championships)Deck