Rumor: Sunderland interested in John Bornstein

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    Well, the thread is about a Sunderland rumor, and not a general "Bornstein abroad?" thread. And since the article references the Confed Cup, an already shaky rumor by itself is pretty much blown out of the water because the only thing Borney proved there is that he's not good enough for that level. Not "he was inconsistent" or "he struggled at first", but he was clearly a step below the technique, speed of thought, and tactical awareness required. And in the premiership, the demands aren't going to be any easier. Most weeks, he'll face an opponent of similar caliber.

I do agree that he's good enough to go SOMEWHERE in Europe. I just wish that MLS was able to hold on to guys like him.

2. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You said:

The fact is SOMEONE has to make you look bad. My read on your comments is that it doesn't matter if a U-12 team makes you look bad or if Brazil does. I would venture that Johnny B would be okay against a U-12 team. So would most pro players. And most pro LB's would look average to terrible against Brazil or Italy playing in the style the U.S. does and a man down.

Exactly my point.

3. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

I have and I agree with you. I would also add that having watched him throughout this entire cycle I believe he has shown very good improvement.

Here is where we differ. I think we've seen a number of good defending prospects come through the pipes with the tools for the job only to fall flat at the IQ level. I believe a move abroad NOW would expedite improvement in this area. I agree that the EPL is not a good fit. I'd like to see him in a lower league for a few years and then shoot for a contract in one of the BIG leagues.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    From what I've seen in Europe this season, the top Isreali teams are pretty darn good. Maccabi demolished a pretty good Red Bull Salzburg squad in the qualifying round, and has given Juventus and Bordeaux all they could handle in the group stages. Hapoel is leading their Europa League group that also happens to have Celtic and Hamburg in it.

I think that would be a very good place for Bornstein to go. We'll see.

5. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A move to Europe would be a win-win situation for the US, but maybe not for Bornstein.

Only two things can happen if he goes to Europe: (1.) he improves and gets playing time enough to secure his starting spot and win over some fans. (2.) he doesn't improve enough, sits the bench, and Bob is forced to look at other options which would likely please the fans more. Bocanegra would become the #1 option (depending on the health of Onyewu and Demerit); despite the ignorant bashing of fans, numerous coaches have felt that Boca is quite good as a LB. OR Spector or Hejduk or someone gets the nod.

As for Bornstein, I'm not sure. He has to make sure he goes to a league where he isn't outmanned. I think Holland would be ideal for him considering how Beaz excelled with PSV.

6. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is why he will end up in Israel or Turkey. Lower level of competition for the starting 11 and a hefty pay raise (plus in Israel he wouldn't count against their foreigner limit).

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Sunderland interested in John Bojjjrnstein

Folks,

References to lines from old funny movies notwithstanding, if you've got some pet hypotheses about how Jewish people act/are/think/whatever, please save them for the newsletter you publish from your kitchen table. Do not post them here.

8. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bornstein has some qualities that make him valuable. He has top end speed, he's left footed, and he is good at closing the angle and getting a foot on the ball and being disruptive. There have been times when he has been flat-out dominant on the left side, and there have been times where he has made mistakes that led to goals.

I think that Jonathan does have untapped potential as well, and as someone else said, that he needs to develop consistency. Bornstein playing consistently as good as he played against Costa Rica is a regular starter on most teams in most leagues.

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

very true. the goal he scored on CR in the last minute brought back memories of him flashing a header past me in a pre season high school game. i remember playing with him thinking he was amazing, and this was on a regular old gold level team in southern ca. he got no love until he finally transferred to UCLA and brought them home some bacon. i think people don't realize he's a natural attacker and is still learning how to defend, and he's improved at his defending albiet at a plodding pace. i could see him "getting it" in the next year or so and becoming our undisputed guy at LB.

10. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until there's actually some news about Bornstein getting attention from a foreign club, not stuff from a year ago. Can the mods close this thread? It's YA, and he's not abroad.

11. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I agree. We typically don't let speculation threads (of the type, "I think JB would be a great fit in the upper half of the Mongolian first division") go on for too long and this one has already taken its share of odd turns. In this case, this thread was revived because a credible journalist mentioned Bornstein's "expected departure". The transfer rumors we let stand here typically contain just a little more than that (at least a potential club involved), and this type of sourced rumor was always going to lead to the sort of speculation I mentioned.

That said, folks should feel free to post away once more detailed rumors start flying around, if JB's departure is as certain as Ives has suggested.