News: Sunday, March 26, 2017

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK seriously, this thing in Minnesota has ceased to be amusing.

dredgfan, Len, Burr and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Mr.Bill

Mr.Bill Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Fargo
    Hey what's this lying around shit? Nothing over until we decide it is. Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No

Kappa74 and Sempuukyaku repped this.
  3. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it's not a good look at all. The fans deserve better. Is there anything they can do in the short term or are they just going to have to wait until the transfer window?

4. Mr.Bill

Mr.Bill Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Fargo
    Transfer window is what they have said

5. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    uh, isn't the transfer window still open til like may?

Honore de Ballsac and JasonMa repped this.
  6. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. I'm bad at keeping track of details like this. Who's actually moving now though?

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm waiting until after they play DC before I believe this.

onefineesq and tab5g repped this.
  8. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Help is on the way More MLS , NASL & OCARE rejects coming soon.

9. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Yes. Switch coaches with Atlanta United.
    I'm sure MLS can come up with a new rule just for that.

Burr repped this.
  10. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'm late on this, and since its such a light weekend for MLS - Euro Qualifying has way too many boring matchups.

When Saturday Comes and Burr repped this.
  11. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you think that shit is boring, tune over for a few minutes of the women's NCAA ball championships.

When every game is over by midway through the second quarter, there ought to be a rule that allows you to switch places with the cheerleaders. Just to make it even.

vmax71, crew2112, bbsbt and 1 other person repped this.
  12. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they believe now? Or did they before? I'd love to know how soon the players realized the team wasn't just below average like the normal expansion team, but terrible on an historic level.

13. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Sorry. I was editing my post and finally lost interest (also wasn't sure if maybe it's too early in the season for panic) so I just deleted it. But yea, I feel for the players - you know they're working hard in practice and giving it all in games; but nothing's happening. The thing is, if the defense could just get organized to the point they cut the goals-against in half (6 to 3 - shouldn't be an impossible task) suddenly they're in every game.

It also doesn't help that their expansion partner, Atlanta, is looking really, really good right now.

14. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In defense of Minny--Atlanta right now seems to be the exception. Very rarely are expansion teams ready to roll out and take on the world in their first season. A typical MLS rookie season for a franchise is a painful exercise in learning what it takes to compete in this league. Tata Martino seems to be going against the grain as far as being a foreign coach in MLS who is experiencing success. Then again the season is young... let's see where we are at mid summer with both of these franchises and then check again in the fall.

15. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fortunately the new asshole who owns the NeoCosmos feels that this is a tremendous lesson for MLS about how they're doing it all.wrong.

He says that since the 'Mo's won the NASL last year that they should have moved up instead of Minnesota. Then, says he, the Mighty Mos would be kicking ass instead of watching Manny fail dismally

He says that he will be addressing this promotion issue in the future because, he says, he can show the US how they've been doing soccer all.all . wrong and he will be happy to set them straight.

(Presumably this also means wed be seeing his team play in a 3000 seat baseball stadium. But that's not important)

zensum repped this.
  16. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez--it feels like the movie Groundhog Day. Just when you think NASL and Neo Cosmos would have learned their lesson and started to concentrate on bettering their product there they go again playing the old and tired "let's attack MLS to get ourselves over" card. I'm sure that Westervelt is thrilled that Cosmos has brought up the spectre of pro-rel once again.

If Der Kommissar is truly serious about wanting the Cosmos to compete in MLS he needs to begin talks with The Don and the MLS Expansion Committee, rather than wasting hot air arguing a pro-rel scenario that has no chance of happening right now. Seems like he's just trying to get over with a very limited section of the soccer fandom. It seems almost like a religious creed in some parts of US soccer fandom that in order to be "credible" you have to attack MLS.

Kejsare, zensum and sitruc repped this.
  17. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, you know...someone in the league scheduling office could have asked the musical question, "How come we're making Minnesota play a match during an international window?"

Wonder how Atlanta would have done this week without Almiron, Carmona, Jones and Martinez?

4four4 repped this.
  18. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, teams playing on international match days volunteered for it rather than having a midweek game at another time.

Really not ideal for a bad team with a surprising number of players on national teams.

19. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    #20 Len, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    @Bluecat82 just a fyi........I'm on your side. I want MN to do well; takes me back to the good ol' NASL Dallas Tornado v Minnesota Kicks days.

EDIT: My best friend at the time was a GK and since he was short, he always used Tino Lettieri as inspiration.

4four4 and Bluecat82 repped this.
  20. Cirris

Cirris Member+

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Heath is going to be Minnesota's Jason Kreis. That guy that holds a spot until the real coach arrives to take his place.

The real coach will probably be NY Cosmos, Savarese. They had interest in him this past offseason. But Cosmos wanted a shit ton of money for a transfer fee. something like $1-2 million. Minnesota knew better than to ask permission from Garber, as all transfer fees are partially negotiated by the league. So they went with Heath.

Savarese's current deal runs out at the end of the season/year.

BTW, watching the Rio Grande Valley FC vs. San Antonio Spurs FC USL match. DAMN! RVGfc have a nice stadium for a lower division team.

21. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It must continue. As a lesson to the others.

Len, EvilTree, Kejsare and 3 others repped this.
  22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sigh. And there's nothing wrong with the game, itself. I shoot 10-15 relatively high level women's basketball games per season.

Frankly, we're all just waiting for Geno to retire. It was somewhat interesting when Pat was around to give him a run.

Next year UConn could go undefeated - if he gets Duke transfer Azura Stevens to play to her potential. She's kinda a Magic Johnson (not that there'll ever be another one of those). She's 6'5" with a close to 7 foot wingspan, and I'd say her natural position is as a 2. Hopefully she has spent her transfer year jacking thee pointers.

JasonMa and sitruc repped this.
  23. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Eventually Atlanta's depth will be tested, and we will know for sure just how good they are... IMO teams make the playoffs based upon the strength of their 12-18 players on the roster...

4four4 and Bluecat82 repped this.
  24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I despise some of the other coaches much more than I could ever dislike Geno. Mulkey has been showing everyone who she is. VanDerveer has disgusted me for years.