Pre-match: Sunday evening DC United vs. Montreal 7/31/16

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by usadcu, Jul 28, 2016.

1. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    DC United hosts l'Impact de Montreal
    RFK Stadium, Washington, DC
    6:30 pm
    Newschannel 8

The second half of the back to back games against teams from our neighbors to the north.
    Can Drogba match Giovinco's drubbing of our defense from last week?

fun fact
    "First, we send a joint Army-Navy overseas force to capture the port city of Halifax, cutting the Canadians off from their British allies.
    Then we seize Canadian power plants near Niagara Falls, so they freeze in the dark.
    Then the U.S. Army invades on three fronts -- marching from Vermont to take Montreal and Quebec, charging out of North Dakota to grab the railroad center at Winnipeg, and storming out of the Midwest to capture the strategic nickel mines of Ontario.
    Meanwhile, the U.S. Navy seizes the Great Lakes and blockades Canada's Atlantic and Pacific ports."

[​IMG]

asitis, Oveki8, fatbastard and 2 others repped this.
  2. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must win. Have to score more than one goal to win, it'll probably take three.

I see a 2-2 tie which will be spun into a moral victory, and a get em next week.

I don't think it'll be dull, though. I really hope Sam, Nyarko and Mullins get the start, and DeLeon plays inspired in place of Jeffrey. He's oh so due for a great game. Acosta still isn't what he could be, how about now?

What's up with Hamid's hand?

3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see this as a must win as well - though I may be convincing myself otherwise on the walk back to Lot 8 depending on the performance :)

I saw about 15 minutes of the All-Star game and Drogba looked decent - I kept hoping since they were playing an English side and they're supposed to be tough, that he'd get knocked out and have to miss a game, but no luck.

RFK is supposed to be a fortress (although one with cracks in the cement big enough to drive a Panzer thru), so I say:

DCU - 3
    Expos -2

Speaking of which, do you think they're fans are mad DC stole their baseball team, or thankful we took it off their hands?

Supposed to have been a minor tweak to an off-season problem, we'll see. We're apparently tough on hands as one of our backup GKs has what they called "a severely dislocated ring finger" and is out (not that he's ever been "in" for anyone but the Kickers).

DCUSA and Winoman repped this.
  4. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably don't realize its gone.

Winoman repped this.
  5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    They sent him to a Swedish clinic that specializes in hand jobs.

JoeSoccerFan, roadkit, Boloni86 and 5 others repped this.
  6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Yes it is but with DCU's home record it is a fortress for the occupying forces.

7. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    There may not have been a lot of them, but from basically all of the ones I've met up there, yes, they are still mad. Mostly mad at MLB, not so much at DC though.

8. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there something at RFK on Saturday? Why the Sunday night game if no national TV?

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe because the ASG was Thursday? Are there any MLS games Saturday? Otherwise, good question ... I ********ing hate Sunday games.

DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  10. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yea, good point.

NYC host Colorado tomorrow, but the rest are on Sunday

11. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Does anyone want to watch DC United, besides the hardcore fans! (that would be me and some others)

Winoman repped this.
  12. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After today's metro meltdown, I would say driving is probably my means of getting to the game.

Oveki8 repped this.
  13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    What if they counter by blocking off I95 at the FL / GA border with their legions of Winnebagos that slipped down from Quebec under the radar? They might think all of Canada for Florida is a fair swap at least in December when they pretty much occupy the state anyway.

usadcu and Winoman repped this.
  14. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    More like a must tie.
    A win is too much to hope for against ol' man Drohgba and his career second wind.

Then again, that was my thinking before the Laughing Cows came to town. That resulted in Dax issuing his now- famous mea culpa tweet to all the 68 Cows fans out there.

So, who knows?

15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    It could be the right time to organize some slug line pickup points from the burbs to RFK and perhaps all other locations once "served" by metro

Winoman repped this.

#8 Member

Jul 5, 2000
    Washington DC metro
    Can't watch - News channel 8 in magnified SD (DirecTV) = fuzzy blobs that I can't make out the numbers or names on the jerseys. The ball ends up outside of the camera every couple minutes because of the magnified picture - such a joke.

17. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    According to the story in the WashPost, the team had a players only meeting, so hopefully this energizes the team and inspires them to put in a solid effort against Montreal!

Winoman repped this.
  18. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff's expected lineup has Jeffrey starting and Nicky on the bench. I like it, but it remains to be seen if Benny can get over his NDL attachment.

19. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ...and he cannot. NDL back on the wing, Acosta/Jeffrey in the middle (Nyarko on the far side), and Mullins up top.

20. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting XI: Hamid; Kemp, Boswell(C), Birnbaum, Franklin; Marcelo; Nyarko, Acosta, Jeffrey, DeLeon; Mullins

Subs: Worra, Robinson, Opare, Vincent, Büscher, Saborío, Igboananike

21. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    It is nice to be going into the half 1 up!

The team did look like they responded to the players meeting, hopefully they go the whole 90 minutes and preserve the 3 points!

22. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A strong half but so many wasted chances. Teams generally pay for that.

usadcu repped this.
  23. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is Neagle tonight. Did not see him on the injury report.

24. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You gotta be ********ing kidding me

Winoman repped this.
  25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good thing DC United traded for all those attacking players. That way we could score 3 or 4 goals against Montreal and beat them.

Winoman repped this.