Sunday 16 Dec 2018

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stuart95, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fumbled coaching hire spoils an otherwise great week for the Galaxy
    https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-galaxy-offseason-20181215-story.html

A Year After Kaká: A Look Back
    https://www.themaneland.com/2018/12/15/18142175/a-year-after-kaka-a-look-back

Report: Vancouver Whitecaps FC interested in Swedish defender Johan Larsson
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...-fc-interested-swedish-defender-johan-larsson

Concacaf Champions League champs Chivas crash out of 2018 Club World Cup
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...e-champs-chivas-crash-out-2018-club-world-cup

LAFC compile best moments of co-owner Will Ferrell and the team (so far)
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...moments-co-owner-will-ferrell-and-team-so-far

Bluecat82, superdave, Len and 1 other person repped this.
  2. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
  3. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The writer wants to paint the Galaxy as inept or dysfunctional. Which may be true. But I think he underestimates the unique draw that Columbus may hold for Caleb Porter. It seems entirely reasonable that Porter would want to go back to Ohio where he really made his name at the University of Akron. And the fact that he could be a part of the rebuild of the Club with a new stadium and training complex is no doubt exciting. He has cache in Ohio and will likely be given time to build a competitive team. If he used the Galaxy as a bargaining chip with the Crew good for him...

Ismitje repped this.
  4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe it's just the fact that Porter has a family and would like some form of long term stability. Moving your wife and kids cross country for a one year deal? That's not very stable, nor good for their well being.

Also he's done on record saying that he knows what he wants in his next coaching job. He wants a front office and ownership group that has a clear long term plan and vision for the organization and team. He turned down the Orlando job because of this. Don't be shocked if he ends up being Nashville's first MLS coach.

PJohnson repped this.
  5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that, at least in part, that its due to the MLS 3.0 mindset that Haslam is bringing to the table.

They're saying that the Gals made a strong financial offer they were confident he would take. They were shocked when Haslam bettered it. Columbus Ohio does not out bid Los Angeles.

Then LA said fine, we'll match Haslams offer, confident that being LA would make the difference, and were stunned when Porter said "No thanks"

I think partly it's that the guys leading the Galaxy are rookies and partly it's because Haslam is a close friend of Arthur Blank, who - they admit - talked him into coming on board.

The new paradigm in MLS is becoming one of cash: owners who will pay what they have to to get what they want.

I find it fascinating. Not because I'm a Crew fan but because I think its a sign of the emergi g new MLS. People are always clamoring for the owners to take charge, use their wallets and act like real owners act.

Well, here you go. Welcome to the future. The league is evolving and billionaires get what they want.

6. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Not really - its just pretty solid writing. The fact of the matter is the Galaxy have quickly turned things around, but their mismanagement in the post Arena world has put them in a hole. Failure to sign Porter due to contract length is an example (but I think it is good fortune as I'm not sure Porter is as good as Kinnear - and would have been committed to for longer and at more money). I had not been a fan of Baxter in the past, but he's moved past his post Graham Smith Eurolicking phase and has become a solid reporter.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a great development and I'm excited MLS is getting to this stage. This will, however, be a disaster for teams like the Rapids. But unlike some of the player salary exceptions I'm generally against this I'm in favor of, because the Rapids failure is all self-inflicted.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    an update for ssaturday's discussion re: alphonso davies- bayern munich's 2 aging star wingers- Robben and Ribery- are both leaving the club at the end of the season which opens the door for fresh blood... and Bayern loves fast wing-type of players AKA davies

https://bayernstrikes.com/2018/12/15/bayern-munich-winger-arjen-robben-psv-eindhoven/

https://bayernstrikes.com/2018/12/11/bayern-munich-sporting-director-hints-franck-ribery-exit/

earmarked for first team minutes in january - cant find the article but apparently it is in his contract and its why he started training with bayern in late november rather than going over january 1- potentially will be getting minutes as early as january 18

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/...yern-munich-1st-team-by-niko-kovac-517582.jsp

Bill Archer repped this.
  9. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    As much as I would love to read what Bill writes into Porter to Columbus over LAG, its hard to ignore Caleb's ties to the Midwest. LA matched the Crew's offer. Give the "tongue bath" that he is getting the Crew "Fire Caleb Porter" thread, there is definite love there.

I don't see the Caleb thing as a turning point in MLS's history of the order of the Beckham signing. Rather, its a guy who enjoyed being wooed with a court side Lakers ticket deciding to take another job. Happens all the time.

10. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

In his contract that he has to play or be in the squad ?

Earmarked for the first team squad rather than Bayern II makes sense.

11. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS bidding war for coaches.....who would have ever thought?

What's next?

12. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    This sounds right, though it makes me wonder why the Crew wouldn't go for Schelotto rather than an "Ohio guy" ...if they're following the lead of Atlanta United.

Some of these markets really dig international flair. See Tata and Barco fever. Salt Lake liked being called Real apparently, Kansas City is Sporting, Madison wants to have a Football Club. No need to rebrand or completely ditch the hard hats, but I'd heard since year one that adidas, in coming up with a rust belt/ Joe Lunchpail brand identity for the Crew, had shown their ignorance of the cultural and economic dynamics of Columbus.

If I were Columbus, I'd be all about "bringing home" GBS rather than Caleb Porter. They've already nailed the Nordecke / Bayern flag with Dortmund colors/ Bundesliga 2 rivalry with FC Cinci. They already have the brew pub and Barbasol plebe/ tat shop appeal. Now you really bring the World's Game home - like it maybe feels when Dos a Cero comes 'round.

Bill Archer repped this.
  13. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Quakes could be tweaking their no hablo, no-nonsense tough guy act this year.