Summer Transfers, 2008

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, May 19, 2008.

1. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I agree!!! Come on home Keano!!

2. davidblue

davidblue Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Waterford
    Keane is Spur's talisman and they should not entertain any bids for their vice captain particularly any bid including that stick Crouch !

3. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Robbie is well-settled at Spurs, and I think they are set to have a very good season. If I were Keane, I'd stay.

4. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The lads heart is in Anfield tho.

5. Shamrock Rovers

Oct 4, 2007
    Lima, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see Noel hunt in the premiership. I think is good enough to get it done, but it does not seem the EPL clubs are after him. What is with Roy Keane? If he cannot manage the national side he will just bring them all to Sunderland.

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    They were all set to have a very good season this time last year....

And if they are going to sell Berbatov, why would he want to stay?

He's about to be 28 and I'm sure he wants some trophies soon.

Torres and Keane would form the best strike force in the premiership.

7. davidblue

davidblue Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Waterford
    Spurs have signed Dos Santos Gomez and Modric and more signings are expected.
    As for Berbatov leaving no rumours are currently out there !
    Keano obviously loves Spurs as could be seen from his totally over the top reaction to last year's cup win , by the way what did Liverpool win last year ?

8. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Does Benitez even play anyone up front with Torres?

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Woooow you won the Carling Cup:rolleyes:

We've been to two CL finals in 2 years winning one, and 3 semi's in the 4 years. I'd say we have a pretty decent chance of winning it again in the near future.

With the addition of Torres, the return of Agger, the addition of Dossena and the possible additions of Barry and Keane we will be title contenders.

Honestly, with Berbatov leaving Tottenham will be fighting it out in the middle of the pack again, with maybe a Uefa Cup place to gain.

Modric is a good player, but you haven't signed Gomez yet, and Dos Santos will take a while to adapt to the EPL. Remember what happened with Nery Castillo at Man City?

All I'm saying is if you had a choice, most people apart from Die-hard Tottenham fans would choose Liverpool.

10. Deise Boy

Deise Boy New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Robbie Keane should stay with Spurs , Liverpool won nothing last year and are unlikely to do so for some seasons as the American owners fued will tear the club apart.
    Despite the Berbatov rumours nobody has come in for him yet.
    Gomes will sign without a doubt.
    Finally would Robbie move from London to Liverpool , it's kinda like moving from Paris to Beirut !

11. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    How about Doyle and Hunt to Sunderland?

12. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Richard Dunne has ended all speculation by signing a new Man City contract

13. paddywhack

paddywhack Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Liverpool are apparently willing to give up Finnan as part of deal with Aston Villa for Gareth Barry. They're evaluating him at around 1.5 million pounds, I would of thought Finnan would be worth more. I guess my notion of him being a seriously under rated right back, is right. I'd take the him as part of a deal for Barry if I were O'Neil.

14. NY Hoop

NY Hoop Member

Shamrock Rovers
    Jun 3, 2003
    Dublin
    Club:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We??

KOH

15. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Yes We.

Liverpool would be a crap team if I and millions of others didn't buy their merchandise, go to their games etc.

I'm proud of my (although miniscule) part of that victory.
    ------------------------------------------------
    You should really get over yourself.

16. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He'd need to build a bridge to get over himself :D

17. Deise Boy

Deise Boy New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Quite agree with USA vs Ireland , I support Waterford United in the Eircom League ( the team that introduced good football to Ireland ) and Spurs as a mate of mine's father played for them in the fifties.
    Indeed if it was'nt for the English leagues great Irish players would never have had a chance , perhaps not so much now but certainly during the period from the fifties to the nineties

18. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Meanwhile, Crystal Palace have effectively released Clinton Morrison. They have withdrawn his contract offer, so he will be searching for a new club.

19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Whats the story behind that?

He scored 16 goals this season.

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Keane is a lifelong Liverpool fan and has made it clear that Liverpool are the only other club in England to which he would actively seek a move. Various rumors have him either telling Ramos directly or indirectly through back channels that he wants the move.

Interesting that after Spurs' first trophy in 856 years, that suddenly not winning anything last year is now a yardstick? Liverpool have had more success in the 4 seasons under Benitez than Spurs have had in, well, maybe ever, but at least 25 years+, to be charitable.

21. Deise Boy

Deise Boy New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    You are quite right Samarkand , I'm happy to use last season as a platform for Spurs and particularly given the new signings they have made next season should be better.
    On the other hand given Liverpool's financial woes ( apparently they have'nt the money to sign both Barry and Keane ) I think you will be reflecting on the years gone by as the glory years for some seasons to come.

22. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Liverpool still have had more success in the 4 seasons under Benitez than Spurs have had in, well, maybe ever, but at least 25 years+, to be charitable.

23. Deise Boy

Deise Boy New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    History Samarkand History !

24. NY Hoop

NY Hoop Member

Shamrock Rovers
    Jun 3, 2003
    Dublin
    Club:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well over myself!!

You should be supporting your local club not spending money on a club with no connection to you.

KOH

25. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    And what if your local club is a piece of shit along with all of its fans and nearly all of the fans in your country are **********?