News: Summer Transfer Window Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Everton' started by ark215, Jul 23, 2010.

1. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Money could go to charity for any game so that point is ridiculous. These games at the end of the day are about building up to the big kick off.
    The time to be playing this standard of opposition was weeks ago when it was all about fitness, we needed to be playing an athletico or like at this time to get us ready for the challenge ahead. All we got last night was shooting practice and new keeper Mucha working on his goal kicks as he had nothing else to do

2. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Yeah but it doesn't, does it? The money from this did, so it's not wasted, it's going to a good cause.

3. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Yeh excellent point, you got me there!:rolleyes::D

4. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let's just agree to disagree over things. We are all entitled to our opinion whether right or wrong or some gray area in the middle.

I understand sticky about wanting higher level competition leading up to season. But I don't think this one charity game was a bad idea. Getting our new guys time playing together is only going to help and having it in a game where that's all they have to worry about (as in not having to worry about Constant defending) might help them.

Doesn't really matter if you or I or both are right or not as what's done is done and the game did raise money so no point complaining now :)

5. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quality of opposition really doesn't mean a whole lot in preseason. These guys are professionals. It's about gaining fitness and playing together as a team as well as to give Moyes a chance to see some of his new players.

You'd also like to build a bit of confidence. Playing the likes of Atletico or AC Milan, Bayern Munich, or any clubs that would be considered equal or higher standard could have just an opposite effect if we were hammered.

Of course I guess it could be worse, we could have played these teams and lost and then what?

Exhibit A: Kansas City Wizards vs. Manchester United.

6. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I will stop there billy boy. The rest will be rubbish if thats anything to go by

7. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In scrimmages, you always want to try to play teams that are equal or better quality than your team. Teams improve by playing against opposition that is better than they are, not playing lesser quality opposition. Just like teams learn more from losses than from wins. Many coaches or managers will tell you that a loss is a good thing from time-to-time. They are able to use material from losses to coach the team much more than from wins.

When I played club ball, my coach use to schedule scrimmages against teams that would absolutely beat us up and down the field. Those scrimmages gave us material to work on in practices for days.

8. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Very true mate.

Bill seems to think its a coincedence that we normally play the stronger opposition towards the end of pre season. Now i wonder why that is eh bill!! LOL

9. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I see merit in both stronger and weaker preseason games.

How about we leave it at that and not start fighting again.

Thank you.

10. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is all this even in a TRANSFER WINDOW thread?

11. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Not trying to tell you how to do your job but a forum is for discussion and debate. This watering down type moderating will only drive people away and not encourage what makes a forum.

12. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No one liked my count down to kickoff thread :'( ...

13. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh I don't mind debates and discussions but I sure as hell will not stand for the petty pissing matches that were going on. If I have to remind every time so be it. The other option is to have bans handed out to the ppl causing the trouble... The ones whose posts keep getting reported. I say pick your poison.

This is for everyone: Abide by official ToS and we will be golden. That includes no personal attacks, etc.

14. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've had two:p

15. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're going to continue to be a prick, please, by all means don't stop on my account.

But the fact that you stopped there tells me you really couldn't argue bring any facts to the table.

Next time you reply, please...do try and do better.

16. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't agree with that.

Preseason isn't about improving. It's about getting fit, getting players up to fitness levels needed to compete in the Premier League, getting the new players to adapt to their teammates. If improving was the goal, then NOT ONE European club would come over to play against MLS opposition in preparation. After all, the MLS is a "lesser league" compared to the European leagues.

I'm not worried about Everton learning from wins and losses in meaningless preseason matches. I'm more concerned about them coming through unscathed and 100% fit for the season start.

And no, there are no "good losses." No professional manager will ever tell you that.

17. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha...pot meet kettle.

"A forum is for discussion and debate."

Translation: My opinions are always right and everyone else is wrong.

Halewood, if anyone leaves the forum, it won't be because of the moderation. It'll be because a tiger can't change it's stripes, the sun rises in the east, and you'll continue to be a grade A assclown. ;)

Here's an idea. Why don't you give it another shot on GOT, Kipper or NSNO. Oh, wait, they won't put up with your bullshit either. Hmmmmm...I see a pattern here. Yes, it's becoming clear now. That's it!!! All those forum moderators are idiots and you have been clearly misjudged by ALL of them.

You weren't long for those forums and I guarantee you won't be long for this one. Hey, if worse comes to worse, you can come wow us hick Americans on the Dynamo forum with all the vast football knowledge you've gathered over the years while watching from one of the obstructed views at Goodison.

Have a great day.

18. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    You havent got a clue Billy boy.

We play pre season games to gain fitness and to get them ready for the new season. Thats why the shitter opposition tends to be at the start and we play the better opponents towards the end to get them ready. This is why we nearly always play a decent euro side at home, its not rocket science even for you.
    Next time you want to be schooled, give me a shout

19. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Kipper? Still on it sunshine, so your talking through were the sun dont shine.
    GOT - Was banned because an american owner didnt like a taste of his own medicine
    Nsno - Well what we can we say, its no surprise its got the biggest turnover of members due to its owner

As for the the long bit? Are you on drugs on something?

Was on Nsno when it started and helped build it up and same goes for GOT, i was one of the longest members on there with the goat and toccyblue so when your ready to speak some truth then please reply, maybe 1 day you will actually have a point

20. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Deal for Arteta!

http://www.evertonfc.com//news/arch...dium=rss_feed&utm_term=Arteta+Agrees+New+Deal

21. chicoazul

chicoazul New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Just want to point out that the mods do a super job on here really, and I agree with everything that Mr Bill says without having to read it.

22. StickyToffee

StickyToffee Red Card

Jan 21, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Yaaaaaaaaaaawn

23. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I would agree that always isnt the right word but more often than not would be the right phrase.

Yes, fitness is important but everything is about improving. That's the reason team's train is so that they can improve.

Wrong. Any coach in any sport in any level will tell you that a well-timed loss is just about the best thing that can happen to a team for a learning and improvement standpoint. It is very hard for coaches to get through to a team that keeps on winning. Players are more open to listening to their coaches after a loss. It also gives the coach something to lean on. A played a lot of sports on a lot of different levels for years and my most productive practices as an athlete in all sports was after an ass kicking. Nothing produces drive in an athlete more than a swift kick in the ass. I doubt there is an athlete out there that will disagree with that.

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, our offseason wasn't quite as bad as Villa's apparently. Wow.

25. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That didn't last very long.