Summer transfer window 7/10-8/9

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by firstshirt, Jun 6, 2017.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we are 41 days away from the transfer window. Are the Revs working on upgrading the roster? Do they feel this mediocre bunch has what it takes to make the playoffs? After all that is really a successful season in their view. Portland is rumored to have already signed a 29 year old CB from Kayserispor in Turkey and will be ready to play when the transfer season starts. Highly doubt this club is even close to a signing. Probably have not even started looking. All that said where can this team improve? Another CB or LB? Is Farrell as good as it gets at RB? Could be be upgraded? Another attacking option in the midfield? Another forward? Thoughts?

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're always thinking a window ahead. Meaning, they're already focused on January. ;)

Bilello was out in the lot last game (or the one before), and said they had made two offers to summer additions but both had been rejected. I suggested they change the offers from $50k/year to $55/k plus a 15% discount at the CBS Scene. He wasn't amused.

Jon Martin, RevFan, pwykes and 7 others repped this.
  3. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are any coaches available during the transfer window? ;)

metoo, VTSoccerFan, eric_appleby and 3 others repped this.
  4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least now they are covered in the "we tried" department...

pwykes and firstshirt repped this.
  5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't strike me as a team that would keep at it. maybe its me but I get the feeling that if players A and B reject offers they are inclined to move to players C and D rather than make better offers. I am sure they don't go in with their best offer

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do we need new players? We're on the cusp!

Seriously, it would be nice to have some more details on these 2 players who turned us down. Were teh Revs out of their league (literally), by offering a $500,000 contract to a guy who was making twice that? Or was the money in the right ballpark, but he signed with another club in his home country or closer? Not much you can do about the second example. But if it was the first, that's a matter of barking up the wrong tree (clueless) and if it was a matter of them upping the offer to pay a little more, that could be a matter of their, um, fiscal inflexibility.

Or did it have something to do with the Revs themselves? Turf? Playing in a cavernous stadium with no atmosphere? Word on the street from agents or other players? It would be nice to have a little more info.

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post ;)

8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the chance to meet Mike Burns and make Slyde happy enough? ;)

On a more serious/curious note. When you've talked to Brian in the lot, in general, does he seem to get where we are coming from? I'm talking specifically about our annual, consistent on-field beefs with how the revs do things. Small roster, not much development, lack of summer signings etc. Not even the tactical naievety shown by Heaps, more the bigger picture stuff.

I could be wrong but he seems realistic enough to be our best hope for ANY change inside the org. The rest seem to be living in a Kraft worshipping fantasyland.

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he knows. I've made it clear enough each time. He knows fully well that when he's walking over towards me, I'm going to ask questions.

pwykes and NFLPatriot repped this.
  11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RevsLiverpool repped this.
  12. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he was coach of the week again this week. ;)

13. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 RevsRule, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    And Rowe made the prelim Gold Cup roster while Lee didnt.... even though Lee has better stats than others in his position that do get called in.

Just goes to show you that writers and NAT coaches are clueless. Heaps coach of the week? Why? We still are not above the playoff line. We beat a less than enthusiastic and short handed Toronto team and Heaps had little to do with it. Heaps can be coach of the week when we are 1/2 way up the table and start winning. Not gonna happen

Lee - I dont believe Arena will call Lee or Sacha ever again. He simply doesnt like them and thats the end for them. I also dont Juan really has any shot but at least he gets a call.

14. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Club stats don't always have a strong correlation with NT call-ups; that doesn't mean NT coaches are clueless. That's an extremely simplistic way of looking at things.

15. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    BERich repped this.
  16. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they are two completely different threads. It's just a pure coincidence that they arrive at the same results....nada, zilch, zero, nothing to see here!!

firstshirt repped this.
  17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm predicting that the biggest roster move we'll see during the summer transfer window is to move Kai Kamara to some other Eastern Conference foe for some combination of Garber bucks, Allocation money, TAMaRAMa-ding-dong, beaver pelts (only if it is Montreal or Toronto), or some other non-player asset.

Then that team will beat us out for the final playoff spot, but Heaps will be rewarded with a new contract because we "were sooo close."

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey I am sure there is some 18 year old kid from Pango Pango that the Revs may take on as a project for 40k.

19. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    This one is. He is going down the same road he went down last round and is little better than Klinsmann

20. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I have no problem at moving Kai for player(s). No cash, no money, no draft picks. Juan is simply to fragile to depend on as a starter.

Kai is too expensive for what he provides.

21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Last time around when we made it to the World Cup quarterfinals?

22. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Nope, I mean the 2006 WC where we were dead last in group E and only scored 2 goals in 3 games with one of those goals being an own goal.

U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulato explained Arena's dismissal (2006), stating that the U.S. was seeking a "fresh approach." My point is that the "fresh approach" needed in 2006 is once again becoming a problem in 2016. What we are seeing now is no fresh approach, that was also lacking with Klinsmann, and that I seriously doubt Arena will ever be able to muster one. He couldnt then, he won't now.

Doublecard repped this.
  23. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw in a case of beer, and I'd do it.

24. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    2006 was disappointing, but that was an extremely difficult group. It was obviously disappointing not to make it out of the group stage after the success of 2002 and the building expectations around the program.

The quote about a "fresh approach" is about Arena being in charge for two World Cup cycles, not about his style of management. Arena is a "fresh approach" on the current program/player pool following Klinsmann's six years in charge.

25. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like this thread is getting off topic