Summer Transfer Thread 2007 [R]

Discussion in 'West Bromwich Albion' started by DevilDave, Jun 12, 2007.

1. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, after finally getting over the disappointment and mild depression as a result of our failure at Wembley, I've just now finally got round to starting a thread on transfers in and out of the club.

The biggest stories right now are the players who will be leaving the club. The three biggest prizes are Curtis Davies, Championship Player of the Year Jason Koumas and our leading goal-scorer Diomansy Kamara. The latter two have publicly expressed a desire to go, and while I would hate to see them leave (Koumas in particular) I've virtually resigned myself to seeing them in someone else's colours, probably a Premiership team. This despite Jeremy Peace's insistence that none will go if we so choose.

Personally if we get an offer for Kamara from the Continent, I'd much rather see him sent abroad than to another English club. We've just turned down a £3 million bid from Blues... and I would hate to see him in Small Heath.

Koumas is unquestionably the most sought-after of our players; he could be heading down the road to the V***a, down to Reading or up north to Everton, Blackburn or Celtic.

We are certainly going to be bringing players IN during the close season, especially if we are able to cash in by selling one or two of our big stars. A name or two has been bandied about in the press, but we've yet to see any deals done yet.

2. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've not posted in a while, but the fact is there hasn't been much to talk about.

As we all know, Diomansy Kamara and Jason Koumas both want away, Kamara quite a bit more insistently. However, our chairman is quite adamant that we will see a significant payday from selling them, or they won't be sold at all. It doesn't matter what midless prattle might come out of the mouths of agents as long as the players are under contract. Apprently Fulham and a few other clubs are prepared to renew their efforts to pursue Kamara, and Wigan are reportedly ready to try again to bag Koumas.

Zoltan Gera has made a statement recently that he is unsure of his future at the club... and frankly I have to wonder myself if he figures into our plans.

Still waiting to hear on major signings of our own... which i fully expect will happen whether we sell one or both of the "Special K's" or not. It is encouraging, however, that Mark Venus said recently that our scouting efforts extend to the Continent, where we might be able to find a skilful enthusiastic player like Gera or Robert Koren.

3. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems the natives are a bit restless.

Curtis Davies is preparing to hand in his second transfer request. Kamara has just had one denied. You know Koumas is ready to follow suit.

Kamara seems to me the biggest moaner of the bunch. He scored bags of goals for us, but he was quite erratic in the final weeks of the season. I could do with seeing him go.

I don't like giving up assets, but at the same time I don't think we need moaners at our club.

Meanwhile, it appears we may be signing striker Craig Beattie from Celtic and French defender Gregory Arnolin from Portuguese club Maritimo.

4. hellymonder

hellymonder New Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Helmond
    I wouldn't mind personally seeing Kamara go indeed. Really not a player I like I guess, he just can't impress me. As long as Koumas doesn't go, what a qualities he has!
    -------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG] Martis played under Mowbray at Hibs

West Brom have signed Dutch defender Shelton Martis from Scottish Premier League side Hibernian for £50,000.
    The 24-year-old centre-back has signed a two-year deal initially, with the option of a further year.
    Boss Tony Mowbray told West Brom's website: "I worked with Shelton at the start of last season in Scotland.
    "He's not the finished article but has huge potential. I want to give him a platform to perform - he could become a very good player for our club."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Martis used to play hes matches in the Dutch First Division when he was 20 years old and he didn't stand a chance against Helmond striker Ivan Tsvetkov back then, but eversince then he has developed tremendously and now this must be his big adventure. I hope he can do good!

5. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's good to know things have finally begun to turn at the Albion. Hopefully Martis will be a good find, especially as we appear to be losing Curtis Davies, Paul McShane and Paul Robinson to other clubs this summer. We're basically preparing to rip the heart of our defence from last season out, so hopefully a few different faces will do the job for us.

6. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Diomansy Kamara may be the first of our want-aways to leave... a few sources are reporting that we are considering a swap deal with Fulham for their centre-forward Heidar Helguson.

8. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Perry, whom we released last month, is off to Luton Town. It would appear we're after a brand-new back four for next season.

9. hellymonder

hellymonder New Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Helmond
    It seems so yeah.

Think they can find some good players for it.

The first of the four might be Andy Todd, but Derby are on his tail as well.

10. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Special K's off to Prem clubs (one confirmed, anyway)

Sky are reporting that Joe Kamara has finally signed with Fulham, and we've agreed to allow Jason Koumas to negotiate with Wigan.

We'd better turn around and find replacements now that the transfer kitty's got a bit more money.

11. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Koumas and Kamara have gone (with Davies still pleading to leave) but we're seeing some progress on new faces at the Hawthorns.

It was reported today that midfielder Filipe Teixeira has signed for us from Academica de Coimbra of Portugal.

I'm not yet too optimistic that our squad will be as strong as the one we had last season, with two of our key pieces missing. Hopefully, the new lads will fit in well.

12. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Curtis Davies gets his wish and leaves the Albion, then it will be another former Luton Town defender, Leon Barnett who will be taking his place. Relegated Town agreed to sell him to us for a deal worth up to £3 million to them.

Earlier this week, we offered Portuguese defender Tininho a trial at the club.

13. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite a bit has happened since last I posted...

McShane is gone to Sunderland and Paul Robinson's move to Wigan has stalled for the moment, but as I mentioned above, it looks like we are starting fresh with a new back line this season... especially if some Prem club manages to make us a decent deal for Curtis Davies.

Speaking of defenders, Bostjan Cesar is the latest new face at the Hawthorns. The Slovenian joins us on loan from Marseille. Furthermore, our interest in Stoke City's Belgian defender Carl Hoefkens hasn't waned, but the Potters appear determined to keep him.

14. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to post on Morrison and Hoefkens joining us, but I'm glad someone did. We've now got a mostly brand-new squad, but we're a bit weaker up front. I am interested to see what Beattie can do for us in the Championship this season.

15. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    It will be interesting to see how it works out for WBA, you are at the same stage we were, letting the high earners and wantaways go and recruiting a new squad.

I saw Jason Koumas play for Wigan in the 2-1 friendly win over us, and he absolutely ran the game. Without him it could have been 3-0 to us. When he was substituted Wigan fell apart and spent the game defending their penalty area. I can't help but wonder why he chose to go there. I've put £10 on Wigan going down, but Koumas is far and away their best player.

TBH I think Curtis Davies will stay another season, and that the new players will be enough to get you into the Playoffs. I can't see much beyond Sheff Utd and Charlton for automatic promotion, but teams like PNE and Wolves seem to look weaker than in previous years.

16. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    According to Sky Sports News website, WBA have made a bid for Sheffield Wednesday winger Chris Brunt.

Have seen him play and he is quality. A future prem player only 21 or 22 although I had heard that Boro and Fulham were fighting over him.