Summer 2016 Transfers - The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by soccernutter, May 13, 2016.

1. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Bazoer would've been so much better. Still though, Dembele cover.

2. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BreakingDONE DEAL
    Sissoko joins Spurs

Newcastle and Spurs have signed a 'deal sheet', meaning the transfer of Moussa Sissoko is all done and dusted but gives the clubs a further two hours to finalise papers and make an announcement.

3. calmanalysis

calmanalysis Member

Aug 16, 2008
    NYC
    30M and a new transfer record for a player who wouldn't be in our first XI.

4. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    From this point on, my guess is that we'll be breaking transfer records every summer given all the cash in the PL.

The Double and Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  5. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Poch wanted to replace Mason and Bentaleb in mid, so he has gone out and got Sissoko and Wanyama, definite upgrades. It also gives some cover to the defense, as Dier can drop in to RB or CB if needed. Sissoko can also play on the wing, which gives us some much-needed pace. Don't know much about the youngster Nkoudou, but he also has pace.

We will need this depth for the upcoming fixture congestion.

SPUR-ious and The Double repped this.
  6. Merck

Merck Member

May 7, 2007
    Buford, Georgia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Well, crap...

7. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought Lamela was > 30M? I'm reading that NUFC owe us ~17M on Townsend + Yedlin so the outlay is not so bad.

Got my doubts about him though. Is he this year's equivalent of Frazier Campbell?

8. calmanalysis

calmanalysis Member

Aug 16, 2008
    NYC
    25.8M GBP according to Wiki.

Phillyspur repped this.
  9. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i guess the main thing that I am bothered by is Spurs probly coulda had Zaha who is 3 years younger, for half that.

plus they coulda added cover for Eriksen for the same price

who knows tho - maybe it will work out

10. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok this is interesting....

Sissoko was valued at £30million and Tottenham finally agreed to meet that price, although the structure of the payments means Newcastle would receive the full fee — in five installments of £6m — only if he stays for the duration of his five-year contract.

11. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015

I presume there’s also a sell-on clause of some sort, but yes very interesting. Sissoko will be a wash for the first year with the Yedlin sale, and if the accounts of Newcastle still owing Spurs money for Townsend he could be a a wash for a couple more seasons.

Not overly thrilled, but if the out of pocket cost ends up negligible it’s not a bad piece of business

12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    he's also a filthy johnniejacksonesque gooner.

jumhed repped this.
  13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    With all these Spurs players being sold, I amused myself by coming up with an Ex-Spurs Premier League XI. Here it is (4-2-3-1 formation and 5-man sub bench):

STRIKER: DEFOE (SUNDERLAND)

ATTACKING MID: CHADLI (WEST BROM) SIGURDSSON (SWANSEA) LENNON (EVERTON)

HOLDING MID: CAPOUE (WATFORD) HUDDLESTONE (HULL)

BACK FOUR: NAUGHTON (SWANSEA) LIVERMORE (HULL) DAWSON (HULL) YEDLIN (SUNDERLAND)

BENCH: CROUCH (STOKE) MASON (HULL) TOWNSEND (CRYSTAL PALACE) KABOUL (WATFORD) SMITH (BOURNEMOUTH)

Looks like a decent side, I would fancy them for mid-table with a surprise cup run!

soccernutter and Count Chocula repped this.
  14. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Posh gets involved in Eriksen negotiation - The Guardian

15. masoccerscout

masoccerscout Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Springfield, MA.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First Spurs window I can remember where the team comes out with no obvious holes / weaknesses in the team. Hope this translates to more success on the field

Count Chocula repped this.
  16. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I'm not so sure we are without holes. I would say we need another creative midfielder(if Eriksen or Lamela is not in form) who has the vision to provide the killer pass or moments of magic.

Sissoko is probably a direct player who uses his strength and pace to create space.

17. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This is just way too positive for this board. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you talking about? :D

As for holes...

Back up for Kane [check]
    Back up for Dembele [check]
    Speed on the wing [check]
    Preparing for CL [check]

The only holes are a clear back up for Eriksen, though Alli could fill that position. Spurs also STILL!!!!!!! don't have that dynamic leader that can carry the team.

19. SPUR-ious

SPUR-ious Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Hotspur America podcast had Lyall Thomas of Sky Sports. Good info on Levy, Poch, Mitchell and structure of club regarding transfer decisions. Recommend giving it a listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    until you realize that you're pretty much stuck with Gomes.

soccernutter repped this.
  21. calmanalysis

calmanalysis Member

Aug 16, 2008
    NYC
    You could also add Michael Carrick in for experience, Charlie Daniels in at left back, Dean Marney from Burnley although he likely wouldn't make the bench.

22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    it's happened again. I've had another dream about Son Heung Min. He was coming out of a restaurant here in Indiana, which struck me as odd, so I said to him, "sorry to bother you Mr Son, and I won't take more than a moment of your time, but I've been Spurs for over 40 years, and I just wanted to thank you for your contributions to my club". He seemed as surprised to see a long-standing Spurs fan in Indianapolis (I think that's where we were) as I was to see him there. So he smiles really big and says in his super heavy Korean accent, "you are Tottenham?" So naturally I pull my membership card out of my wallet (where it resides in real life as well as my dreams). At this point he's patting me on the back and saying things in Korean to his companions which I presume were very complimentary to myself and to Spurs. Then I thanked him for his time and tried to leave, but he keeps talking to me - very excitedly - about Spurs and how wondrous our club is. I don't remember many details about that, but after some time I mentioned to him that if his form continues as it's been, an upcoming goal celebration should be Harry Kane miming shining Sonny's shoes (the inverse of the when Son shined harry's). He laughed rather heartily and said "Harry Kane does not shine shoes". He also told me that the next time I'm over, he'll hold a VIP ticket for me.

What a great bloke.

A few nights back, I had a dream about this lady that comes into the café in my store. I'll keep the details about that one to myself (you're welcome); but I think last night's may have been even better.

jumhed, BalanceUT and Funkfoot repped this.