Summer 2009 Coming and Going

Discussion in 'Reading FC' started by Neeto, May 15, 2009.

1. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 players are already not getting new contracts for next year. Murty, Duberry, Hahnemann, and Lita are all leaving Reading. Next, I think we can expect Doyle to leave as well. This will be a totally new Reading team in August.

2. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize Dillon and Downes left too. I'm going to hardly recognize this club at all by the time August roles around.

4. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahnemann reflects on Reading exit:

Yanks Abroad

Class act that Hahnemann. Hope he gets picked up by a Prem club for a year or two.

5. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rumor is that he may play in Murty's testimonial. I hope he has time to do it and the fans show up to give him and Murt's the ovation that they both deserve.

6. SlackerMacker

SlackerMacker Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Club:
    Reading FC
  7. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we'll certainly be looking at a very different team come next season. I suppose things will start to take shape after a manager is brought in.

8. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/06/30/wolves-snap-up-6m-doyle-115875-21482579/

Kevin Doyle signs with Wolves. Well, you knew it was coming, but I do like the 6.5 million pounds we got for him. Good move for all sides I suppose. Good luck to Doyle, probably the best striker Reading has ever seen.

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2...ampton-reading-lead-race-for-chelseas-michael

Also, Chelsea defender Mancienne might be heading to Reading for a season long loan deal. I would love for this to happen even though he hasn't had a good Euro. This story has been picking up steam lately and this might happen this week or so.

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kelly, Pearce, Henry, Karacan, Bozanic, Long, Sigurdsson, Kanu, church are all 20 and could all be huge, as soon as this season (more likely next).
    Beyond that, losing Doyle, Bikey and S Hunt are blows.
    But we're a championship side with experienced midfield options of marek, harps, Cisse, Kebe and Tabb and the youngsters.
    Up top, Long is ready to be a full time starter, as is noel hunt, and mooney scores goals. We bring in one more, and we're very strong for the second, aren't we? But with church's devo, do we even need one more? (yes, I think).
    And at the back, Bikey hurts the most. I know, he didn't even start that often for us (what, with the red cards and injury), but he's class. Duberry and Murty (love them) aren't starters anymore. Bikey would've started under Rodgers, but Duberry and Murty shouldn't have made the bench. On the outside, Armstrong, Rosenoir, with kelly mean the backs are set with cover. Centrally, Pearce and Iggy (if he recovers) and Gunn make up at least one great full time starter.
    I hate losing Marcus, but he's a in a better place (the prem, not heaven) and I think we're strong with Fed and Hamer and the dane.
    Who else can draw on that amount of talent?
    Here are my thoughts, we need one very, very good cb. Maybe a top level left wing. And we need cover for right back.
    I think this team could be better than last year's version. There's enough experience that folks know what it takes, but there's also a huge amount of excitment, with young players and a new manager.
    This side feels like the 106 pt summer, all promise. Now, we won't get that again, but we, as copps put it, have every reason to expect Reading to be there or thereabouts next may.:)

10. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hunt's been pretty awful for ages. I don't think he's wanted to play for us for 18 months, an it shows.

I think we'd accept any non-derisory offer, and few fans would be sorry to see him go.

Doyle was different, but £6.5 million is more than anyone thought we'd get for him.

The key is how much we have to spend, and how much we will spend. There's still a feeling that our scouting policy is aimed at finding players who are very cheap rather than very good.

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it is kind of disturbing that rodgers has made it very clear smith is his priority, and we're getting beat by blades, just after bringing in the doyle money. and with what we'll get for hunt (i agree, tired of him) and bikey(whom I really regret losing) it will probably be about 11m when said and done. and we can't come up with 1.8m for a new manager's prize?

12. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, no signings yet. I'm getting a little worried even though we have a while until the transfer window closes. I think we need to sign a couple players after the departure of Doyle to fill in that hole. A striker, a winger(to replace SHunt), and a center back would be great. The Chelsea trio are still strongly linked to being loaned out to us and I do think we will get Smith this summer. If we get these 4 players, I would be happy.

13. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks for the heads up: the players

Devrite from hotspur and Bertrand from Chelsea. Very young. I don't think I've seen either play, i certainly don't remember them. does anyone? In any case, Rodgers does know young talent, so this should be good news. REally young back line, though, with ivar out, duberry gone and bikey leaving, that means Pearce is the old man? Sounds like Devrite will certainly have his chances.

15. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bertrand and Dervite looks for certain. I haven't seen any of these guys play except for Bertrand who I've only seen him once and thought was pretty decent. I've only heard great things from them so that is good. In all good transfers for Rodgers so far.

16. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Having watched the two pre-season games so far, a 5-1 win a Didcot on Tuesday night, with the vivid backdrop of a dramatic glowing orange sky, as the sun dipped slowly behind the cooling towers of Didcot B Power Station, and a less than inspiring 2-1 loss at Kettering today (regardless of what the BBC results page says), I think it needs to be said that we really really need a new striker.

Four years of occasional sub appearances have taken their toll on Shane Long, who really ought to have gone out on an extented loan at some stage. He still looks the same raw player he was at 18, and doesn't look at all ready to start games. Church, who does have experience, looks a better bet now.

Neither fill you with enough confidence to make you think they'll break 15 goals this season, and this season's apparent gameplan, with lots of one-touch passing and moving, is still a work in progress.

A new centre-back would also be nice, if only a loan signing for cover while we are a bit stretched in that area.

In both games Reading were far the better team, dominating possession as you'd expect, but failed to turn that superiority into clear cut chances and goals. Had there been more of a cutting edge, the 9 goals hit at Didcot last year would probably have been overtaken, and at least a couple more would have been added at Kettering. As it was, Kettering only had about 3 chances in the whole game (one a penalty), but managed to take two of them.

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Shame re: Long. Is Mooney simplyin over his head?
    This is the problem with a youth movement. Lot's of talent, lot's of exciting footiball, not so many results. They do a lot of things right, but they lack the ability to do the little things that lock away a match, and the knack of forcing goals.
    sigh

19. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not confident with having Long our starting striker. We need NHunt back, but who else can fill in that role. Richard, would you say Church is a better player than Long right now? I have read some match reports on these friendlies and Long doesn't seem to have produced anything while Church has done some good stuff. Mooney is another guy, but I don't think he is ready for the first team. I have been on the fence with Smith, but I think he is needed to help the strike force. The club needs another striker or you can forget about promotion.

20. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No idea about Mooney. I've never seen him play. He scored 3 in 9 for Norwich on loan, which isn't a great return (Lita hit 6 in 13 for the same team by comparison, albeit not at exactly the same time) bu they were struggling.

He's apparently quite poor in the air, but then again our crossing is pretty poor, so that's not an immediate issue as there'd be little for him to head anyway.

It definitely looks like a transitional season rather than a big promotion push this year. With a new striker and a bit of luck in getting the players to play the way Rodgers wants them to play, then the play-offs aren't unrealistic, but there's a definite rebuilding job to do.

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    if we get s hunt off the books, the club won't have any prem level salaries to deal with, right (course, the reports that he's on pds 40k a week are hardly official). i think we need a rebuilding year. and if we make playoffs, go up, because youngster devo faster than expected, that's gravy. i think the cupboard is very far from bare, but your report that long hasn't improved is a bad sign.
    my hope is that after 15 games, the younsters are good enough that we could make a run. the season though, might not be salvagable by the time they come around

22. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious about Coppell. Haven't heard boo about the man who was once rumored to be on the short list to replace SAF when he retires.

Anyone know if he's been connected w/any club?

23. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think it will be a rebuilding type year with a possible push for promotion via playoffs. I would say we would finish anywhere from 4th to 10th. The thing I am most looking forward to this year is integrating some of the younger players into the first team. Henry, Church, Pearce, and even Davies are all likley to see good playing time, and I am excited about each of these players. I would like to see maybe a transfer to bring in a young but good striker to build off of.

As regards to Coppell, I would say he is 80% done in football. I think he was just tired of it and needed a break. However, I cant rule out a surprise managerial role at a prem club.

24. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Coppell is currently over in the USA as it happens.

He's not job hunting though. He's just over to spend time with his son who has just graduated from a university over there, and is trying to start a career as a pro golfer (his son, that is, not Steve).

25. millwallmad

millwallmad New Member

May 31, 2008
    Perth Australia
    Agree on Shane Long stagnating. Saw him play last season and while his pace and workrate caused problems but technically and tactically he did look like an 18 year old. Really needs a confidence boost.

I saw Mooney at Cork and he did look quite decent to be honest. A real goalscorer, he is quick and a good finisher but he did look very raw in the Irish league which isn't too good. A lot of running round like a headless chook and crap touches, but out of nowhere he got two chances and took them both. Could make it.