Suggestions for who to run for head of USSF?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by RalleeMonkey, Oct 18, 2017.

1. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If we didn't make the WC with people that "supposedly" know about soccer what makes you think we make it with them? Lol Coincidence?

2. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I thought the smug politician was just a joke but I am beginning to think they were serious.

I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what if I told you youth soccer (and most all pay to play sports) focuses primarily on white kids and that, because of this, we're missing out on loads of talented players.

I'm not behind the Obama pick. Just a bit ironic that was your first criticism.

4. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So white kids are the only ones with money?

What if I told you that 6 Mexican-Americans here in South Texas under that pay to play system have being called up to a camp for the US Youth camp. And I know one of those kids parents personally. Yes, none are considered white, and yes, they all make good money because they work their asses off. White privilege doesn't exist.

And what if I told you that you also need to pay in Mexico to be on a team as a youth? Talent also gets left behind there, it's not only here. My cousin ,15 years ago ,(yes, I know I am old) wanted to be in Fuerzas basicas of Atlas and he had to pay, which he didn't even bother.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U r stupid

15 to 32 repped this.
  6. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sorry guys if I am hurting your feelings, I know you guys run on that. But I just replied to a comment I thought was a joke. Apparently it was real about Obama as the next USSF president. I should have replied with a; 'let's have Hillary instead that way she can be a president of something.' I am sure no one would have been upset over that comment and we all would have just continued talking about real contenders for the USSF and not be talking about politics while getting people's feelings hurt for talking about Obama.

TOAzer repped this.
  7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. The Clintons love Russia. They'd have found a way to bribe us to the WC. Or Bush would have invited Putin to his ranch again and said "let's git er done".

TOAzer repped this.
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    ?

TOAzer repped this.
  10. yankthisyank'swank

Oct 13, 2010
    After the “failure”, I thought about not bothering with Big Soccer for a while, but

03DC42F2-FD67-474C-9C6B-75403DA288FE.gif

TOAzer repped this.
  11. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obama as President of USSF? Ai, amigos, Young Jonathan Klinsmann, given the life of Methuselah, couldn't produce enough Ha Ha's to match what that suggestion deserves.

12. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's easy to love such a very fine paying customer. If I had such a fine paying customer, why, comrades, even I could learn to stop worrying and love Russia....;)

13. xyz1000

xyz1000 Member

Jan 8, 2003
    But seriously....

Wynalda: doesn't have the temperament to be a manager of a large organization.
    Landon: no management experience. This is not the same as being captain of the team.
    Stewart: haven't read anything about him being interested, but he doesn't like traveling (fear of flying).
    Jurgen: I'd say he'd be better than the three above, but I have reservations.

If this is the pool we're considering, then USSF is in big trouble.

TOAzer repped this.
  14. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    Wynalda really scares me.

I mean smart people are saying that us soccer is guilty of being to arrogant to see its flaws in the system. Can you think of a more arrogant person then Wynalda? the answer is no you can't

The other issue I have is his comments are already trump like and that scares me.

1)he says he'll fix the problems he has great ideas its not a problem. I mean could he maybe lay out some of those fixes or are they trump like miracle fixes?

2)he says he'll fix the women's pay problem he'll rip up their contracts and pay them exactly what the men get paid...umm does he mean across the board? I mean no more nwsl salaries will be paid by us soccer? no more benefits to women's players through us soccer? or does he mean he'll change their game bonuses to that of them men? will he start sharing profits equally I mean the men had the copa tourney and profited over 50 mill; the women had their four team tourney and lost money on it. will that go to one pot and be split evenly I mean he has to give details not just make dumb statements. I am comparing it to trump because it just reminded me of when he was talking about NAFTA and said he would take the us out immediately and rip up the agreement and make a better one for the us...then when he was elected and people actually explained to him how NAFTA works...he changed his tune and is going to keep it like it is.

15. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What nonsense. It's not Trump's fault that US Soccer is run by incompetent people. There are many long standing issues in the program from player development all the way up to coaching that have long existed before any of the above politicians assumed power. You know that as well as anyone else here.

16. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey look! You've made yet another terrible post that veers into politics!

Coincidence? I don't think so.

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I wouldn't piss on his leg if his pants were on fire.

TOAzer repped this.
  18. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    so are you saying you'd rather him take off his pants for you instead?

kids don't read that.

19. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are we even trotting out former players? USSoccer is a good ol' boys network, right? Why would we hire someone who's spent their entire career within the USSF establishment? Hell, a lot of those guys were salaried by USSF in the 80's and 90's. And nothing about being a player necessarily translates into being a good administrator with solutions to complex problems.

We need an outsider that isn't deeply entrenched with the governing body that just failed so spectacularly. Not an outsider who doesn't have any sports connections, a la Gulati, but someone who has some experience building up successful scouting networks and outreach programs. That's what we need.

We need to scout better players so that the YNT and MNT have the best talent. We need to scout for better coaches so that morons like Tab Ramos, Richie Williams, and John "My resume is entirely made up of failure... but I know a guy" Hackworth stop ruining the talent that we find.

And we need to reach out to kids early and often, especially in places where it has little penetration.Like trying to entice kids from Louisiana away from football, or kids from New York away from basketball. Which is not to say that this isn't something that's been tried before, I just think it needs more focus.

IMO, the PR, the "optics", and all that can take a backseat. I don't need another charlatan like JK that talks a good game, providing nothing. If the programs pay off, the coaching and development will improve. When that happens, the results will follow. And everyone's PR looks good when the results are good.

TOAzer and Master O repped this.
  20. xyz1000

xyz1000 Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Agree that former players aren't the only ones who should be in the mix of things. Think about the baseball commissioner. People like George W. Bush and Peter Ueberroth (actually became commissioner) showed interest. Shouldn't the USSF be looking into someone with leadership experience in a large enterprise?

21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do people keep saying stuff like, "why would we hire.." when it is an elected position? There is nobody to hire! Those in USSF are going to vote for whoever they feel will represent/fund their respective programs the best. USMNT is just a part.

superdave repped this.
  22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate Wynalda's passion to turn things around, but I'm not a fan of what he had to say. It was some empty platitudes and a bit about promotion-relegation, which is not changing in the next 15-20 years because of the public funding of stadiums and league buy-ins. Any prospective candidate should be talking about how we can work around it by:

- diplomatically convincing every MLS team it's in their best interest to have a minor league team and not ideally right in their backyards
    - setting up a robust regional scouting and playing network thru USS where those players expenses are paid

and also:

- making it clear to MLS that real growth in the U.S. will not be achieved without strong domestic base + national team
    - convincing them to kill the salary cap and single entity if they want to compete with top leagues ever (otherwise they should stop talking about this)
    - going around the country to convince youth players if they dream of being top pros it can't be thru collegiate system which slows progress and shortens careers
    - hiring coaches at the youth levels who have solid tactical nous and at the senior level sufficient in that area while making it clear they understand how important it is to keep the pipeline flowing from MLS to Europe with call-ups of players standing out in their first couple years and using some metric-based player analysis to be ahead of the game

Just like from a politician, I'll have qualms when I hear platitudes, bluster, and regurgitated ideas that are popular but not necessarily even the crux of the problem and there's no real plan laid out to resolve them (promo-relegation and pay-to-play).

23. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you think this? I really don't know as much as some of you I'm more of a recent fan (2010) and am still learning the game and how USSF works. I was never someone who defended Klinsmann and I wanted him gone for a while, but I do think he had the right "big picture" ideas and could be good in the role as USSF president. Why are you so against it? I'm not picking a fight, just want your perspective.

24. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    The "big picture" is actually pretty easy (IMO). I would guess that if you ask the vast majority of soccer people from AYSO parents to MLS execs and everyone in between (I know I am stretching the definition of soccer people a bit) I am sure that most would agree on a few basics as far as what we should aim for (end result) and many of those things are common sense/basic truths (again in my opinion) as far as things like better competition is mo bettah for development. Better coaching is important. HIgh costs to coaching education, youth soccer are huge barriers etc. (you probably get the idea). Most of those big idea soccer ideas are not soccer ideas but universal sport ideas. The problem is how to fix it. That is where you get the difference of opinions. I would venture to guess that many if not most Klinsmann haters, for instance actually agree with his "big picture ideas" but at the same time, disagree that he knows how to put them into action or believe that he has a false sense of cause and effect.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But would you if they weren't?
    Lighten up Francis. I replied to an accidentally stupid post with an intentionally stupid post to highlight the former's stupidity.
    Let's completely ignore Trump's policy positions, because some people are conservative and some people are liberal. Is Trump temperamentally suited to be POTUS? The answer is no, not unless you think his feud with the NFL over a transparently meaningless issue is a good idea. We could have gotten someone with Trump's policy positions on taxes and health care and foreign affairs who isn't a nutjob.

Whatever you think of Wynalda's policy positions, I'm sure there's somewhere out there with the same or similar policies who isn't a nutjob.