Suggestions for who to run for head of USSF?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by RalleeMonkey, Oct 18, 2017.

1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I am not embedded in the heirarchy of U.S. soccer culture, but I'll throw out Chris Klein. He played pro soccer for ever. He's been president of the Gal's for a while.

If you've got a better suggestion, throw it out.

2. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Reyna was on point in his comments and knows the business, at least a bit, from husband time in nycfc and the fed.

3. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earnie Stewart.

Tarnished a bit by his time in Philly, but checks every possible box imo.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
  5. CREN

CREN BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yankthisyank'swank repped this.
  6. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wouldn't mind Klinsmann tbh

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  7. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    15 to 32 repped this.
  8. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan, Stewart, or Reyna are all interesting options and preferable to Gulati.

russ repped this.
  9. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Of the 3 I would prolly rank them Reyna, Stewart and then Donovan.

First 2 have more exposure to other ways of doing things so IMHO would be more open to big changes. Landon may be too, but his pedigree is far more in the USS system than the other 2.

CREN and Mr Martin repped this.
  10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Wenger. Years as a coach, economics degree, knows a thing or two about youth training.

superdave repped this.
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shut your filthy whore mouth.

Gulati would be better. GULATI!!!

Hell, Wynalda would be better. I literally cannot think of a worse person for the gig than Jurgen.

russ repped this.
  12. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I don't know much about Reyna as an administrator type. (the only thing I know is that he was involved in changing the youth curriculum/guidelines....small sided games, practice to game ratios etc at USSF level). From what I know, Stewart seems like he would be a very good choice but I would rank Donovan the highest. Not based upon pedigree or experience but on personality. Donovan reallly seems like the thoughtful type that will consider alternate ideas (rather being stuck in a USSF rut or otherwise). Donovan seems like the type that has opinions (sometimes very strong opinions) but at the same time recognizes that he could possibly be wrong. I think that is a very good trait and points to someone that would be open to considering alternate ideas.

I also don't think that any one of the three you mentioned wants to maintain the status quo. The difference between the three will be degrees of change. I really have no clue where each stands on that spectrum.

13. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can. There's this economics professor who's been in charge for a long time...

I would take several BigSoccer posters over Gulati, so I'd for sure take Colonel Klink over him.

Hoping it's someone who has a good track record of butting heads effectively with the establishment.

I'd settle for someone who at least wants to put up a fight. If it doesn't work out great, at least we tried.

14. LamarHunting

LamarHunting Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm going to get crushed on this one, but here goes...

The next president of US Soccer needs to be someone that more than anything, will take bold steps to pressure all levels of soccer in the United States to strive to be world class. They don’t have to have the expertise to implement all the details, but they need to make that their platform. My 3 preferred candidates would be:

-Billy Beane, of Moneyball fame and needs a new challenge

-Mia Hamm, FC Barcelona Global Rep and sits on board of AS Roma

-Dan Hunt, President of FC Dallas, played the game, heavily invested in the game, and has overseen the implementation of a youth system that’s produced some great players both at home and abroad.

-Sigi Schmid, won pretty much everything there is to win in American soccer. He’s got an MBA from USC and has overseen

And a wild card:

-Barack Obama, will be relocating to Chicago at the end of 2018 school year; will need something to do while his library is built in Chicago area; probably a step down in stature from his previous job

I take Grant Wahl’s position, that the US needs to create a GM role that oversees reforms across the different levels of soccer. He mentions some great candidates in his article here: https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/10/1...-president-usmnt-world-cup-qualifying-failure

The president should be the public face that sets the expectations for all levels of US Soccer, while a GM or truly empowered technical director should exists as well to implement reforms.

15. jmplautz

jmplautz Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Madison
    When the US basketball team had a run of failure in the mid 2000's this what they did. They hired Jerry Colangelo to run the basketball operations. The talent pool is different, but the team was losing and looked disinterested. If US Basketball found a need with overwhelming talent, US Soccer most certainly should.

LamarHunting repped this.
  16. The411

The411 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    No idea why people are so enamoured with former players. The head of USSF needs to be a GM and entrepreneurial CEO type.

I'd rather have Mark Zuckerberg/Elon Musk running the USSF than most former players. Playing experience has nothing to do with one's ability to executive decisions and out of the box thinking.

CREN repped this.
  17. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    For me, I'd prefer someone that's both. A player - someone who knows the game - and someone with administrative/management experience. Chris Klein or Garth Lagerway both are fine with me.

Dan Hunt would work.

I mean, those are the types of people I would look at.

18. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You serious about Obama? LMAOL! He will make US Soccer about identity politics. He will claim the NT black players are discriminated against, white players have privilege and that there are no trans, gays and or women in the USMNT.

19. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Oliver Luck

juveeer repped this.
  20. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    He would actually be an excellent choice. He checks ever box except ex-player but his son played in germany before becoming a QB.

21. LamarHunting

LamarHunting Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He was a wild card pick which means a total moon shot of a pick. I really don't think Obama would do any of the things you're talking about, but your opinion is your opinion.

2in10 repped this.
  22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source/link?

All I will say is this. Clinton, Bush II, Obama...we make the World Cup. Trump, we don't.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

yankthisyank'swank, 15 to 32 and 2in10 repped this.
  23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man, fox news has a burner account on here?

My (non existent) vote would be for Garth Lagerway. His time at RSL was really really fun to watch. He had visions of the club being what it is finally realizing it needs to be. His legal background would be beneficial in the role, as well. He's done a pretty decent job in Seattle, as well.

superdave repped this.
  24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That dude from the office just got herpes from his wife. Married for 18 years.
    Clinton, Bush II, Obama... just crabs. Trump, herpes.
    Coincidence? I don't think so.

25. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    You guys are way out of control with the former Presidents crap. Look towards the pedigree of other soccer powerhouse nations. Look at the roadmap Germany used after they failed to qualify. That will get us closer to the answer than another smug politician.