Suggestions for Guests?

Discussion in 'World Football Daily' started by WoodyinCU, May 8, 2009.

1. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Georgie was allowed to come on the show, as a studio monkey she's not given the freedom that a commentator like Derek has.

Good call on Jason tho. Timing will be an issue of course. Roopy didn't sleep, so it was easy for him to call in. With the current staff I think prerecs are more possible than several years ago. We'll see.

2. 612steve

612steve New Member

May 4, 2009
    South Philly
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever said Ives Galarcep is spot on. I love his website and while I don't always agree with him I think he's very well informed.

The foreign managers on tour in the States this summer would be great in house or phone in guests. I'm sure their marketing departments would agree that they are here to raise the awareness of their team, and no better way to do it than on WSD.

3. Yellow Cash

Yellow Cash New Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Boston
    I listened to Thur's Pod Cast today...Steve Goff was on! Great interview with the guys. As always...he was informed and pretty honest with his opinion/reports.

Great show and I have to second 612steve in his post above mine. Ives Galarcep would be another great guest to have on the show. He and Goff run my two favorite MLS websites!

4. BuzzLives!

BuzzLives! New Member

Apr 24, 2004
    WDC
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggested Simon Davies of the MP Red podcast to Steven, no response. Even though Davies is a very measured insightful Liverpool fan. Also Pat Nevin?

5. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally,

I think the benefit of discussing Hillsboro any further is long past as it will certainly generate untold, unproductive behavior and posts.

Anyone interested at this point has ample opportunity and information to satiate their curiosity on their own.

6. FCPorto_Dragao

Jun 15, 2005
    E DUBs
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Chad Johnson of the Cincinnati Bengals...avid soccer fan, I've seen him sporting a Liverpool and Sporting Lisbon jersey in some photo shoots.

He may be the bridge between soccer and urban kids who would contemplate going into a mainstream North American sport

7. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance of them trying to get David Moyes on the program when Everton come over to play the MLS All Stars?

8. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the above have been sent in to the show. Keep posting as you think of more, and thanks!

9. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since they seem to have luck getting guests,

I would like to hear from highly regarded coaches (from Europe) that are not active right now for their perspective (eg. Bryan Robson, Mancini, Rikard, Ranieri, Hoddle). They might do it to get their name out there?

10. Cpt_K

Cpt_K Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would like to hear from Nigel Adkins the coach of Steven's other favorite team per his wiki bio Scunthorpe United. Nigel would be an interesting interview since he was a goalie at one point, became a physio, and was hired from the Physio Job at Scunthorpe to Manager. He took them up to The Fizzy Pop League and saw them get relegated in the next season and are playing in the Championship Game against Milwall.

I would like to hear an interview with Steve Banyard the english commentator who also has done voiceover work for the French League. I always liked his enthusiasm he had duirng his calls especially the way he would say PIRES.

I think in the an interview everyday with a beat writer for the local paper that covers each of the 20 Premiership Teams would be a pretty fun segment. Find out who the writer is for the local newspaper in Wigan that covers the team and see if an interview can be done. Maybe it will be a good way to get a contact and if the guy sucks the following season you can try another scribe for another paper that covers the team. It would involve some research but it would be cool way to ramp up coverage of the Premiership and all 20 teams.

I also think there has to be a way to work Howard into the show more often. Kenny is always bringing up him swapping texts or e mails with Howard and he needs to be brought around once in awhile for comedic affect. What I would give for a Howard call on the Tuesday after Memorial Day if Newcastle are relegated and a rant against Shearer and Ameobi would be classic if Hull manages to win or draw while Newcastle loses.

I hope that during the 2 weeks off the show is going to do that the producers put together a really well done Best of Show with maybe a Howard Day with some of Howard's best rants, a Nick and Steven Day or Two, and then some of the stuff Kenny and Steven has done since Kenny came in.

I am looking forward to the interview with John Skipper from ESPN that Steven has pimped a few times that will happen around the time of the Confederation Cup and I hope that Steven puts Skipper on the spot and asks the Georgie Question and ask the Grand Puba himself if Georgie can feature on the show from time to time. Georgie did really well when she used to feature on the show a lot more and it's a shame that her bosses put the kibosh of her doing an occasional interview again. I mean they need to ask her what she thinks of Roy Keane as manager of her loved Ipswich Town.

Steven has brought up the idea of interviewing Maldini and that would be a great interview because he is such an icon. I would also look to try and get famous sports stars over here in the States like Nash, Garnett, Kobe, among others and see if a call can be placed to the PR Departments of some of those clubs and see if the players would be interested in talking soccer for 10 minutes and use it as an angle that the boys just want to talk about soccer and not any NBA questions and such. Really push the Sirus/XM angle when contacting the PR Departments and how big the show is. I think it would be fun to try and track some of the guys down and would be a big hit if a call to Garnett works even if it means that Steven and Kenny have to stay around the studio or come in early before the show and tape the interview as not everything has to be live on the air.

Obviously I am a big fan of the show and the show has gotten better and better over the years especially when it comes to getting guests. I really think the addition of Kenny and the new producers who seem to have lit a fire under Steven's butt in terms of going out and getting good guests. Even in the dead of summer there are so many interesting people in the world of soccer that there is stuff to talk about.

11. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of guests, there is a rumor created by RAWK that certain guests including Mr. Poll refuse to return to the show. Can anyone provide any information in regards to this rumor?

12. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only Steve Nicol has said he wasn't coming back on due to Steven's comments unless he apologized. Coach Nicol was also ticked that his correspondence was being posted on RAWK and has now added a disclaimer in his sig: he wasn't pleased being used as a tool by his own supporters in a "holy crusade". Steve might come back because Steven did apologize, but everyone is letting things cool down right now and focusing on other things.

Graham Poll hasn't left the show, he's just busy. Remember, WSD Guests aren't paid, it's entirely voluntary.

13. 612steve

612steve New Member

May 4, 2009
    South Philly
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players who formally played in Europe who are currently playing in MLS could provide insight into the differences between the leagues from a players point of view. Also, any lower league players/managers/owners (Simon Blitz) who were interested in drumming up some support for their teams might welcome the opportunity to talk to an international audience. Mr. Blitz's frank discussion of his team's finances was fascinating.

14. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Red Bulls and MLS fan, I'd like to hear the boys interview Shep Messing. He is outspoken, doesn't mince words and always has interesting things to say about the American soccer scene.

15. DCunitedcrazy

DCunitedcrazy New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Winchester, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd Love to see Simon Blitz back on the show. They should try to get a head of the supporters groups on for every MLS club. Well except for NY cause who watches them :D

16. MathematicalOdegbami

May 30, 2008
    they already try their best. there is a guy Sayeed that used to do the show last year. lol @ Ghana football, it is shyte. are you a Ghanian? no offense charle...how we go do am now. Una know say nijah pass una that na why una dey use ojoro no yan nijah inside your yans...lol

17. Nick Katz

Nick Katz New Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You should talk to the Revolution's Taylor Twellman, who scored his 100th goal Sunday and is on pace to become MLS' all-time career scorer.

18. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of ideas...

1. Marcus Hahnemann...he was getting a lot of attention with Reading after his first magical PL season, but has disappeared a bit since then and is now in limbo and seems to be on the move from Reading. I've heard he's a good interview.
    2. Not nearly enough Ligue 1 news for my taste...is there anyone with OL or OM who could do a passable interview in English? :D

19. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i say he should try to get a interview with colin Cowherd or a Major Radio sports Jock and try to dicuss soccer with them.

20. brittkamp

brittkamp Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed...steven says that MLS does not keep his attention but I could not help feeling that if Twellman's story came from Portsmouth or even Sunderland then he and Kenny would talk about how "brave" and "wonderful" he was and what an accomplihment from him especially due to his serious medical problems.

Steve? Maybe the problem is you....not MLS?

Keep it up with Kartik and the rest of MLS based guests. The Igornant will only learn about MLS if it is talked about honestly...not the usual biased and factually incorrect dribble that the callers and sometimes the hosts spew out.

21. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Indeed. He was really mad at the MLS for not letting Twellman go to Eruope a couple years ago. I'm sure he would talk about him and have him on the show, had Twellman got his wish.

22. FCShambles

FCShambles New Member

May 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see this happening at all; Steven and Kenny are beyond trying to convert people to the game. If they were to talk to someone like Cowherd, then I think it would just be him talking about the 2 or 3 players he knows of and why he doesn't follow soccer. I think it would be a very stale and short interview.

23. 612steve

612steve New Member

May 4, 2009
    South Philly
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the listeners have a responsibility to look into it on their own. You cannot blindly follow what a talk show host says as fact. Watch a game or two and draw your own conclusions. WSD is entertainment, not fact.

24. 612steve

612steve New Member

May 4, 2009
    South Philly
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please get Ives from Soccer By Ives. Fantastic writer and very knowledgeable about the American game. I also really enjoyed the guy from Newcastle the other day. I'd love to hear a "local" voice for some of the bigger teams around the world discuss the clubs they cover.

25. GregX

GregX New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To tag onto what 612steve said, get a local voice for the promoted clubs. What are the Wolves fans thinking about the upcoming season? What about Birmingham City and the revival of the derby with Villa?

And how about some US Open Cup discussion? I'm not sure who a good guest would be, but I'd like to hear someone from Charleston Battery, the only USL club left I believe.