Substitutions

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by David, Sep 3, 2002.

1. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    I'm curious, did anyone notice more first half substitions in games they watched this past weekend? I didn't see much difference in the timing of initial substitutions in the first half (in the 20-26 minutes range), but I did see some re-rentry for the last 5 minutes on the first half that wouldn't have occurred last year. I haven't changed my initial impression that the rule overall helps teams with greater depth more than the teams with less depth.

2. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    I think the rule is a joke. It is like watching youth soccer. In and out, In and out. I think the teams with less depth actually get some help with it as they can pull their top players for a 5 minute blow and get them right back in. There is no strategy necessary with that crappy rule. It is too much for me.

3. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    I have noticed more first-half substitutions this year. In a couple of games, St. Louis U., for example, has taken out several starters and then put them back in. Last year, that wouldn't have been allowed.

It means a little more playing time for some players. But there still may be quite a few players who don't play. (with an enormous roster of over 30 players, they certainly don't all play every game)

NCAA rules allow numerous substitutions but they don't require them. There are still several players who play 90 minutes just about every game. And players who don't get much playing time at all. No goalkeeper at SLU besides Meghann Burke has gotten much playing time in the last four years. Burke will graduate, so there is next season.