Stupid talking ads

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Ringo, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a member ... what level, I dunno. But I pay my money. And on BigSoccer pages you have these STUPID ads for smiley faces that only Goodsport could find useful.
    Why do I hate them? Because they keep telling me 'helloooooo'
    Now, I know i'm not the only one who has occasionally checked BigSoccer at work. I don't need the damn website announcing to my coworkers what I'm doing. Even when i check at home I find the damn things annoying.

don't renew with these people. don't have ads with sounds.

rant over.
    thanks!
    :)

2. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
  3. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I was going to start the same thread.

This 'Smiley' 'Helloooo' ad is seriously annoying and needs to go.

4. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listen to music while on the computer and I kept wondering what that was till I realized it was an ad.

Its annoying

5. TrDm1n3r

TrDm1n3r Member+

Dec 8, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    Club América
    2 words: ad blocker

6. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The ad makes no noise if you don't rollover it or click on it.

7. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but wehn trying to click My Bigsoccer you roll over it

8. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    After I heard the first hello I made a mental note that I would never click on that ad.

9. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    while that is true,it's still not a voluntary action on our behalf 99% of the time to trigger the "HELLLLOOO" while trying to get to the links at the top of the page.

not really fair on your behalf to expect people to find that totally acceptable.or are now ment to skillfully navigate around these types of adverts in order to use the boards?

in all fairness once your pointer goes any were near it it goes off,happened to me minutes ago because i refreshed the page.

it's annoying and crap and you know it Huss.

10. Ali_reza

Ali_reza Member

Mar 1, 2006
    It has already surprised me at work 2/3 times. When i connect to BS, i don't have on mind that my mouse should avoid those annoying smilies.

11. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ad has been set off for me as well when refreshing the page. Probably when the page was redrawing, the ad was temporarily in a different location where my cursor was, so I get "Helloooo!"

That's not any positive action I took to instigate that.

12. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    yup not to mention it's a fairly natural reflex to be moveing the mouse/pointer downward after clicking refresh.
    if your unlucky enough to stop in the banner ad section as the smilie ad loads up you'll trigger off the sound,again not instigating the situation on purpose.

13. MalboroDude

MalboroDude Member+

May 31, 2006
    LookingToProperlyIntroduceMyselfToAnIcelandicGirl
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Huss, that is not entirely true.

The sounds are still there even when I am nowhere near the ad.
    Just a minute ago I got that banner ad at the very bottom of the page. The sound did go off when my cursor was on top of it. I refreshed the page and scrolled up to about 3/5 of the long scrollable page and even at the very top of the page, and for some reason the "hello" is still there when I rollover the "tabs" on firefox, or the address bar! When I was at around 3/5 of half of the page, the sound appeared every time was my cursor enter a small area of around 100 sq/pixels on the left side. I am using the 365 skin, so this 100 sq/pixel area was basically nowhere, so basically when the cursor was on top of the blue background, which means that there is absolutely no graphic elemtents or text of any kind.

This could be just with firefox, but I am not sure.

And so like I said this happened just 1 min ago, and several times before, even at work with a different machine. I have been extra careful as my boss has already asked about the sound, and so I make sure I don't rollover the ad, and even when the ad is not visible in on the screen, I still get the sound when I am nowhere near the ad.

It's almost as if there are some transparent areas randomly placed in the long long scrollable main forum page, that trigger the sound.

Hope something can be done about it.

14. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If the ad is makign sound with user activation then it fully violates our oft-stated policy and will be reported to our adserver.

15. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Thanks for taking action, Huss.

That said, perhaps you should consider a new policy - no sound at all! It's intrusive, it's bothersome, and it's against the wishes of most of your users.

16. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that would be great

17. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, I love my AD-FREE BS. :D Nothing like that one nifty add on that I can't mention. lol

18. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If you don't like ads, we simply ask you to support BigSoccer another way: by purchasing a site subscription. A subscription is an inexpensive way to support the site that eliminates the advertisements. This is the link: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/payments.php

As many of you know, without our subscribers, BigSoccer would not have survived the great internet bubble bursting.

We all win for just $0.095863013698630136986301369863014 cents per day.

19. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Whats that in canadian dollars?

20. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the attention huss.

the problem with the rolloever, as stated, is that you can rollover it without intending to as you just go about using the site.

I thought I was supposed to be ad-free anyway ... I mean, I give you money. maybe I need to pay more attention next time I re-up to see that I get the right level. ;)

anyway, as I said -- thanks for the attention.

21. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    There are two levels of supporters. Platinum is the ad-free one. :)

22. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Today it's like $0.0000001. USD stinks!

23. L.G.S

L.G.S New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    England
    Are you ever going to remove the advert? It's getting more annoying by the day.

24. MalboroDude

MalboroDude Member+

May 31, 2006
    LookingToProperlyIntroduceMyselfToAnIcelandicGirl
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So now we use new flash technology to make even more annoying ads?

Was gonna make a new thread, but since this is still related to annoying ads…oh well…

what's up with this…

[​IMG]

Seriously it's ********ing annoying. It's one thing to have a bunch of crap flying around a flash ad, but it's another to use flash to slap transparent flash movies in the middle of the page…with NO user activation whatsoever.

is this also against the rules on ads? you know… the surprise transparent flash movie that will require a user to click on it to get rid of it and in case you barely miss the "tiny" 32px by 10px area to "close" the ad, you get redirected to some site…

Huss. Your thoughts on this?

25. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Yippee - the annoying 'hellooo' ads are back. Good god they are annoying.