Stupid advertisements?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by ChelseaForTheCup(s), Oct 8, 2008.

1. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    These Circuit City expanding ads are extremely annoying. Circuit City have succeeded in convincing me to think twice about buying anything from them.

2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Whoa dude. Settle down, we don't want to be too extreme. :p

3. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I've just had an ad that makes noises when you roll over it. It's from a sweet company and it makes "Do", "ray", "mi" etc. noises. Very annoying.

4. Negro Y Rojo

Negro Y Rojo Member

Apr 29, 2008

Wtf is this Jade nonsense?

5. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I just got hit with the gigantic Wii controller flying around all over my screen.

So no, they're still around.

6. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    they sure are

7. ChelseaForTheCup(s)

ChelseaForTheCup(s) New Member

May 27, 2008
    These ads are far from gone. They still haunt me.

8. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    They mixed it up with Telemundo and FSC ads to make us forget, but every now and then I still get that freakin' Circuit City bag.

9. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    re-reported

10. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Sorry Huss, I'm confused. Is bigsoccer the customer or the vendor?

If I fail to do as a customer requests, I lose my contract. I don't understand how your ad people seem to be in the driver's seat here and you are somewhat helpless. Am I missing something?

I think this is what Ismitje was gently trying to get at on the first page of this thread, but wasn't really answered. I too have referred people recently who were turned off by these ads so they never got a chance see what was so great about bigsoccer.

If the answer is that all companies that handle ads for forums are like this, pushing well beyond what types of ads were agreed to, then so be it. But I just don't understand how this is acceptable. My ass woulda been fired. :D

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    customer

A service contract. I'm guessing there is a service contract with a termination fee

Agreed about Ismijte's request. It would be nice to know how this works so we don't go overboard.

12. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León
    sometimes i feel like I'm walking in the streets of Hong Kong..

[​IMG]

has anyone tried this?

13. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    Post deleted in 5,4,3,....

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hear Circuit City is going bankrupt.

Must be all those stupid ads. :D

15. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It got worse...the "SafeCount.net" ad that says take a survey now has a ballon that follows you all the way to the bottom of the page covering up every post as it goes down unless you close it...

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    It now also has an error mssg popping up with every page change.

17. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To whom it may concern, this is essentially on a malware scale now. I'm being directed to sites that I don't intend on visiting via invisible masks and links which is a security concern. I'm pretty sure this is probably against some PCI compliance requirements for having a merchant enabled site. This has continued for so long now that one must begin to question whether or not the site is still secure.

Contract or not with the ad-farm, fact that this is 3 weeks running with new versions popping up now daily is not an ecouraging tribute to who or what entity is truely controlling the site. If this is the way it's going to be then just say so, otherwise I'm pretty sure you should be able to remove the HTML content link in your pages with a "Your Non-Malware Ad Here" banner that will quickly get filled with the next agreement on deck. They are obviously not responding to your request on the issue in a timely manner, thus there is easily a condition that exists to terminate your agreement with them without retribution as it is of gross negligence with them as content experts, and a severe detriment to the operation and funcitionality of your site.

I'm pretty sure there is an army of users who have not spoken on the matter to refrain from piling on but maybe they need to speak. I know this is the fourth post I've crafted on this and I'm finally going to execute on my frustrations.

18. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you. I recently decided that I got enough enjoyment here that I would pony up for the Gold membership. I knew that I would still see ads but they didn't bother me until these ads started.

Now I'm considering abandoning BS altogether as soon as the MSL playoffs end.

19. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Opera on Mac OS X is awesome. haven't had any of the ads.

20. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Amen +1

21. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Here at the Senior Center it's just a distraction and helps pass the time! :p

Play on.......

22. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just realized in six years on Big Soccer, I site I very much enjoy, I haven't ponied up a cent to support it. I deserve these stupid ads.

Thanks for running a great site!

23. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The circuit city ads were pulled, again, on tuesday. They must've missed some.

thanks

24. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just Circuit City though, there were one or two other ads that were moving around on the screen. I can't remember who they were but I'll pay attention next time.

25. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]
    They're baaaaaaack!