Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Stuff I'm Not Writing About

By Bill Archer on Jun 27, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    During the last World Cup I wrote about how Mexico fans need to grow the hell up and drop the "p**o" bit before FIFA grows a pair and forces them to. A day or so later, FIFA gutlessly decided to go along with the "quaint, indeed almost charming, local tradition" theory of homophobic insults, thus avoiding having to do something which would divert media attention away from the glorious pageantry of sportsmanship, love and fair play which is the quadrennial FIFA Cash-a-Palooza.

What did happen however was that a whole bunch of wretchedly stupid fans of said team filled the response thread with a) laughable explanations of why using a gay slur is perfectly acceptable and b) descriptions of anatomically impossible acts which I should go ahead and perform on myself.

What I also got was a bunch of private messages from other Mexico fans saying "those guys don't speak for all of us", to which my reaction was "yes they do if they're the only ones saying anything."

So here we are two years later and FIFA has finally decided to get serious about it - they have now fined the FMF an impressive 8 times for this behavior - and, this having had no discernible effect, they have now installed cameras aimed at Mexico supporters sections in order to monitor fan behavior, as they now routinely do when dealing with lowlife fan groups known for violent and/or racist behavior.

A truly proud day for Mexican soccer.

After the first ConFedCup match last week, when the "p**o" chant came across loud and clear despite the fines and the pleading of the FMF and the players themselves, the Chairman of FIFA's Disciplinary Committee Anin Yeboah, (a Ghanaian Supreme Court Justice if anyone cares) instituted a three step program which, after an initial warning, instructs the referee to stop the game and issue a final warning to the fans.

If it happens again the referee is instructed to declare the match suspended.

The fans apparently got the message against New Zealand that FIFA is done screwing around with this garbage - the "p**o" chant was blessedly unheard.

This doesn't mean, of course, that Mexico fans have decided to grow up, join the 21st Century and stop using vile homophobic insults, only that they've decided not to intentionally throw away a shot at winning the Cup for the sake of proving whatever point they think they've been making.

Nonetheless, I'm not going to be writing about this because I just don't feel like wading through another stack of ridiculous justifications like "it isn't an insult", "it doesn't mean gay prostitute" and, my favorite "it's really a friendly term which we sometimes call each other, like 'dude' " since a) yes it is, b) yes it does, and c) so thousands of fans in the Azteca earlier this month were calling Brad Guzan "dude"?

Next someone will tell me that throwing bananas at black players is an expression of concern for whether they're getting enough potassium in their diets.

It's had a good run. Now it's time to stop. But you won't hear that from me.

And while I'm not on the subject, I also won't be writing about the Confederations Cup.

Partly because no one cares including, apparently, Germany, which sent a side no one could confuse with the actual German National Team.

Mostly though, because this unloved tournament is going away after this year. Giananni Infantino claims they'll examine their options when the time comes but, in reality, everybody knows the score.

For one thing, it's only possible because it's held after the European leagues close for the summer, but in four years, with Qatar as the host, a June tournament is out of the question for the same reason they moved the main event to December in the first place.

And a December Confederations Cup would require lengthy player releases, which is a non-starter.

The guessing is that if they decide Qatar needs some kind of dry run event they'll have them host the FIFA Club World Cup.

Four years after that, in World Cup Norte Americano '26, there won't be any new venues that FIFA will need to shake down. As Sunil Gulati famously said back when South Africa 2010 looked like it was in trouble, the US can host a World Cup with six weeks notice.

We won't be opening any new stadiums and nobody needs to check and see whether AT&T stadium in Dallas has decent media and telecom facilities or whether there are enough hotel rooms and restaurants near Soldier Field or if MetLife Stadium has sufficient road, rail and air access. Waste of time.

In any case, the real problem, as illustrated this year in Russia, is that there are too many games that the locals don't want to watch and fans won't pay thousands and thousands of dollars to travel to.

So since the ConFedCup has one foot in the grave anyway, I'm not wasting my time writing about it.

Finally, in the "I Have Not the Strength Dept.", I give you Qatar, where the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy, which is responsible for delivering the stadia and infrastructure for the World Cup, has delivered a most curious stadium feature:

A "Sensory Room".

Because the "general match day atmosphere" is "overwhelming" to some fans, a room in the brand new Khalifa International stadium has been fitted with "noise cancellation materials, soft furnishings, mood lighting, relaxing music and brightly-colored toys and equipment". These features are designed to manage anxiety and allow fans to watch the match from a "more welcoming and sedate" vantage point.

That is to say, on TV.

Since I have no desire to appear insensitive to people with cognitive disabilities who find attending soccer games to be overwhelming, I won't be pointing out that I can think of at least one other place where a fan could watch a match on TV in comfortable, "non-threatening and sedate" environs:

At home.

Why would someone pay to fly to Qatar, book an expensive hotel room and shell out for a pricey World Cup ticket package so that they can watch the games on TV?

So because I clearly don't understand the whole thing, I'm just not saying a word about it.

phat, blissett, dredgfan and 1 other person repped this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Bill Archer, Jun 27, 2017.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

If I get these people to agree on something, I should just about be ready to get the Israelis and Palestinians together.

2. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
      Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
      Club:
      Club América
      Nat'l Team:
      Mexico

I don't believe he is expected to enumerate every instance of bigotry. However, Bill's own argument is that silence to one's group's bigotry is tacit approval. That means it at least bears mentioning how his own group is not infallible. Otherwise, it simply comes off as decrying the issue as a Mexican problem. Not only would that be a inaccurate characterization, but it also is an ineffective way of bringing about change as it converts the issue to us vs. them rather than sensitivity vs. insensitivity. You may argue that the latter is obvious and should transcend tribalism, but that is mostly naive given the entirety of human history.

Also, I am genuinely curious why you consider culero worse than p*to. The entire argument against p*to is that it is hurtful to those beyond the intended target, ie, the players on the field. Culero is merely a vulgar way to directly insult the intended target. Unless you are saying the term offends you as a member of that group.

sidspaceman and Sanchito repped this.
    3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

If it isn't, I'll take your word for it. Spanish is my fourth language. It's more a feeling based on the etymology as I understand it, not necessarily on the current or colloquial usage. I'll update my understanding. Thanks.

4. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
      Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
      Club:
      Club América
      Nat'l Team:
      Mexico

I've only known it to mean asshole, but I'll let others with better proficiency than me correct if that's wrong.

5. erdons

erdons Member

May 1, 2005
      Los Angeles, CA

P*to = a man who sleeps with a bunch of women...

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
    6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
      United States
      Dec 28, 2006
      Cowlumbus, OH
      Club:
      Borussia Mönchengladbach
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Isn't that Charlie Sheen??

7. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
      Vienna, VA

I get it now. We shouldn't blame Mexican fans as a whole for fan behavior that Mexican players themselves have been trying to stamp out, but Bill can't say anything about it because Columbus fans have said mean things in the past and Andy can't say anything about it because reasons.

Take the L and move on.

TOAzer, Justin Z and AndyMead repped this.
    8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
      Club:
      Portland Timbers
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

LOL, good one erdons. Good one...:rolleyes:

9. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
      May 29, 2016
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

"Sanchito the Sad thinks dense thoughts...."..... hmmmm, give you a mirror, and a slot on late Saturday night TV, and you'll be a Senator yet, Sanchito..

adi21 repped this.
    10. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
      Vienna, VA

"I don't understand why these people think I'm throwing everything but the kitchen sink into an effort to deflect attention from the p--o chant when all I'm doing is throwing everything but the kitchen sink into an effort to deflect attention from the p--o chant! These people must be stupid!"

TOAzer repped this.
    11. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
      Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
      Toronto Canada
      Club:
      Sporting Braga
      Nat'l Team:
      Portugal

The feminization of sport continues. The environment is too hostile oh me, oh my. They said a bad word! Oh no cancel the game. What pansys.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

You say "feminization" like you mean for it to be an insult. The way some guys use "chick soccer" to denigrate women.

Hugo Sanchez repped this.
    13. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
      Vienna, VA

Who's hiring the moderators around here?

Go tell Abby Wambach you think the game is getting too feminine. Tell me what she says.

14. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
      United States
      Mar 17, 2001
      Maryland
      Club:
      New York Red Bulls
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Can he tell you with a broken jaw ?

15. Regi0

Regi0 Member

Aug 11, 2011
      Club:
      CF Rayados de Monterrey

I can't speak for the entire spanish speaking world but in mexico ******** does not mean ************!

The word we use for that is j**o. If fan were shouting the j-word, I would be extremely alarmed. Saying that fans are shouting ************ is such a horrible anglo biased translation. I think what makes it worse is that the OP clearly could care less about the definition but just sees it as an opportunity to take a cheap shot at Mexicans. In my 8 years on this forum I have never heard a single positive comment about Mexico from the OP. Its rather sad how someone can be filled with such hatred for the sake a game.

FYI, Mexico legalized the recognition of gay marriage on a national level well before the US.

I'm not going to lie, I find your articles informative but then you pull such biased dung like this. Rather than immediately accusing, why don't you open up a civil discussion and ASK US about our opinion on the matter.

erdons and It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
    16. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
      Brooklyn, NY
      Club:
      Manchester United FC

There was a post made in soccer America about an opponent on a mls team passing a comment to another player who he was playing against who felt the need to tell the world he was gay. So what does the gay player do he tells the press about it. How does doing that get the opponents respect? I posted to wait to he got that player alone and just give him a beating. Then the next time they play each other I doubt if that player would say anything to him about being gay. Then I heard people respond on beating people up is a bad way to handle it. No it is better to tell the press and let everyone know you can't handle your own problems. Well maybe their right that might be why my kids never ask me for my advice instead they ask my wife :) they still like to call me when something happens that's good in their life and for money when they get divorced.

Hugo Sanchez repped this.
    17. winster

winster Member

Jul 7, 2008
      Club:
      Besiktas JK
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

First people are talking about "otherization" on BigSoccer. f...m...l

Second, if they really wanted, FIFA could hold a summer Confed Cup in Qatar 6 months before the World Cup. They would just have to kick the games off at 10:00PM when the temperatures will be 80-95F. They might still need a water break, but no one will die. As an added positive, those kick off times would be prime time in Europe and early afternoon in most of the Americas, so television ratings would relatively good.

18. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
      Brooklyn, NY
      Club:
      Manchester United FC

When I coached youth teams I had teams made up of the United Nations you name it I had it. I had kids from Kuwait, Afganistant, turkey, Nigerian, Israeli kids, Italians, Brazilians, Irish and polish. I took a while but they all got a long. Were any gay have no clue, but if they were and they could play I would take them because I like the team to win. I found all kids are born cool people. They can get brain washed by their parents or their friends. they have to be taught to hate by their authority figure. This is what I found out in my personal life. It's easy to hate when you are unloved.

Martininho and AndyMead repped this.
    19. Puro_Sinaloa

Puro_Sinaloa Member+

Dec 3, 2005

FIFA is worried about a chant, but turns a blind eye towards Russia's actual anti-gay laws and Qatar's sharia law lol

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

That's definitely a huge issue. But it's a poor excuse to use if you're insinuating that nothing should be done about the chant.

21. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
      Vienna, VA

I don't understand why anyone would complain about a chant when the sun is going to go supernova and swallow the Earth in a couple billion years.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

Just a great case study when people agree with the message but absolutely hate the messenger.

23. calvegas04

calvegas04 New Member

Jun 18, 2016
      Vegas
      Club:
      Los Angeles Galaxy
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Great article, and I agree mexico fans are terrible and need to learn to respect the sport

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

I think Mexican fans "respect the sport" just as much as any other demographic grouping.

We still have an NFL team named "Redskins" in the United States. As pointed out earlier, there are some U.S. supporters groups that still cling to YSA - and I've heard some use P*to.

The problem isn't with Mexico fans, or NFL fans. It's with the attitudes that allow chants like p*to or YSA to continue. Education and peer pressure are our chief tools in this struggle.

AEAAFC96 repped this.
    25. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
      Mexico
      May 4, 2009
      Chitown

I'm in favor of the chant, but not all Mexicans are, the culture is changing. Attitudes vary from region to region, person to person.

But you non-Mexican caucasians really should butt out, this is simply a discussion you won't understand unless you spend years immersed in the culture. Having a few Mexican friends and coworkers does not count.

I speak only for myself when I say that you lot make me cringe, and interacting with yall is burdensome, but it must be done to clear misconceptions. It'd be a good idea to just stay in your lane. Your descendants will understand us better since our ethnicity will only get more ubiquitous. But for now, stick to your non-Mexican issues.

And posters here are justified in calling out Bill Archer. One of the 1st threads I read here was the 2002 CCC thread where Morelia pounded the "crew", and Bill had some suspect comments. I'm not saying he's racist now 15 years later, he did call out that slime Grant Wahl for his 'cism.

Hopefully since then, Bill has had numerous friendships with Mexicans and perhaps his daughters have dated some, which always helps.