Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Stuff I'm Not Writing About

By Bill Archer on Jun 27, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    During the last World Cup I wrote about how Mexico fans need to grow the hell up and drop the "p**o" bit before FIFA grows a pair and forces them to. A day or so later, FIFA gutlessly decided to go along with the "quaint, indeed almost charming, local tradition" theory of homophobic insults, thus avoiding having to do something which would divert media attention away from the glorious pageantry of sportsmanship, love and fair play which is the quadrennial FIFA Cash-a-Palooza.

What did happen however was that a whole bunch of wretchedly stupid fans of said team filled the response thread with a) laughable explanations of why using a gay slur is perfectly acceptable and b) descriptions of anatomically impossible acts which I should go ahead and perform on myself.

What I also got was a bunch of private messages from other Mexico fans saying "those guys don't speak for all of us", to which my reaction was "yes they do if they're the only ones saying anything."

So here we are two years later and FIFA has finally decided to get serious about it - they have now fined the FMF an impressive 8 times for this behavior - and, this having had no discernible effect, they have now installed cameras aimed at Mexico supporters sections in order to monitor fan behavior, as they now routinely do when dealing with lowlife fan groups known for violent and/or racist behavior.

A truly proud day for Mexican soccer.

After the first ConFedCup match last week, when the "p**o" chant came across loud and clear despite the fines and the pleading of the FMF and the players themselves, the Chairman of FIFA's Disciplinary Committee Anin Yeboah, (a Ghanaian Supreme Court Justice if anyone cares) instituted a three step program which, after an initial warning, instructs the referee to stop the game and issue a final warning to the fans.

If it happens again the referee is instructed to declare the match suspended.

The fans apparently got the message against New Zealand that FIFA is done screwing around with this garbage - the "p**o" chant was blessedly unheard.

This doesn't mean, of course, that Mexico fans have decided to grow up, join the 21st Century and stop using vile homophobic insults, only that they've decided not to intentionally throw away a shot at winning the Cup for the sake of proving whatever point they think they've been making.

Nonetheless, I'm not going to be writing about this because I just don't feel like wading through another stack of ridiculous justifications like "it isn't an insult", "it doesn't mean gay prostitute" and, my favorite "it's really a friendly term which we sometimes call each other, like 'dude' " since a) yes it is, b) yes it does, and c) so thousands of fans in the Azteca earlier this month were calling Brad Guzan "dude"?

Next someone will tell me that throwing bananas at black players is an expression of concern for whether they're getting enough potassium in their diets.

It's had a good run. Now it's time to stop. But you won't hear that from me.

And while I'm not on the subject, I also won't be writing about the Confederations Cup.

Partly because no one cares including, apparently, Germany, which sent a side no one could confuse with the actual German National Team.

Mostly though, because this unloved tournament is going away after this year. Giananni Infantino claims they'll examine their options when the time comes but, in reality, everybody knows the score.

For one thing, it's only possible because it's held after the European leagues close for the summer, but in four years, with Qatar as the host, a June tournament is out of the question for the same reason they moved the main event to December in the first place.

And a December Confederations Cup would require lengthy player releases, which is a non-starter.

The guessing is that if they decide Qatar needs some kind of dry run event they'll have them host the FIFA Club World Cup.

Four years after that, in World Cup Norte Americano '26, there won't be any new venues that FIFA will need to shake down. As Sunil Gulati famously said back when South Africa 2010 looked like it was in trouble, the US can host a World Cup with six weeks notice.

We won't be opening any new stadiums and nobody needs to check and see whether AT&T stadium in Dallas has decent media and telecom facilities or whether there are enough hotel rooms and restaurants near Soldier Field or if MetLife Stadium has sufficient road, rail and air access. Waste of time.

In any case, the real problem, as illustrated this year in Russia, is that there are too many games that the locals don't want to watch and fans won't pay thousands and thousands of dollars to travel to.

So since the ConFedCup has one foot in the grave anyway, I'm not wasting my time writing about it.

Finally, in the "I Have Not the Strength Dept.", I give you Qatar, where the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy, which is responsible for delivering the stadia and infrastructure for the World Cup, has delivered a most curious stadium feature:

A "Sensory Room".

Because the "general match day atmosphere" is "overwhelming" to some fans, a room in the brand new Khalifa International stadium has been fitted with "noise cancellation materials, soft furnishings, mood lighting, relaxing music and brightly-colored toys and equipment". These features are designed to manage anxiety and allow fans to watch the match from a "more welcoming and sedate" vantage point.

That is to say, on TV.

Since I have no desire to appear insensitive to people with cognitive disabilities who find attending soccer games to be overwhelming, I won't be pointing out that I can think of at least one other place where a fan could watch a match on TV in comfortable, "non-threatening and sedate" environs:

At home.

Why would someone pay to fly to Qatar, book an expensive hotel room and shell out for a pricey World Cup ticket package so that they can watch the games on TV?

So because I clearly don't understand the whole thing, I'm just not saying a word about it.

phat, blissett, dredgfan and 1 other person repped this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Bill Archer, Jun 27, 2017.

1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
      Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
      AMÉRICA DE CALI
      Club:
      America de Cali
      Nat'l Team:
      Colombia

Please show me where I have defended the chant. I've been around as long as you and I have a different view on US/MLS fans when it comes their racism. For the most part they deny and pretend that it never happened.

erdons, Adrian559 and Hugo Sanchez repped this.
    2. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
      Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
      AMÉRICA DE CALI
      Club:
      America de Cali
      Nat'l Team:
      Colombia

Hey another question do you think racist jokes about Mexicans in the Crew forum pisses off Bill?

3. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
      an island in my mind

Jesus fcuk guy.

Adrian559, Hugo Sanchez and sidspaceman repped this.
    4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

Why are you so angry? Apparently we're in complete agreement.

Mexico fans should stop with the p*to chant.

5. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
      Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
      Club:
      Club América
      Nat'l Team:
      Mexico

Andy, stop playing dumb. If the blog had been an objective, nuanced look at how FIFA can distance itself from a mentality pervasive throughout the globe (using the chant to highlight an example), then that would be entirely different.

The "anger" is because it is nothing like that. The blog (and posting history) is sanctimonious grandstanding intended to feel superior over an Other. The selective enforcement of moral outrage and treatment of 10s of millions of fans as single monolith reveal his true intentions (as if his past racist postings weren't already a clue, which apparently bigsoccer.com is cool with).

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

Stop being obtuse.

Ignore the blog. Are you able - without other comment or qualification - able to state that Mexico fans should stop chanting "p*to"?

Yes or no? Without pointing out that other fans do it, or other instances aren't brought up in this blog?

That's all I'm asking? I have no problem saying that "YSA" or throwing beans at a player is wrong and should be sanctioned if it continues - regardless of the activities or commentaries on other unrelated acts.

Can you - or the other posters that obviously have a grudge against Bill - do the same?

Sometimes it's not about Bill.

7. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
      Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
      Club:
      Club América
      Nat'l Team:
      Mexico

Ignore the blog? These are comments posted to the damn blog. The entire point is to comment on the blog.

Yes, I think the chant should stop. I've argued that many times. But don't act like that's some gotcha question stripped away of all context here. From what I've seen, nobody here is defending the chant. The criticism is of the particular blog post, which is why it is in the comments section of said blog.

Eastern Bear and sidspaceman repped this.
    8. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
      Brooklyn, NY
      Club:
      Manchester United FC

A guy who has never played at a high level thinks he is getting into the opponents head by doing that. The answer for the player is do something in the game that helps that guys team lose the game. That is sweet revenge.

adi21 and AEAAFC96 repped this.
    9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

So it's just a pretext to mob up on Bill Archer based on his past postings? How very mature of you. You actually agree 100% with the point he made in the blog.

Justin Z, adi21 and Eastern Bear repped this.
    10. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
      May 29, 2016
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

The beauty of Colima's and Sanchito's responses is that they make such rich and poetic use of the people's language in what would otherwise just be a couple of boring posts on the line of : "Hey, Bill, let me prove your point for you".

Justin Z, Beau Dure, adi21 and 2 others repped this.
    11. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
      an island in my mind

I can't believe how dense some of you are...it's quite sad actually.

sidspaceman repped this.
    12. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
      Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
      Club:
      Club América
      Nat'l Team:
      Mexico

Do you have any other fallback besides the illusory argument of "maturity" which is nothing more than a coded hierarchical message of "I'm better than you?"

There is nothing child-like or underdeveloped about taking exception to hypocritical grandstanding.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

So, do you agree that Mexico fans should stop doing the "p*to" chant?

It's a very simple yes/no question that nobody seems to want to answer with qualifying it or going off on some tangent about other fans.

Do you agree? Yes or No?

14. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
      Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
      Club:
      Club América
      Nat'l Team:
      Mexico

The question was asked and answered already. Move along, counselor.

AEAAFC96 and sidspaceman repped this.
    15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

I see replies where links and quotes to other threads about many people finding things offensive. I don't see a simple yes/no answer from anyone.

Do you think Mexico fans should stop chanting p*to?
      Yes or No?

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
      United States
      Dec 28, 2006
      Cowlumbus, OH
      Club:
      Borussia Mönchengladbach
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

This is beginning to remind me of Monty Python's Argument Clinic....

AEAAFC96 repped this.
    17. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
      Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
      Club:
      Club América
      Nat'l Team:
      Mexico

Read again, please:
      Now please answer my question: Do you find it to be hypocritical for someone to vociferously point out the moral failings of one group while completely ignoring the same failings in his own group/person?

AEAAFC96, Sanchito and sidspaceman repped this.
    18. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
      Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
      AMÉRICA DE CALI
      Club:
      America de Cali
      Nat'l Team:
      Colombia

Do you agree that nobody cares about the confed cup because Germany didn't bring their A team?

AEAAFC96 and SixKick repped this.
    19. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
      an island in my mind

BUT, Do you think Mexico fans should stop chanting p*to?
      Yes or No?

JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION!

AEAAFC96, sidspaceman and SixKick repped this.
    20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

Approving of the same behavior by another fangroup would be hypocritical.

Not mentioning it isn't the same as approving. Nobody would ever publish anything if they had to enumerate all equivalent cases when issuing criticism.

I'm unaware of Bill's current take on YSA. That would be interesting to know. More to the point is that YSA has mostly disappeared over the last decade, much as the c*lero chant (which I find worse than p*to) when players are on the ground has also faded away.

It would help the point of some of the Mexico supporters here if they didn't come in on the attack if they agree with the message. It's possible to come in and say "We agree 100%. P*to needs to be stopped. As we are in agreement, do you also agree that the continued use, but some supporters groups of YSA should also be stopped?"

The bit about throwing beans is a distraction to the debate, and I don't think anyone with half a brain or conscious approves, thinks it is a regular planned supporter group sanctioned thing, or should be tolerated.

If you guys hate Bill's guts, that's fine. He sure pisses me off plenty, and a deep look in the archives of BigSoccer will reveal some back and forths between myself and Futsal Fred that make the above posts seem tame. But I would suggest it's not in the best interest to use his war on p*to as the way to assail him.

If you've got current posts of him approving of YSA, then - yeah - that's pretty hypocritical. It doesn't make him wrong on the P*to point, but it doesn't make him a good messenger. If you're dredging up 5/10/15 year old posts, well - we've all matured over the years. I freely admit that I have, in the moment, joined in p*uto and even YSA and c*lero chants. But I grew up. I gained sensitivity, and I try to be a better example now.

If your whole angle is that he's only picking on you and ignoring other cases if racism, homophobery, and bigotry in soccer fandom, well tough titties. Start your own blog. The real problem with p*to is that there really isn't anything comparable. The English have mostly stopped singing about opposing players being pedophiles, and MLS/USSF groups have mostly stopped with YSA, but the fans of el Tri and LigaMX teams can still be reliably counted on P*to a good 90%+ of the time on goal kicks.

Beau Dure repped this.
    21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

I neither agree nor disagree - because I haven't been watching/reading about the tournament.

I saw most of two Mexico group games and none of the rest of the tournament. I'm hoping to sneak out of work tomorrow afternoon to catch Germany/Mexico.

I haven't looked at any of the rosters - other than the players on the field in the two games I've seen. If Germany has brought a B Squad, I hope to find out tomorrow.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

So much anger. He pointed out where he stated his answer clearly. Then again, you haven't.

23. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
      Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
      AMÉRICA DE CALI
      Club:
      America de Cali
      Nat'l Team:
      Colombia

If nobody cares then why did u watch 2 games and know about tomorrow's game?

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
    24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

I don't know about anyone else. I only know about me. I've had a long history of caring about el Tri. And if you want to somehow conflate "nobody" with "zero", well you're just being purposely argumentative.

By the way, do you agree that the P*to chant should be stopped? Y/N?

25. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
      Washington, NC
      Club:
      Columbus Crew
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

YSA is stupid, unoriginal and offensive.

Beau Dure and AndyMead repped this.