Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Stuff I'm Not Writing About

By Bill Archer on Jun 27, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    During the last World Cup I wrote about how Mexico fans need to grow the hell up and drop the "p**o" bit before FIFA grows a pair and forces them to. A day or so later, FIFA gutlessly decided to go along with the "quaint, indeed almost charming, local tradition" theory of homophobic insults, thus avoiding having to do something which would divert media attention away from the glorious pageantry of sportsmanship, love and fair play which is the quadrennial FIFA Cash-a-Palooza.

What did happen however was that a whole bunch of wretchedly stupid fans of said team filled the response thread with a) laughable explanations of why using a gay slur is perfectly acceptable and b) descriptions of anatomically impossible acts which I should go ahead and perform on myself.

What I also got was a bunch of private messages from other Mexico fans saying "those guys don't speak for all of us", to which my reaction was "yes they do if they're the only ones saying anything."

So here we are two years later and FIFA has finally decided to get serious about it - they have now fined the FMF an impressive 8 times for this behavior - and, this having had no discernible effect, they have now installed cameras aimed at Mexico supporters sections in order to monitor fan behavior, as they now routinely do when dealing with lowlife fan groups known for violent and/or racist behavior.

A truly proud day for Mexican soccer.

After the first ConFedCup match last week, when the "p**o" chant came across loud and clear despite the fines and the pleading of the FMF and the players themselves, the Chairman of FIFA's Disciplinary Committee Anin Yeboah, (a Ghanaian Supreme Court Justice if anyone cares) instituted a three step program which, after an initial warning, instructs the referee to stop the game and issue a final warning to the fans.

If it happens again the referee is instructed to declare the match suspended.

The fans apparently got the message against New Zealand that FIFA is done screwing around with this garbage - the "p**o" chant was blessedly unheard.

This doesn't mean, of course, that Mexico fans have decided to grow up, join the 21st Century and stop using vile homophobic insults, only that they've decided not to intentionally throw away a shot at winning the Cup for the sake of proving whatever point they think they've been making.

Nonetheless, I'm not going to be writing about this because I just don't feel like wading through another stack of ridiculous justifications like "it isn't an insult", "it doesn't mean gay prostitute" and, my favorite "it's really a friendly term which we sometimes call each other, like 'dude' " since a) yes it is, b) yes it does, and c) so thousands of fans in the Azteca earlier this month were calling Brad Guzan "dude"?

Next someone will tell me that throwing bananas at black players is an expression of concern for whether they're getting enough potassium in their diets.

It's had a good run. Now it's time to stop. But you won't hear that from me.

And while I'm not on the subject, I also won't be writing about the Confederations Cup.

Partly because no one cares including, apparently, Germany, which sent a side no one could confuse with the actual German National Team.

Mostly though, because this unloved tournament is going away after this year. Giananni Infantino claims they'll examine their options when the time comes but, in reality, everybody knows the score.

For one thing, it's only possible because it's held after the European leagues close for the summer, but in four years, with Qatar as the host, a June tournament is out of the question for the same reason they moved the main event to December in the first place.

And a December Confederations Cup would require lengthy player releases, which is a non-starter.

The guessing is that if they decide Qatar needs some kind of dry run event they'll have them host the FIFA Club World Cup.

Four years after that, in World Cup Norte Americano '26, there won't be any new venues that FIFA will need to shake down. As Sunil Gulati famously said back when South Africa 2010 looked like it was in trouble, the US can host a World Cup with six weeks notice.

We won't be opening any new stadiums and nobody needs to check and see whether AT&T stadium in Dallas has decent media and telecom facilities or whether there are enough hotel rooms and restaurants near Soldier Field or if MetLife Stadium has sufficient road, rail and air access. Waste of time.

In any case, the real problem, as illustrated this year in Russia, is that there are too many games that the locals don't want to watch and fans won't pay thousands and thousands of dollars to travel to.

So since the ConFedCup has one foot in the grave anyway, I'm not wasting my time writing about it.

Finally, in the "I Have Not the Strength Dept.", I give you Qatar, where the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy, which is responsible for delivering the stadia and infrastructure for the World Cup, has delivered a most curious stadium feature:

A "Sensory Room".

Because the "general match day atmosphere" is "overwhelming" to some fans, a room in the brand new Khalifa International stadium has been fitted with "noise cancellation materials, soft furnishings, mood lighting, relaxing music and brightly-colored toys and equipment". These features are designed to manage anxiety and allow fans to watch the match from a "more welcoming and sedate" vantage point.

That is to say, on TV.

Since I have no desire to appear insensitive to people with cognitive disabilities who find attending soccer games to be overwhelming, I won't be pointing out that I can think of at least one other place where a fan could watch a match on TV in comfortable, "non-threatening and sedate" environs:

At home.

Why would someone pay to fly to Qatar, book an expensive hotel room and shell out for a pricey World Cup ticket package so that they can watch the games on TV?

So because I clearly don't understand the whole thing, I'm just not saying a word about it.

phat, blissett, dredgfan and 1 other person repped this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Bill Archer, Jun 27, 2017.

1. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
      Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
      Mexico
      Oct 5, 2007
      El Ombligo
      Club:
      CD Chivas de Guadalajara
      Nat'l Team:
      Mexico

I also remember Galaxy fans throwing Beans at Cubo Torres when he used to play for Chivas USA.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

Other people are idiots, racists and assholes, so it's okay for us, too.

Is that the argument I'm reading?

tomásbernal and Justin Z repped this.
    3. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
      Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
      AMÉRICA DE CALI
      Club:
      America de Cali
      Nat'l Team:
      Colombia

Of course that's not racists it's funny.:rolleyes:

AMLO2018 repped this.
    4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

It's definitely racist. Who said that it wasn't racist?

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
      Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
      AMÉRICA DE CALI
      Club:
      America de Cali
      Nat'l Team:
      Colombia

I'm not going to write about how people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

6. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
      Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
      AMÉRICA DE CALI
      Club:
      America de Cali
      Nat'l Team:
      Colombia

I'm not going to write about the galaxy and MLS fans who defended it and said it was funny.

AMLO2018 repped this.
    7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

Did they say it wasn't racist? You didn't address my question directly.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

"The other kids are all doing it" probably wasn't a valid excuse to your parents when you were growing up. I'm not sure why you think it's valid now.

Justin Z repped this.
    9. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
      Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
      AMÉRICA DE CALI
      Club:
      America de Cali
      Nat'l Team:
      Colombia

I'm not going to write about how they said
      It was a joke and not racist.

DGreat repped this.
    10. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
      Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
      AMÉRICA DE CALI
      Club:
      America de Cali
      Nat'l Team:
      Colombia

I'm not going to write about cheering Chicharito takes it up the ass is homophobic.

11. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
      an island in my mind

<cringe>

AEAAFC96, AMLO2018, DGreat and 2 others repped this.
    12. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
      Chulajuana
      Club:
      CD Chivas de Guadalajara
      Nat'l Team:
      Mexico

Bill, you're a moron

It's called FOOTBALL and AMLO2018 repped this.
    13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

Why not? It certainly is?

Are you trying to say because some Galaxy and/or USMNT use homophobic or racist chants/slurs that there's nothing wrong with Mexican fans using it, too?

That seems to be your implication.

Justin Z repped this.
    14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

Yep. Absolutely terrible.

15. AMLO2018

AMLO2018 Member+

Monterrey
      Mexico
      Jul 12, 2012
      Club:
      --other--
      Nat'l Team:
      Mexico

@Bill Archer at it against with his anti-Mexico agenda yet doesnt call out the Homophobic USMNT fans

868153843007320066 is not a valid tweet id

868166570153058304 is not a valid tweet id

868154515261976576 is not a valid tweet id

868210511275589633 is not a valid tweet id

https://mobile.twitter.com/Blaze_Campbell/status/868339231554281474

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

So, you agree that Mexican fans chanting p*to or c*lero is offensive and wrong?

We're in agreement, right?

17. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
      Vienna, VA

I'm disgusted that two MODERATORS are in here defending the "********" chant. What the hell has happened to BigSoccer?

Andy has nailed it. All the behavior you guys are bringing up? We've complained about it. YSA? We're trying to shut it up. The people complaining about the pride numbers? Ask Jaelene Hinkle how that's been received. Even Bill, who takes pride in not being the most "progressive" person in the world, gets pissed off by homophobia.

Is it an unfair generalization to say Mexico fans need to grow up? Sure. But you guys seem intent on proving it true.

I've been on BigSoccer since time began. I've never been this disgusted with moderators. (Granted, I stay out of certain forums, but still.)

Martininho, adi21 and Eastern Bear repped this.
    18. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
      an island in my mind

oh. Funny how you assume we don't do the same. Your sanctimonious hand wringing is blinding you to the fact that we're pointing out your rampant hypocrisy and not agreeing with the "chant". I think every poster that's responded to this maudlin post has come out against the chant numerous times on our boards. You all default to thinking we're defending it simply because we're Mexican. This is why you all are a mocked fan base. The lack of self awareness. Most of you induce cringing and it's seldom worth engaging you all because sane voices are drowned out in your pathetic echo chamber. This thread and blog post are proof of that.

At least you all are consistent though. I guess that counts for something.

19. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
      Portland, OR

Didn't "The Fort" of the Revolution used to revel in the "YSA" chant until they were sanctioned by the organization? As an institutional response, that is a far cry from what the FMF has done.

I have never noticed AO doing the YSA chant, which isn't to say that it hasn't happened, but, like many of the incidents above, those instances are neither embraced nor defended. Rather than supporting your argument, you have found that some individuals say and do reprehensible things.
      The huge majority of Americans and certainly US Soccer and other professional organizations in this country disavow and discredit such behavior, and do what they can to stamp it out of the game.

Justin Z and Beau Dure repped this.
    20. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
      an island in my mind

Thank god you're so much better than we are and that you all are so classy. Maybe we can learn from you and the world will be a better place.

"Rather than supporting your argument, you have found that some individuals say and do reprehensible things."

Thank you for treating us as a monolith. You're right the FMF has done absolutely nothing. I think they even support it! Everyone on the boards and in the stadia are for the chant. You're right.

You people are embarrassing.

Hugo Sanchez and sidspaceman repped this.
    21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
      United States
      Dec 28, 2006
      Cowlumbus, OH
      Club:
      Borussia Mönchengladbach
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

As we used to say on rec.sport.soccer back in the day

"*Pot*-- *Kettle*--*Black*"

adi21 and Eastern Bear repped this.
    22. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
      an island in my mind

Jesus Christ you people are dense. That's exactly my point.

Hugo Sanchez and sidspaceman repped this.
    23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

So your real point is that we should all just shut the hell up and let the homophobes get on with their chants?

24. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
      an island in my mind

<sigh>
      [​IMG]

DGreat and sidspaceman repped this.
    25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
      Seat 12A
      Club:
      Sporting Kansas City

Okay. Let's try this.

You agree that the Mexican fans should stop the p*to chant. Is that correct?

adi21 repped this.