Stuart Holden [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NBlue, Jul 11, 2009.

1. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not just that he made an absolutely perfect through ball to set up the first goal tonight. Its not just that he took an absolutely crackerjack shot from about 15 yards outside the 18 in the first half that rattled the crossbar and missed being a golazo by about an inch and, of course, its not just that he scored an absolutely spectacular goal at a time when we had to have it to draw the match, Stuart Holden is a f****** player and he deserves to get minutes with the US "A" team.

I think, arguably, this has been the case for at least the last 10 months (since the Olympics) though he has not sniffed the "A" team as of yet. Not only does he have the potential to knock the stuffing out of the ball from well outside the 18, but he combines very well with his teammates and combines gritty play with insightful vision. This isn't JUST based on his play tonite, his play in the first match was also superb and his play with the olympic squad was extremely solid if not more than that.

Holden deserves to have the opportunity to challenge Dempsey to start on the right -- I certainly hope BB gives him that shot.

2. Jeff D. Fulton

Sep 8, 2005
    I have always liked him too. Those were three great plays, but he did spray quite a few passes directly to Haitian players and made a few other mistakes on the ball. I agree though, I'd like to see him on the field with better players who can help life his game even more.

3. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    So how did Stuart's game against Haiti compare to Sacha Kljestan's game against Sweden's B team? Enquiring minds want to know.

Seriously though, I think Stuart has a much tidier game that will translate better at the international level. Move him ahead of Sacha on the depth chart.

4. Colombolq

Colombolq Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I think he would be better served playing in Central Mid. He has good vision, good pace, and playing in the mid would give him a better chance at those shots from distance. Playing on the right would probably relegate him more towards crosses and not with the ball as much.

5. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say similar though not quite as impressive as Sacha's play in that match. At that time, Sacha was playing at the top of his game and his hattrick was absolutely incredible -- especially, the golazo from about 30 yards out off a free kick -- incredible goal. Based, in part, on his play in that match Sacha rightly earned a number of opportunities with the USMNT. However, the Sacha of today fails to compare with the Sacha who had a great few months over that period and almost inked a deal with Rangers (or was it Celtic, can't recall). Sadly, Sacha has lost confidence and, at this point, seems to be a shell of the player he was at that time. Still, respectfully, I don't see why Sacha's disappointing play necessarily means that Stuart will do the same. He may well flame out with the "A" team as Sacha has done or, OTOH, he may well prove to be a solid addition and raise his game at that level. All I am saying is that he has been THE most impressive player in the Gold Cup group stages and deserves a shot to get a chance with the "A" team.

6. Tread

Tread New Member

Jul 1, 2009
    One of the main points of sending our C/D team to the Gold Cup was so that we could evaluate new guys. In the threads here discussing which players we'd like to see get a chance on our Gold Cup team, Holden was the most-mentioned, followed by Rogers, then Cooper, then Quaranta. Personally, I love players with a great outside-shot, so I'd love to see Holden on the A/B team.

7. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Logan Pause must be really great to keep this guy on the bench. :)

I thought after the first couple times that I saw Stu play two years ago that he should be on the National Team pronto. I'm not sure why it's been such a slow process. I've never understood how so many American coaches have rated him behind Lost Possession Klejstan.

Holden vs. Rogers in this tournament = the difference between "looking good" and actual productivity.

Plus he could play either flank, ACM, or even DM, I think, in a pinch or a Must-score situation. Heck, he's played on the backline in the past, I think.

I also think he's faster than anyone thinks, because he's a smooth strider who doesn't look like he's running hard. And he's definitely one of the smartest players that we have.

Left back? :)

8. pankfish

pankfish Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Stuart won't work in the middle for BB unless he get's more serious with his defense. I think that may be the reason Dom played him in the back in his last Dynamo game. I think right now he has to be at least a sub for the A team for an offensive threat. He would work well if BB continues moving Dempsey forward in the last 30 minutes of "A" team matches.

9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was actually most impressed by his work rate. For most of the first half, and large chunks of the second, he seemed everywhere. Sometimes that's not such a great thing; but he simultaneously didn't seem to get burned for being out of position or anything.

10. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Exactly. On national team, central midfielders have to be box to box players. He has fantastic skill for sure, but he needs to be a better ball winner to be on the A team as a central midfielder. Haiti seemed to win most 50 50 balls in midfield. They were quicker reacting to the ball and were faster running to loose balls. Holden's ball winning skill is not good enough yet.

11. TheCruise

TheCruise New Member

Nov 9, 2005
    I was going to start a thread about Holden after today's game to ask the question, was it more a case of 1) Holden being that much better than the rest of the B-team tryouts (sans Davies, of course), or 2) the rest of today's squad being that much worse??? I think it's the former, but it's hard to tell based on one game against a nation that's better known for voodoo than futbol.

Also, unless I missed it skimming thru the thread, nobody's mentioned how excellent his service from set piece situations is, which has got to be a big plus when you're looking for the last few guys to fill out your team.

12. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is making a very strong case for himself as Dempsey's backup at RM, and he has the attributes to also be a versatile utility guy at CM or even LM. Kljestan is in for a dog fight for this RM/utility role. Holden is a bit tidier with the ball than Kljestan and I like what I've seen.

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice player. Both carries the ball and moves into space without it very well.

Does he hit bombs in MLS, too?

14. I would say that his versatility at this point is his biggest asset. In long tournaments, sometimes the best picks are the ones that can cover many positions. As others have said, he seems comfortable playing left, right, centrally, attacking and defending (at least with Houston). With only 23 spots we will need one or two highly versatile players. He fits the bill.

15. Klinsmannfan

Klinsmannfan Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    C/D team?
    Come on, lets not not put a label on players. Same goes for B.Bradley. Everyone on the pool deserve the same chance - compete for a spot.
    I don't like the notion of "A" or "B" team. This conditioned view has to be abandon for the USMNT to really reach its potential.

16. SokkerNut

SokkerNut Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes he hits bombs like this in the MLS!!!:D

17. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those wondering why Holden wasn't in the pool before this need to remember three things:

1) He ended the season poorly with Houston post-Beijing
    2) He was called into camp in January, but got hurt and was rehabbing until mid-March
    3) He started the season miserably with Houston and didn't really find a rhythm til the beginning of May

Bradley brought him in at the right time, and full credit to the kid for taking the opportunity with both hands. Hopefully he gets some more time at right mid, continues to play well, and solidifies a spot as Dempsey's back-up.

18. gibroni

gibroni BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 2, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    When we beat Mejiko next month BB could throw him into a qualifier this fall. he's played great for Houston so far this year after replaceing arguably the best player in MLS (DeRo). I thinkk Jermaine Jones crowds the roster a bit in midfield for the WC but at this pint I'd rather see Holden go to SA than Beasley. I'm guessing 8 midfielders at least will go. I'd like to see a depth chart listing out top 10 middies.

19. CHI_TOWN_BALLA

Dec 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    couldn't of said that better. I don't think he'll be ahead of dempsey any time soon be he certainly can serve as a good backup. I hope he moves overseas this year to get some better experience ahead of the world cup though. Absolutely crazy strike in todays game.

20. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stuart Holden > Freddy Adu

I hope we don't see more Freddy before we see more Stu this cycle.

My only complaint is that he sometimes dallies on the ball in the middle of the field and his set piece deliveries are not that great. He probably won't be taking those with the first team anyway, so I can live with it.

21. Tread

Tread New Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Yeah, I was struggling with what terms/labels to use. But I knew that all the guys on the Gold Cup squad are guys from the US Mens's National Team pool listed on their website, so I believe all of them are the top 0.001% when it comes to all the other Americans in our country their ages that play soccer. Would it have been better if I had used the labels "A1/A2 team" and "A3/A4 team," with a footnote pointing out that they are all A-rate, that they are all A-team?

22. rep21

rep21 New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holden gave the ball away so many times in midfield today and his crossing/free kicks were poor. I don't really see how he will ever be able to fit in the center of a Bob Bradley midfield. His future is out wide.

He has a lot of positives though and would make my 23 man WC roster for sure. Hope he makes a move back to Europe again. Exciting young player!

23. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Yes, he had some turnovers, but he had the ball all the time. His set pieces are usually excellent.

24. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, his creativity is better served in the middle. However, he isn't as good as our other CM options (Bradley, Feilhaber), at least not at this point. Fortunately, he also plays extremely well on the outside. Honestly, I thought he was our best mid in the Olympics (yes, above Bradley, Edu, and Sacha), and it's a shame he had a run of bad form/injury while the other three were stepping up their games (two of which hopefully stepped it up to stay). At this point, he's not 100% polished (too many giveaways, particularly early in the game, against Haiti), but he's creative and dangerous, both shooting and passing. I don't see anyone I'd rather have as Dempsey's backup. And, if there's a matchup that's better served by putting Dempsey up top, I think Holden could be our RM. As an added bonus, he provides depth across the midfield, in case we have card suspension (wouldn't you have loved to see him instead of Sacha when Benny wore out against Brazil?).

Basically, he's dangerous, versatile, and playing a position without much depth. IMO, that puts him in our 23, and hopefully his game will improve another notch by next summer.

25. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see his percentages on passing. Most of the turnovers I saw were in the attacking third, but the TV I was watching the game on was pretty small.