Pre-match: Strikers vs. Puerto Rico Islanders ::: NASL Semifinals Leg 2

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by drSoFlaFan, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record. Strikers 2 v 1 PR. Strikers up 5-2 on aggregate. I guzzled some dayquil & attended despite a threat of rain. I feel like crap today, but it was worth it. Great time & a fun game.

GO STRIKERS!!!!

2. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    which jerseyswill Minnesnowda wear during the finals ? their dark blue ones or the throwback jerseys

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    which jerseyswill Minnesnowda wear during the finals ? their dark blue ones or the Kicks throwback jerseys ?

4. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You guys outdid yourselves once again! Very fitting tifo! Wasn't really a Fusion fan myself, just had a real tough time with a team called "Miami Fusion" playing their game's in what was to me the Strikers' stadium. Never could understand why they didn't brand the team properly in the first place, because if they had, it would still be in MLS today. But those three stars on the left, as I kid I was amazed and cheered for them like everyone else at Lockahrt. And you guys definitely got it right by adding Marty. He's not the best player on this team, but he seems like he's the leader. He plays with heart and guts, and most of the time that is enough for him to beat opposing players with more skill. I voted for him for your player of the year, and I think all of the fans who have followed this team over the last couple of years would agree he's the one guy that fans can really connect with on that field. Great stuff!

Now, just a bit more business to attend to........

5. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We added Martyn for exactly the reasons you pointed out. All heart, leaves nothing on the field. And he's awesome with the fans. He's out at our tailgate area after every single game chatting it up. He even personally apologized after that embarrassing loss at home to Atlanta. Guy is pure class.

The idea was to honor the legends from each era of soccer at Lockhart, not necessarily just the Strikers. You had Best of the original Strikers, Cubillas from Strikers 1.0, FTL Sun and Strikers 2.0, Hudson of Strikers 1.0, 2.0 and Fusion, Serna from the Fusion and Miami FC, and Marty with Miami FC/Strikers 3.0.

What's the line? "Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it." We have to remember the Fusion and Miami FC as lessons of what not to do. But the failures of those teams does not diminish the accomplishments of the players who took the field in those uniforms, nor does it diminish the memories those of us who followed those clubs. My first real soccer game with Miami FC. I can pass over the W-L-D record, but I'll never forget the great times and friends I've made following the Blues. And now it's turned into something truly special with the rebirth of the Strikers.