Pre-match: Strikers vs. Puerto Rico Islanders ::: NASL Semifinals Leg 2

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by drSoFlaFan, Oct 9, 2011.

1. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a FANTASTIC 3-1 result in Bayamón on Saturday, the Strikers are coming home for Leg 2 with a major advantage.

The cards our really in our favor. A massive meltdown is required for us to to be knocked out. Keep it up boys, let's go to the FINALS!!

Everyone needs to tell EVERYONE about this game. Want to see at least 5,000 people there to cheer the team on!

2. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will they have all of their players back that were missing because of the Int'l break?

3. Heggis27

Heggis27 Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    They had them for the first leg (give or take Telesford), but mostly on the bench. Puerto Rico plays at Canada on Wednesday, Faña (DR) plays at Suriname and Telesford (T&T) hosts Barbados; they'll have all their players on Saturday.

4. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    PR plays on Tuesday

5. Heggis27

Heggis27 Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Yeah, that.

6. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    read somewhere that the Islanders were missing 6 players last saturday

7. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit of a concern with their intl players coming back. Having a couple of games under their belt at a higher level of competition may backfire on us...

Just a bit of pessimism...

8. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree the Strikers can't take this match lightly, they need to go in full throttle and finish them off, no mercy. They have their boot on the Islanders' throat right now. Can't let up until they're done.

That being said we did not lose at home vs. PRI this year, and "La Tropa Naranja" were at full strength for both of those games.

9. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any worries out there that attendance may be affected by the FAU stadium opener that night? I have been trying to get people to come to the strikers but it seems that they are going to FAU instead.

10. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. It's also the home opener for the Panthers at the Bank Atlantic Center. Hopefully we still get a nice crowd.

11. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poop on all of 'em. I have my ticket for the game. I'll get there as early as I can. I hope all the usual suspects are there with me, along with a bunch of 'newbies'...;)...See ya then.

GO STRIKERS!!!!

12. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I just wanted to tell you both... Good luck. We're all counting on you.

13. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I learned a valuable lesson today. NEVER link to photos using your smartphone, since the Android browser doesn't support animated photos. All I saw was a still of Dr. Rumack.

This is what I saw, and what I wanted to link to:

[​IMG]

I swear, that's what I meant.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGuAhH8ZkKY"]Airplane! Dr Rumack 14.divx - YouTube[/ame]

14. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A likely story....:rolleyes:

(roflmao)

15. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, it's not a party til you get out Otto. :p

16. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TWC site has today as temps in the mid 80s F, overcast, with a 30% chance of rain from 3PM on.

I hope it holds & we have a decent evening for the game.

17. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gameday! At Last!!! Been anxious all week! Wow, for much of this season, who would have thought we'd be sitting in this position today? I think we all felt the talent was there, but for things to come together, some breaks to go our way, and to find ourselves at home, in leg two of the Semis with a +2 lead already in place? Wow!!!

I expect, and very much hope, we 'll see the same lineup that's played so well the last two games, with a slight change or two perhaps. Big Matt in goal of course; Marty and Stahl who might just be our two biggest players tonight patrolling the back; Laing and I think we might see Arrieta back in the lineup at right back (although Gordon has subbed well for him, so if he's in again I think we'll be fine); the sniper Restrepo, Arguez, Palacio (still go back and forth in my mind between him and Chacho, one of these games our horocious set piece play without Chacho involved is going to bite us in the arse) and hopefully Mayen is back, don't know why he was out last week, but he's performed far better than Pecka or that putz Morales; and lastly up front Shriver the goal machine of course, and you'd assume Abe if whatever injury took him out of the 2nd half in PR is ok now, otherwise I suppose we'll see Nunez, although I've always maintained he is far more effective as a sub later in the game.

We need to be very conscious of our end of the pitch. I'm not saying drop 10 behind the ball, but I'd like to see a little more caution on the counter attacks. Sometimes we get caught with too many upfield and give up good chances. Can't have that tonight. That said, I think the Islanders will have to play with such desperation, there certainly will be plenty of chances for us to break and get good looks. We HAVE to finish chances. If we can score just one goal, PR will be in a real bad spot needing 4 of their own to just force an OT. I don't see that happening. And we have to be DISCIPLINED. The best chance for the Islanders to get multiple goals will be if one of our guys makes a dumb play and gets kicked out. We can't be trying to hold this lead down a man t o this team, they are too good.

I know the crowd won't be as big as it could or should be tonight. I'm resigning myself to the probable fact that our only real chance at a very large number will be in the finals. Let's be loud and proud though, those of us that have been there all year, and those who are coming out the first time! Let's let the Islanders know that there is no way they're coming into OUR HOUSE and taking this lead from us! Everyone, tonight, be there!!!! GO STRIKERS!!!!!!

18. Heggis27

Heggis27 Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    All he can do is score PKs with two late game free kicks. He's too slow to cover enough ground as a central midfielder, and his style of game doesn't fit us, he doesn't have the tackling ability to be a defensive midfielder and he isn't an outside mid (not that we use real outside mids anyway). If you have to get him on the field (you don't), he'd have to be a withdrawn forward, and he's not worth slotting in over Nuñez, Shriver or Abe. If anything, he's a late game sub when we need a goal, nothing more.

...did I mention he's a hot head?

The math's off. If we score one goal and they score four, they win the series 5-4. The away goals rule isn't in play. If we lose by two tonight, the game's going into extra time regardless of the number of goals either team scores.

I don't think the team's going to draw it's largest crowd during football season...especially with the Panthers home opener on the same night (which I wouldn't necessarily give a lot of credence to if it wasn't announced they're 1k away from a sell out). Hopefully I'm wrong and there are enough South Floridians trying to take in a sporting contest live today. I'll be sad with 3k, slightly disappointed with 3500, content with 4k and happy with 4500+.

I think it may be a decent idea to try to switch games to Sunday evening (6 or 7 PM start), not opposite the Dolphins, come September on.

19. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TWC now predicts a 75% chance of rain the evening around 730pm to 900pm - game time. I've been fighting a cold all week. Probably won't be there tonight.

Poop.....:(

20. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Strikers up 1-0 :)

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strikers move on to final vs. MN Stars. In Ft Lauderdale?

Congrats!

22. Heggis27

Heggis27 Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    It's a two-leg final. I'm ok with us having the far more boring of the two semifinal second legs.

Got the job done. Keep it up. Get players healthy/fit this week.

23. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game! Great atmosphere! WE'RE IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!

Decent crowd of 4,233. Hope to see at least double that for the 2nd leg of the finals.

LEGENDARY night!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wind would not cooperate, even ripped the thing when we were setting up/testing. But there's nothing a mess of duck tape won't fix :D

GO STRIKERS!!

24. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Legendary tifo.

25. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+