Strikers vs. FC Edmonton ::: HOME OPENER!!

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by drSoFlaFan, Apr 5, 2011.

1. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay

what?

2. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow, what was all that Dynamite? On the field the team definitely did not perform up to expectations. Don't forget that a number of starters were out injured though as well. Other than that, I don't know how anyone could have asked for a batter start for the return of the Strikers. What I saw all evening when I looked around both before the game outside the stadium, and then during it inside, was a lot of people having fun. I think it's way too early for anyone to be thinking the crowd will diminish simply because of a loss. I wouldn't put money on the crowd hitting 6,000 again Friday, but it's not because we lost last night. It's because the game will be on a Friday at 8:30 instead of Saturday at 7:30. I'll be brave and make the first attendance prediction for Game 2 over in the Attendance thread in a few.

3. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow... worst WUM ever!

4. bubba12885

bubba12885 New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had the uprights still up for the game because the University of Miami Spring Football game is going to be held this upcoming Saturday, hence why the Strikers are playing there home game this week on Friday.

After that the goal posts should be taken down though, unless FAU plans to play there spring game @ lockhart as well, but I doubt it.

5. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense. Thanks Bubba.

6. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats Strikers and Orlando City!

Hopefully MLS Commish Don Garber will take FL more seriously for the next expansion teams.

7. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inaugural home openers in Florida:

FC Tampa Bay 8,060
    Orlando City 7,990
    Strikers 6,400

Not too shabby. Hopefully Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale don't have too big a dip once the new car smell wears off (Orlando fans don't seem to quite get that this is going to happen). Then once FCTB figures out it's stadium situation on the correct side of the bay we could have three very solid D2/D3 franchises in Florida after years of either nothing or aborted attempts at top flight soccer.

MLS won't be far behind and it'll just depend on which franchise comes up with the cash first. In the meantime just enjoy what you have in the moment. Worrying too much about what the future might bring will cause you to miss out on or not get as much out of the great times soccer fans in Florida are having right now.

8. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. Here's to a successful, long future for pro soccer in all 3 markets. I doubt there is a huge dip in store here in FTL. It'll drop a little, but with what should be a decent team and a favorable schedule we should be in good shape. Every game except this Friday and a Wednesday game in Sept. is on a Saturday night at 7:30. Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel. And unlike the first Miami FC game back in 2006 that drew around 6K fans, fans in Fort Lauderdale, the city of Fort Lauderdale itself, and the Fort Lauderdale paper/TV channel(Sun Sentinel and SFL) actually give a damn about this team because it's uniquely theirs. The interest should be pretty consistent all year long.

4-6K average is right where we should be at for a properly promoted D2 team in Florida.

9. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd be great if you guys averaged over 4k. I think it is possible and the NASL could use that kind of good news when they are out shopping around for new owners in new markets. Tampa revised our home opener for this season to just over 4k, also good news and we'll see if we can improve on that.

The NASL teams definitely have an advantage over OCSC as far as the schedule goes. They have too many Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night games plus their season is squeezed into a significantly shorter time frame. Even so, if they can win I can still see them averaging between 3500 and 4500.

Would be fantastic to have them move up to the NASL soon. I wouldn't be surprised if the league courts them heavily as they look for expansion teams.

10. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think we're going to be well over 4,000, and if the team stays in the top half of the standings and is good at home, 5,000 isn't outside the realm of possibility at all either. And here's one to mull over for a few months LOL.....

if the NASL championship is Rowdies vs. Strikers - Lockhart would reach 10,000+..................:cool:

11. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be sick.

12. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strikers vs. Rowdies in the final would probably be the best thing for the league, and it would be FABULOUS for soccer in the state of Florida.

13. Kimpero

Kimpero New Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    I honestly believe that would be the greatest soccer event in the United States all year long. The concept of playing one match away and one at home in the finals, beats the "MLS Cup" model hands down as well.

Maybe a tiny bit too earlier to talk about that, though.

14. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but fun to talk about. Having in state, hated rivals battle in a 2 leg home and home finals would put the neutral site MLS Cup to shame.

15. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    Go Edmonton!

Eh? Oh!

16. Kimpero

Kimpero New Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    Exactly. If playoffs are something the crowd wants, this is the way to pull it off.

17. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I was just thinking of that scenario a couple weeks ago.

18. faine01

faine01 Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Anyone have the starting line-up's for Ft. lauderdale? I'm trying to make them on fifa 11 but i want it to be at least some what correct.

19. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give it a shot:

GK Nic Platter #1(Matt Glaeser #24 usual starter but he's been hurt)

D Zach Kirby #3
    D Adam West #13
    D Martyn Lancaster #27
    D Aaron Hohlbein(Captain) #22

M Paulinho Le Petit #7
    M Bryan Arguez #17
    M Mike Palacios #10
    M Martin Nuñez #23

F Abe Thompson #9
    F Aaron Wheeler #12

20. faine01

faine01 Member