Strikers Rebrand: Name Poll

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by drSoFlaFan, Aug 29, 2010.

1. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tradition is important because the success of soccer in SF started with Ft. Lauderdale Strikers. Not Miami Gatos/Toros, does anyone even remember those teams? IF SF doesn't embrace Strikers as Ft. Lauderdale the team will be forgotten just like Toros and Gatos. Miami FC has a team for 5 years now and I don't see crowds coming to games, don't blame Traffic and don't blame the marketing. Soccer in the U.S. is a uphill battle.

We here on the west coast have a team called Tampa Bay Rowdies for me the team represents the whole "Bay" area, we will be playing in St. Petersburg, I don't hear fans saying we should rename the team to St. Petersburg whatever. I don't understand why Miami is so "anal" about a name? who cares? and also the MLS bullshit...we as the Mob never talk about fantasies like this..Support D2 let's get the rivalry going.

2. Viva Miami

Viva Miami Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think for marketing alone they need to go with something that has broader appeal to all of South Florida, like the Panthers and Marlins have. I also hope they go with something different for a name and so I am pulling for Strikers 11 or Strikers FC.

The Ft Lauderdale Strikers had their time and place and I think that is in the past now. How many people that live in SFL now were around when the original Strikers played? South Florida is a very different place and the new name should reflect that and be more of a nod to the past than a rehash.

Anyone see the Facebook posting today with the mascot and kid holding up a Strikers shirt?

3. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Viva, I'm wondering if you read through this thread completely. You're pretty much just making the same point as Lucho, but in a more general way. I am still waiting for someone to really make a good argument for why something generic like "South Florida" Strikers makes more sense then a complete and FULL rebrand back to the Strikers name. By cutting off Ft. Lauderdale, you're disconnecting from the entire purpose. Any PR person in the world would probably tell you that reviving an old brand should be done fully or not at all. It makes no sense to say they want to reconnect the current team to the Strikers legacy and honor it, and then not even bother to keep the full name.

Then we have the matter of the comparison of attendance for teams named Ft. Lauderdale Strikers as opposed to any other pro soccer team name in this area. The Strikers had their time and place? Someone forgot to mention that to the San Jose Earthquakes, the Seattle Sounders, the Portland Timbers, the Vancouver Whitecaps, and very soon, the New York Cosmos. Are you saying you disagree with the success of all of these teams, or that the Cosmos won't be #20? Is it all illusion? Do you want to give me odds against Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver all being in the top five in attendance for MLS next season? Because I'll take them in a heartbeat.

Bottom line is this Viva - we have one pro soccer team in South Florida right now, and it's the Strikers. My hunch is, Traffic has done some research, consulted with PMI, and come to the conclusion that if they are going to bother with their rebrand being a reconnection to the Strikers of old, they have to revive the proper name just like all the other clubs named above. If not, you may as well have never even mentioned the name Strikers. Update and change the crest a bit. Do something a little different with the kits. But the name HAS to be the same or the Strikers rebrand is a half-assed sham.

As for your comment about no one being around still from the old Strikers days, I beg to differ. My recollection of the games at Lockhart wasn't a stadium full of old farts. I'm sure that Broward and Palm Beach are full of people, who like me, went to those games as a kid with their families, and are in a position to now take their own families to see the Strikers reborn.

Look, the hard core soccer fans in the tri-county area are going to go to the games no matter where it's at for the most part, and no matter what the team is called. The trick is getting those casual soccer and casual sports fans. If you offer a product that has a fun atmosphere and is relatively inexpensive, that's +1. If you take the time and money to market said product in the community, that's +1 again. Now, how do you get the best return on your marketing investment once you have that message in front of potential customers? What makes it most attractive to them beyond the first two points I just made? You need something that grabs their attention. The Ft. Lauderdale Strikers name and brand still have menaing. It's the only pro sports team in Broward that ever captured people's attention and hearts. What does South Florida Strikers mean? What does Strikers 11 mean? Not nearly as much as being able to build on a foundation that was laid long ago.

4. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the point is this S&M, if they were to be named Strikers FC, those fans from Broward and Palm Beach would still go to the games as people like me and Viva as well, along with more Miami Fans, but if you keep it at the original ft, lauderdale strikers, you are not going to have the tri-county area.

I told you S&M, look at that, another Miami fan telling you the same thing....

I understand your passion for Ft, Lauderdale Strikers, but htey would still be the strikers even if they name them Strikers FC or Strikers 11 , it still has the strikers name and history attached to it. It is still the Strikers regardless the name S&M!!!

Like i said this rebrand thing is important to those who think a full rebrand is going to take you back in time, and its not, it will never be the same... Just name them Strikers FC open you market don't seclude it...

Im also thinking in the long runas well, most of you guys want this to be the next MLS team to move up right? Well if it is named Ft. Lauderdale strikers, i wouldnt want it to move up tp MLS, but if they stay with Strikers FC or strikers 11, ormaybe name them Miami Strikers when they move up then im good, but don't move them as ft. lauderdale strikers, that will turn off any Miami fan, and MLS is for Miami.....

5. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but, you forgot a very important ingredient: a winning team on the field. One that has a chance to win championships often and, at least, makes the playoff every year. That's the best advertising of all. It's much more fun to drive to whatever stadium in wherever it may be to root for a winning home team. The example of the other sports teams here should show that to be a fact. Hopefully, whoever runs the Strikers understands this.

6. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true!! a winning is what they need to get butts in the stands not the name, I mean it is already strikers no matter what...

Traffic better have us a great team to work with, well traffic if is of any importabce charlue davies is looking for a loan, one down here would win us some games and give us incredible star power!!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2011/02/dc_united_might_acquire_charli.html

7. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the reality of the matter is this: Broward County BY ITSELF as a metro area, is as large or larger then the metro areas of many MLS markets: San Jose, Kansas City, Portland, Vancouver, Columbus, and Salt Lake City. That's not even counting Palm Beach County. If they do things right they don't need Miami. They could operate successfully without a single fan from Miami-Dade. There are more people in South Florida who live in Broward and Palm Beach combined than there are in Dade County. It doesn't have to always be about Miami. If being the "Fort Lauderdale Strikers", in NASL or MLS, turns off Miami fans then that's their problem, because as the numbers show, they don't need Miami fans to be successful.

Now that being said, we all want all of South Florida to back the team we have. That's why this stubborn "Miami/regional name or bust" attitude is so disheartening to see. By you guys' logic, we should also rename the Heat and Dolphins and stop the Marlins from changing their name to Miami, so that they are more inclusive. But I don't here anyone in Miami or anywhere else clamoring for that to happen. Because it would be stupid. Just like some kind of re-hash of the Strikers name would be.

Miami is the flashier name and that's the only location that Claure seems interested in when it comes to MLS. But MLS is certainly not "for Miami" as you put it. Again, what if the new Fort Lauderdale Strikers are able to do exactly what Portland, Seattle, Vancouver and Montréal have done? What if great crowds show up to every game in D2 and Traffic decides, either by themselves or with another investor, to revamp Lockhart and move the team to MLS? Changing the name at that point would be downright stupid.

8. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned what you stated in your 1st paragraph here a month or so ago. The Strikers could try to make it in Palm Beach & Broward Counties only. Like you, I said that's not the idea behind it or what we want. As for Mr Claure being interested only in Miami; if I remember correctly, Garber said that the South Florida market & it's 5 - 6 million people is what they are after, not just 1 of the 3 counties. Assuredly Miami-Dade has to be part of the mix, as do the other 2. The 3 counties make up South Florida, not any one or any combination of 2. I still feel that the 3 working together can pull off getting an MLS team if we get together and do what needs to be done.

Divided, we fail. All of us. The constant, asinine whining & bickering over name and location is defeating the cause. Let's look at the ultimate goal & go for it.

9. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lucho, we're still agreeing to disagree on this. The difference is, I'm making points, not emotional ones, but logical ones, that support my argument. All you keep telling me is that young Miamians like yourself have a distaste for a team that is named Ft. Lauderdale. But again, I go right back to the last five years Lucho. Where were the Miamians when the team was names Miami, and even played in Dade County?!? They were nowhere to be found, so Traffic is pulling out what is most likely their last card in operating pro soccer here in South Florida - the Strikers. The name Miami didn't work any better then it did at any time in the past. Playing in Miami didn't work any better then it did at any time in the past. Naming a team Miami and playing in Ft. Lauderdale didn't work any better then it did at any time in the past. So what's left?

Judging by what we've seen, especially in recent years, the number of Miami fans actually attending the team's games is minimal at best. So if they lose a very small percentage of the fanbase by naming the team Ft. Lauderdale Strikers, it is a very small price to pay compared to what they stand to gain by reconnecting to the successful brand of the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers from the past.

Here's the reality of where we are at. Traffic has tried a number of things to make pro soccer work down here, all of which have failed miserably to this point. Considering the nightmare that breaking away frmo USL and trying to get D2 sanctioning has become, I'm guessing they are pretty close to being done with this area. I think they are committed to giving it one last try in the form of the Strikers. Double that up with the fact that Garber came here and told fans directly - support the Strikers if you want any hope of ever getting into MLS. What you have is every reason in the world for EVERY person in South Florida who wants to be able to see pro soccer at ANY level to come out and support the Strikers with everything they've got.

Turning up your nose at the ONLY pro soccer chance we have left because the team is named Ft. Lauderdale just further legitimizes the stereotype perception that's out there, fair or not, that Miami fans are band wagon fans, fair weather fans, not true and loyal sports fans, and that South Beach is really what they're all about. And beyond all of this Lucho, in the end you're being a bit hypocritical. You condemn those of us that think Ft. Lauderdale is the right way to go, that we care too much about a name, but then you admit your real problem is the fact that the team has a city's name on it that isn't Miami! Broward and Palm Beach residents have supported "Miami" teams for years, but it's absurd for any Miamian to support a team in Ft. Lauderdale? That smacks of nothing more then simple ego, and not really caring about pro soccer.

Anyway, like I've said before, we could go on and on, back and forth, and never agree. The offer still stands, come on over to section 122, shake my hand, and I'll buy you a beer! :D Go Strikers!!!!

10. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Antique, I agree, but only somewhat. I certainly can't speak for all fans, but here is what the stereotype says - Miami fans are bandwagon fans. And as we all know, to some degree, even if it's just a small one, stereotypes are often founded on some sort of truth, or at least the general perception of it. I agree that even if the team is named Ft. Lauderdale Strikers and there is very little Dade County support at first, if word spreads about the team, and they are winning games, this more than anything else would seem to be what would pull more Dade residents into the fanbase. Who doesn't love a winner? But Traffic needs to appeal to consistent supporters FIRST. To me that means Broward and Palm Beach, and that also means Ft. Lauderdale Strikers. Miami has never supported pro soccer, it's fact. Time to try something that actually worked VERY well at one point in time. I think Broward and even Palm Beach will be far more likely to live and die with their team consistently if they have that feeling of it really being theirs returned to them in the form of the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers. And I'm talking about fans how are more casual or not fans at all at this point. These are the people that need to be reached, they are what will turn the tide on attendance if it can be done.

11. Viva Miami

Viva Miami Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The teams in the PNW are successful because they have made going to their games the cool thing to do through a bunch of marketing, not because they borrowed a name from a team in the past. Changing the name to a team we had almost 30 years ago isn't going to magically get 5,000 people to show up every game. I would prefer that we do things differently in SFL and not copy other teams. We need a name that sticks out a bit. I hope it is Strikers 11.

And it is not just Miami that is full of band wagon fans. It is all of SFL. Bottom line- if the team put together something that wins pretty regularly and markets well people will turn up.

12. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of those teams did a lot of marketing as D2 clubs. Probably better than Miami FC has done, but still nothing crazy. Vancouver had some games on local TV but other than that not a lot. It also helped somewhat in Portland and Vancouver that they only had one major league team in town. But those clubs have done well primarily because those brands, Timbers, Sounders and Whitecaps, have been playing soccer on and off since the 70s. Same with the Strikers and also the Rowdies in Tampa. Both Florida markets had MLS come in and totally disregard the history and those teams no longer exist. While in Portland and Vancouver, and also San Jose, whose teams started out as FC Portland, the Vacouver 86ers and San Jose Clash, they all got the chance to change to the popular local brands that have roots in their communities.

Very true. But it doesn't hurt to put the right foot forward. Marketing well starts with not fumbling with a rebrand that is bringing back a beloved local icon in the Fort Lauderdale Srikers.

13. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

AGREED to the fullest!!!!!!!!!!!! Or name them Strikers FC!!!

You guys can say all you want, but it just isnt going to convince me unless they really do pull out butts in the seats, and have increased attendance by filling up Lockhart stadium

14. Viva Miami

Viva Miami Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the name debate on here may show that the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers name may not be as beloved today as it once was. Through international immigration and people moving into SFL from others areas of the country SFL is a very different place today. I don't think there is as strong connection to the name anymore.

15. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Perhaps. But this is a very small sample size. However the 67% Fort Lauderdale registered in the poll at the top of this page seems to speak in favor of the name.

Even if the name has lost some of it's luster over time, there is still an big advantage to using it, and that is a strong connection and appeal it can have to Broward fans. Think about it. No teams are named after Fort Lauderdale. The Strikers were the only team ever to do so(excluding the minor league baseball affiliates of the Yankees and Orioles). We all gladly support the Miami teams we have, but giving Broward fans a team that is uniquely our own can(and has in the past) breed a stronger support base in the areas directly surrounding where the team plays.

You lose that effect with a generic name. As S&M said a few posts back, any loss of Miami fans would be greatly offset by what they stand to gain in the Broward/Palm Beach areas. For a minor league team especially, rather than appealing to everyone, a generic name really appeals to no one. The fan base coming out of Miami isn't going to get any bigger this year, that's for sure. By taking Miami out of the name that's probably put a dent in the already meager support from Dade, support that surely went down when they moved full time to Lockhart. And then, just like the Fusion did, with a non-Fort Lauderdale name they'd be disrespecting the fans up here that already have an established soccer history.

16. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God forbid a team in South Florida not be called Miami or Florida. It's expected that Broward County fans support Miami teams but not the other way around? It's a fascinating the double standard. If Miami fans won't accept a Fort Lauderdale name, screw 'em. Let them stay home and sulk about not having their own team.

And to be honest, I don't think Miami is a good market for MLS. Sorry to be blunt, but there really isn't any historic prescident for it. Everyone drools over all the immigrant population down there are potential supporters (as is the case in many other markets) but it just does not translate in most cases. Have some international matches featuring Central and South American clubs or national sides. They might draw well. But don't expect them to be supporters of a local club. I don't know that Fort Lauderdale is either. I'd be happy with my D2 team if I was there. That's probably all you'll have for some time.

18. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I heard that slip up haha. I did a little dance lol.

19. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, I'm not so sure I'd read a lot into that. He followed up Fort Lauderdale Strikers immediately with "or the Strikers here in South Florida".

20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

but then he said it's the worst kept secret.

21. Viva Miami

Viva Miami Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure but I don't think only SFL soccer fans are allowed to vote.

22. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed - but you're generalizing, when I think the effect is more localized. Listen, I've lived in South Florida nearly all my life, about 37 years. I've seen the changes. IMHO the changing landscape of the ethnicity, and age as well, follows a bit more of a pattern then you're saying. Generally speaking, what I have seen over the years is this - as new people have come into the area, particularly immigrants, they have come more to Miami/Dade then they have to Broward and Palm Beach. Makes sense as Miami is the biggest urban center in the region.

But my point is this - I think it has had a trickle down effect on the rest of the population. I think over time, people have "shifted" northward. Many Dade residents have moved up into Broward, many Broward residents have moved into northern Broward or Palm Beach. I just think the international immigration effect you're referring to is really centralized in Dade.

As to a "big debate" here over the name, umm, no I don't think this is in any way an indicator of public sentiment, for either side. This is a soccer forum, where only a few hardcore fans are talking about the game and our teams. There has actually only been two dissenting voices on the Ft. Lauderdale name outside of the poll results, which show a nearly 7 out of 10 rate FOR the name.

23. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FORT LAUDERDALE STRIKERS
    Bring Back The Rivalry
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R5LFmGI7ew"]YouTube - NASL: Tampa Bay Rowdies at Ft. Lauderdale Strikers 8/20/1978[/ame]
    Bring Back The Superstars
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8wGN5uDaVg&NR=1&feature=fvwp"]YouTube - George Best: Greatest NASL Goal Ever[/ame]​

24. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Renaming rumors were discussed Saturday. More of substance to follow, I'm sure...:)

25. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States