Strikers Rebrand: Name Poll

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by drSoFlaFan, Aug 29, 2010.

1. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we all know Miami FC is becoming the Strikers next season. A hot topic among MFC fans right now is what exactly they should call themselves. I'm curious what the BS crowd, Miami fans and everyone else alike, thinks. Should they go with Fort Lauderdale Strikers and go with exactly what has worked in the past, or try a more generic regional name like "South Florida" to try and appeal to a wider area? I've included the 4 most likely choices for the name.

I'm in the camp that wants them to go with Fort Lauderdale Strikers. The Fort Lauderdale name is just as important to the old Strikers brand as the yellow and red hoops and Lockhart Stadium. Besides the history, I think that a name like "South Florida" is just an attempt to appeal to other areas, namely Miami, which had 3.5 years to support the team playing in Miami, and being called Miami. Considering neither of those things will be true moving forward, I doubt a name like "South Florida" would be the thing that finally turns those fans onto the team. All it would do probably hurt support in the Fort Lauderdale area where the team now plays, really defeating the purpose of bringing back the old Strikers name.

Right now I think since overall support or the team is about 50/50 between Miami-Dade and Broward Counties, local opinions about the name will probably fall along the same lines. But the point of the rebrand is to bring new interest and fans to the club, and without going all out with the Fort Lauderdale Strikers, your not going to see more people in Fort Lauderdale, who will be the majority who actually go to games, jump in and start supporting the team.

Anyway, enough of what I think, have it it.

2. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be the easiest answer ever. Ft. Lauderdale Strikers. Second choice would be S. Florida Strikers.

Hopefully they don't stupidly call them the Miami Strikers. After the disaster that was the throwback shirts recently, I'd not be surprised if they did.

3. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said it before. They will bungle it and go with South Florida Strikers in an attempt to be more inclusive. It should be Fort Lauderdale Strikers. It's a no-brainer.

4. ReasonableDoubt

ReasonableDoubt New Member

May 16, 2010
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make it the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers. Making them the Miami Strikers, South Florida Strikers, or whatever else will turn more people off than on. If you're going to capitalize on nostalgia and tradition, then do it properly. Half-assing it helps absolutely no one in this situation.

5. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ft. Lauderdale Strikers has history. enough said.:D

6. freaknik

freaknik New Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Lauderdale Lakes
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  7. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been a Fort Lauderdale native all my life, with the family moving down here in the 50s. My uncles and father grew up watching the strikers and being huge fans so I really look forward to this. I both cannot wait to tell him about the name switch, and I also look forward to watching them play when I can. I say Fort Lauderdale Strikers by a long shot, for the history and civic pride. Surely Miami could support its own football club? These are two humongous municipal areas with strong youth soccer leagues. Lockhart is in the middle, if not northern edge of Fort Lauderdale. Give Miami a team down in Kendall, or Gables, I'm sure it would do incredibly well.

8. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge props for the name change into Ft Lauderdale Strikers. I love the transition.

I wish the best for the organization.

9. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im from Miami amd I say name it ft. lauderdale strikers let them market to a city like ft. lauderdale when MLS comes around though it has to go to Miami though... But Ft.laudy daudy strikers im down for it, jst want yall to have a team, ill stick to my Atletico Junior de Barranquilla

10. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes im all for this, a team for Miami and another team for ft laudy daudy strikers for browardinians

11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    fort lauderdale strikers

12. Tonybhoy cfc

Tonybhoy cfc New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Personally I think Strikers on the end of a football clubs name is stupid but that's just my opinion (at least its not Dolphins), Miami FC is a better name.

13. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC is not American. I would prefer SC (Soccer Club). But Ft Lauderdale has a lot of history with the name Strikers.

Hopefully FLS will not have FC at the end of their team name.

14. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the brilliant demonstration of ignorance of sports in the USA. Do the Boston Celtics or New York Rangers also appear stupid to you?

15. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if the team drew no fans in Miami and is now playing in Fort Lauderdale.

16. Tonybhoy cfc

Tonybhoy cfc New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    No they don't although anything with Rangers in it will always seem wrong and stupid to me. It was not an attack on American Soccer as I have been one of the ones in Europe who thinks the USA is going in the right direction and being a massive NFL fan I like the set up it deploys in the MLS (different and a few things need tweaked but apart from that I like it), I just personally feel and its my OPINION that Strikers is a daft name at the end of a Soccer team.

17. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How 'bout Ft Lauderdale (or whatever) Strikers FC. Does that make more sense to you? Over here "FC" is ridiculous to all except those of us that love the game it refers to. Everyone else considers it pretentious. Or baffling.

Thanks for the kind words about soccer in the USA. Hopefully it will make the big 4 sports here (American football in all it's permutations, Basketball, Baseball and Ice Hockey) make room for Association Football as it becomes a part of the big 5 sports...;)

Your worst mistake was including Dolphins in your ill conceived post. After last night any disrespect to them will probably get an unfavorable reaction in South Florida.

And, for the record, The NY Rangers are my least liked NHL team. They are, after all, from NYC. Any team from there can't be well liked here.

Hope to see you at Lockhart some day. Free beer for strangers that act human. Even those from Tampa. Or Glasgow...:eek:

18. Tonybhoy cfc

Tonybhoy cfc New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Glasgow
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Maybe I shouldn't have included the Dolphins in my post, I did stay up to watch the Game this morning over here as I have the Jets as my defence in my Fantasy team.

Ft. Lauderdale Celtic may be the way to go...........but that's just my Biased opinion lol :cool:

19. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    The only FC in South Florida is the Dolphins, unless you count UM and the other college teams.

20. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Nah, Strikers is it. It's an American thing; you wouldn't understand.

I think we need a team called the insert color here Sox. :D

21. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hear this, Lucho. Personally, I'll miss you. Despite it all, you're a good guy. I'm still baffled by the attitude that you nice folks in Miami have about this naming.

If MLS does come back here it has to be The Strikers they'll chose, no matter the city/area name they decide to use (rumor has it that Ft Lauderdale is not a lock - South Florida may have the inside track), located in the center of the urban area, Broward County. If this drives the folks from Miami away, that's regrettable, but it is your loss. No one else suffers but y'all.

However, maybe if the what'sitsname Strikers do succeed some of you will come to see them play. Maybe...;)

22. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea dont count me completely out, I wouldnt mind seeing some games in different colors and if the attendance does get larger, im sure the crowd experience will get better and I will definitely go to a match or two, ill probably even go if they are a better team, I mean besides the fact Miami had no marketing they never had a fierce, play-off bound team, with offensive powerhouse and exciting games...

Ill see you around antique, ill take some yellow and red streamers when I head out there... I actually cant wait till this change goes through, I want ft. lauderdale to get a team, I believe with a smaller target area for a team the larger the crowd will get... helping us (all of us) to get a step closer to MLS...

23. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one calls those teams "Football Clubs", get serious.

American soccer has just as much right to the word "football" as any other football code in this country, gridiron football included. Since gridiron football isn't even using FC I don't see what the problem is. You can't complain about soccer using the initials FC in this country when gridiron football isn't using it. That's just silly.

24. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something interesting I stumbled on while looking up LeBron's fresh new Marlins-teal kicks... this sneaker website has clearly stolen the Strikers' old font for their logo:

[​IMG]

25. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, good ol' Candice font.