Strikers are back in 2011

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by pb9000, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Exactly. Credit where credit is due. Hell the Rowdies are averaging more than double the fans as Miami FC I think, and they are playnig on a field where a good quarter of it is a baseball infield! The Rowdies rebirth is working. The Strikers can too, if Traffic gets the word out in South Florida. Strikers vs. Rowdies will help both clubs, and by proxy will help the league.

Look, the Blues are in last place in the league, they're going nowhere this year most likely. But if Traffic wants to turn a corner and become one of the stronger organizations in D2 soccer next year, they have a golden opportunity playing out in front of them. Make sure there are pictures taken at the Rochester game on the 21st to use for some advertising. Make the right choice on the rebrand - Ft. Lauderdale Strikers playing at Lockhart in the NASL in 2011. Make the announcement sooner rather than later. Try and build on that to get more people to come see your product this year before the season is over, and create some anticipation for next year while re-introducing fans to Lockhart and pro soccer in South Florida.

2. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the most part yes, except for that god-awful crest. The whole mess involving the Rowdies name and merchandising wasn't really their fault.

Regarding the Strikers' hoops, if my memory serves the Strikers were the only NASL club to wear hoops. (Oh wait, Team America did for one season, but who even remembers they existed?) Of course there are others that do now, but it was distinctive to Fort Lauderdale at the time. To not bring them back would be a mistake. Maybe not a huge one, but a mistake nonetheless.

3. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think American soccer fans identify with a team crest nearly as much as they do with the uniforms. This benig the case, the butt-ugly Tampa FC crest isn't really a major issue. LOL

I agree 100% that the uniforms are what needs to be approached with great care. The Ft. Lauderdale Strikers kits are one of the most, if not the most recognizable in the history of American pro soccer. I haven't heard specifics, but I assume the ones being worn in Rochester on August 21 are faithful to the originals. Traffic must have already had them made, a great idea for that Strikers 2011 web page would be to show us some images.

I still say the announcement for next year's rebrand should come sooner rather than later. I think they have a perfect opportunity for the home game against the Rowdies on the 14th to make the announcement. That might be the only way to maintain some interest for the remainder of the season as we are now squarely in the basement in the league standings.

4. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe they will be doing the majority of the official "unveiling" of the new Strikers either before or after the final home game this year on October 2nd. That probably means revealing the full name, crest, and maybe uniforms.

Announcing everything now kinda makes Miami FC a lame duck product for the rest of the year, which I think has kept some Ft. Lauderdale based soccer fans away this season. "Why go now when the STRIKERS are coming back next year?" Doing things a little at a time and saving the big stuff gives fans more incentive to come out this season.

5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    +1, the 2010 season is TOO LATE to promote the Miami FC brand and TOO EARLY to promote the Fort Lauderdale Strikers brand, so yes, the lame duck
    syndrome

6. Titanole

Titanole Member

Nashville SC
    United States
    Feb 15, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sitting at the bottom of the table doesn't help attendance much either. I hope the Striker Likers aren't expecting Ray and Gerd and Nene and Jan to take the field next season. It's just going to be the same team with a new name.

What gives me hope that Miami FC/Strikers may get the kits right is the logo for their Strikers 2011 web page. The 2011 is wearing hoops! But for some reason I still have this uneasy feeling that it won't be Fort Lauderdale Strikers.

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

This would totally suck, no one will accept the Traffic Strikers (lol)

8. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The uniforms will 100% be red and yellow hoops. The road/alternate kit may not be the same as it was back in the old days, and the name might not be Fort Lauderdale, but the hoops will be back for sure.

9. freaknik

freaknik New Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Lauderdale Lakes
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Even Miami FC isnt the same players after the end of the season... The strikers will be different players

10. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Love your first statement, not so much your second. LOL Seriously though, it would exceptionally stupid to bring back the original Strikers kits and not call the team the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers. You'd totally be defeating the purpose of reincarnating the brand. What, you're going to do it just halfway and hope that's enough? Just dumb. They need to get the kits AND the name right, or they should't bother with either.

That said, if they want to add a new wrinkle, go ahead and tinker with the away kits. They obviously aren't the holy grail the home ones are!

By the by, I noticed on the Strikers 2011 Facebook page that local sports radio personality, the Big O, has the page "liked." Crap, I don't even know if that's the right way to say it. LOL Anyway, I'm usually at work while Big O is on the air, but has anyone ever heard him put out the word on the air about Miami FC or even better yet, about the upcoming rebrand to the Strikers? That's the kind of thing this team needs desperately. We need to top 2,000 for the Rowdies game next month. These feeble attendance figures are puke inducing.....

11. freaknik

freaknik New Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Lauderdale Lakes
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    he does announcing at our games if im not mistaken...

12. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's great, but he'd be a MUCH bigger help by just taking 15 seconds each day to mention the team and the games the week leading up to them. His show is exactly the kind of place the team, and more importantly the rebrand to Strikers needs to be. I know he's a South Florida guy, and I'd suspect he must have gone to watch the Strikers at Lockhart as a kid. Someone get in his ear!!!

13. freaknik

freaknik New Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Lauderdale Lakes
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He used to talk about miami FC A LOT but hes kinda shyed away from it because we kept sucking and people lost interest. Traffic needs to spend some SERIOUS cash to bring the team back out of the basement. There are some big speculations happening for next season and some for this to make a run for the playoffs, It all depends on if traffic is REALLY gonna open their wallet or not.