Strikers 2011/12 Offseason All Purpose Thread

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by drSoFlaFan, Oct 30, 2011.

1. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haven't seen it posted anywhere, so I'll leave it here:

Looks like Laing might be getting a pre-season invite to Columbus Crew camp.

2. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep FIU/Dade is out of the question for this team. They're never going back there. After the huge rise in support, press and general goodwill they've gotten by becoming the Fort Lauderdale Strikers, it would make no sense to go back to Dade, especially as far South as FIU which right now is the only suitable stadium for a D2 team down there.

WEST Broward? Maybe back when the original Strikers played that was west Broward lol. Location wise the cricket stadium is probably the best option of all, even including Lockhart. Less than 5 minutes from both the Turnpike and I-95, and pretty much smack dab in the middle of the metro area.

Hopefully they can stay at Lockhart, but I have no real problem with either the cricket stadium or FAU. Both have pros and cons but in the end I think both are acceptable spots.

3. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You mock me because I'm older than you. LOL I've always been a Central/North Broward resident, so to me, Coral Springs is West Broward. LOL Weston is like the boondocks or something LOL, so yeah, Sunrise (isn't that where the Cricket Stadium is?) is west to me. The times he's been asked about it, yuo can just hear in Tim Robbie's voice that the Cricket Stadium is not really an option by his way of thinking.

The biggest criticsim I can think of for the brand new FAU stadium would be that it's further north, and that could deter some Dade fans. Well, outside of Uncle Ed, and I think Antique (right?) people aren't exactly coming en masse to Strikers games from Dade. I mean, that's the whole reason Traffic moved this team to Lockhart and renamed is right? With success like they never had before I might add. From Commercial to Glades on 95 or the Turnpike isn't but another 10 - 15 minutes, so no big deal really. What I find much more interesting is the long term stadium situation. I'm going to go revive that Schlitterbahn thread again and post some comments about some stuff I've heard around town.....

4. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I attended the Ultra's meeting at Ed's home the other night. He lives way down there & out there - South of Bird Rd & West of the Turnpike.

I live in Davie. Almost in Weston...:eek:...That's a few miles north of Miami-Dade. And a few miles west of you.

We actually had more folks from Broward County at that meeting than Miami-Dade residents. But, we picked up a few fine young men from there that showed a strong interest in the Strikers & the Ultras. With luck we may just make this thing work in all 3 counties.

It also seemed that the alternate to Lockhart may not be FAU. It may be somewhere else.

5. Heggis27

Heggis27 Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.139959,-80.198689&spn=0.01,0.01&t=m&q=26.139959,-80.198689

The cricket stadium is at 441 and Sunrise, in the Central Broward Regional Park. It's probably as close to the center point of the inhabited area of Broward as possible.

Coral Springs, Sunrise and Weston are all west Broward...unless you want to get technical and insist the entire western portion of the county is taken up by the Everglades...but it's at the road, not in the city.

My biggest criticism of FAU is the stadium's size. It's tough enough averaging around 5k in a 20k stadium; doing it in a 30k has to be depressing.

I've never been in the Cricket stadium to this point, but I'd like to give it a try if needed. I have to think the rent would be cheaper than at FAU....and if nothing else, sales tax is cheaper in Broward.

6. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Glad to hear the Ultras (and hopefully Flight 19 as well!) are growing. I have my season seats right on the center line and I sit with my family, so I've never really ventured over into your area, but I definitely appreciate the atmosphere you guys bring to the game. I love it when you guys come over to the reserved section and get the crowd going too, my kids love to yell STRIKERS! LOL Your tifo was teriffic last year, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with this year too!

So, can you say more about this "somewhere else" alternate to Lockhart would be? Was it double super triple secret type info? LOL With the season opener less than three months away, you'd have to think plans are pretty much finalized at this point. As I mentioned before, I've heard some talk about the possible future situation at Lockhart/Ft. Lauderdale Stadium, so I'll go over now and post it in that Schlitterbahn thread and we'll see if anyone wants to discuss further. ;)

8. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think of a flat bat swinging at a bounced ball...;)

9. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I follow you, I'm just surprised if that's now become the front runner for the alternate site plan. The interviews I've seen and heard where Tim Robbie has been asked about this situation, he's seemed very disinterested in the cricket stadium. So unless the FAU situation would be very financially damaging to the club, I don't see why they'd shift their focus. But perhaps this is the case.

I'm getting a little anxious about the fact that all of the other NASL teams seem to be making a lot of player moves, while the Strikers have done very little so far. If we have to start our season playing guys like Morales, Quinones, and Pecka, I think we're in big trouble. We need to start hearing some more news! I'm dying for my Strikers fix! Come on, something, anything! LOL