Pre-match: Strikeforce: Nashville on CBS :: Nashville, TN :: 4/17 [R]

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Bison1997, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

So yeah, CBS is giving Strikeforce another shot. Hope they put on a good show.

LIVE FIGHTS
    Middleweight Title Fight: Jake Shields (c) vs. Dan Henderson
    Light Heavyweight Title Fight: Gegard Mousasi (c) vs. Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal
    Lightweight Title Fight: Gilbert Melendez (c) vs. Shinya Aoki

TAPED FIGHTS
    Jason "Mayhem" Miller vs. Tim Stout
    Zach Underwood vs. Hunter Worsham
    Josh Schockman vs. Cale Yarbrough
    Dustin Ortiz vs. Justin Pennington
    Andrew Uhrich vs. Dustin West
    Chris Hawk vs. Ovince St. Preux
    Thomas Campbell vs. Cody Floyd

-- This is the last fight on Shields' contact and he's on Chuck Liddell's coaching team on TUF11. If he wanted to go to UFC after this fight, he's in a good position to do so.

-- If they want to get fighters over with the crowd/TV viewers - and they'd better want to - they really need to show King Mo and Miller's ring entrances. Straight out of Pride.

-- I hope Melendez wins. I like him as a fighter, and Aoki was a jackass on NYE.

2. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Just to lend a helping hand, here's a video...
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wapgu5ocyFA]Strikeforce: Nashville[/ame]
    BTW, Bobby Lashley was suppose to be on this card, but dropped due to a Nasal Surgery. Rumors are he will fight on May 15th @ Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery in St. Louis, MO.

3. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last few Strikeforce cards have all been good. With the three title matches all of them look to be entertaining fights.

Go Hendo! Shields can conveniently lose the title and go to UFC afterward. Which he never meant to be in Strikeforce anyway after EliteXC folded, so the power to him, and Dana needs someone to throw at Anderson Silva anyway.

Mousasi is leaps and bounds better right?

Aoki has to be happy B.J. Penn lost.

If any of the title fights go short, supposedly Miller is going on.

4. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    --I believe Scott Coker said that they have an option to another Shields fight after this one, and that he plans on exercising it.

--I think Mayhem did a variation of his Dream entrance with the Japanese school girls when he fought against Shields.

--While I do like Melendez, I honestly don't see what he brings to the table that Eddie Alvarez doesn't.

5. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Be careful for what you wish for. I believe Shields stand-up is about the same as Maia. Also Shields is a light Middleweight. I believe he would be better for the 170lbs weight class, so he might be a target for GSP.

True, Mousasi is the real deal. I hear he trains w/ Fedor. However this is King Mo's breakout fight. He always fights heavyweights. So this will be a test for Mousasi too. Great match-up!!!

He still couldn't beat BJ. Aoki doesn't want any parts of the UFC. Just look at what happened to Gomi & Caol Uno. :eek:

6. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    King of The Cage on Friday was so much better. Epic Fail IMHO. Fights all going to the judges scorecard? And that little brawl in the end might appeal to toothless WWE type of folks, but for the interviewer to say that this stuff happens on occasion in MMA? Countdown to Strikeforce's end on CBS.

7. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    When you get two opponents that can nullify each other skills, that is what you get. I don't see nothing wrong w/ that. Not every fight is going to produce a ko or a tapout. Especially when the fighters are top of the food chain.

8. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmm true in some respects, I mean, I've seen my share of kick-ass ground matches (Dream comes to mind) that were transition delights. But IMHO to be top of the food chain, one has to recognize that okay, this guy is negating my skills, what do I have to do outside the box that will take me above and beyond this guy, even finish him? Those type of fighters to mean bring more substance and for the casual fan may be more exciting because they have a higher rate of finishing a fight.

9. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Well Dana still wants Shields. He was more impressed that he beat Hendo.