Stretch run 2019

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Cherry Hill SOB, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Going into the final weeks of the 2019 season and Atlanta just bumped the Union from first place. NYCFC are ahead on mpg as well. What are your predictions for where the Union end the season? I'm thinking they go 2 - 3 - 2 down the stretch and end up in 3rd place and win their first playoff game to crash in round 2.

Thoughts?

2. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the start of July I tried my best to map out the Union's final 13 matches.
    Through the first 6, I had picked them to go 3-1-2 with 11 points, and they ended up 3-3-0 for 9 points.

Here is what I think for the rest of the year (original thought vs. adjustments).

vs. DCU - Originally Draw (Updated to Win) - DCU was playing much better when I originally looked at this. This is now a win.

vs. ATL - Originally expected a loss, and I still think so. - Yes we are at home, but Atlanta is just clicking 100% right now, and I don't think we can withstand them at their best.

vs. LAFC - Originally expected a loss, and I still think so. - LAFC has had a few bumps lately, but they still outclass us at every corner. It's possible we get a draw due to the Coast-to-Coast travel lag, along with them already clinching a playoff spot, but that's about all I think we hope for.

@ RBNY - Originally expected a draw, and I stand by that. - We always play them tight, but they've started to play a bit better. Having to go to their stadium doesn't help matters, but a point is a must here, and I think the Union go all out for it.

@ SJ - Originally expected a draw, sticking with that. - I'm tempted to change this to a loss. San Jose looks sharp, and we have to go all the way out there for this match. I wouldn't be surprised if we left with nothing, but there is a good chance we are collecting so few points in the matches prior to this one, we cannot play defensive here.

@ CLB - Originally expected a win, still think so. - Columbus is a wreck, and they have nothing to play for this late in the season. Even in their own house they'll put up little resistance, and the Union can finally be certain to get 3 points.

vs. NYCFC - Originally expected a draw, still think so. - NYCFC may still be in the hunt for the #1 spot so they're not going to come in to kick the ball around if they have a chance for a 1st round bye. We, on the other hand, may be trying to just hang on for a home playoff spot (as crazy as that sounds). In any event, both teams come out to play and we get a point.

So, all total, an ugly looking 2-2-3 for 9 points to end the season. Boy am I hoping I'm way off on that!

cwelch999 and Cherry Hill SOB repped this.
  3. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Disappointed I'll be away for the NYRB game, since that is my backyard now. I'll be happy with 9 points - 3 wins - from the rest. Going back 10 games over a much easier schedule they have lost as many as they've won. Aside from the DC win I can't remember when I last enjoyed watching a game, win or lose.

4. cwelch999

cwelch999 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, that Chicago game was a real lost opportunity, huh?

Phillyspur repped this.
  5. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Playoff and MLS cup stats from 538.com as of 8/20...Union at 6% to win it all.o_O

MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER

2019 season
    END-OF-SEASON PROBABILITIES
    TEAM

SPI
    MAKE PLAYOFFS/WIN MLS CUP
    [​IMG]
    LAFC58 pts
    >99% 54%
    [​IMG]
    Atlanta45 pts
    >99% 13%
    [​IMG]
    NYCFC41 pts
    >99% 12%
    [​IMG]
    Philadelphia45 pts
    >99% 6%
    [​IMG]
    Portland37 pts
    91% 3%
    [​IMG]
    Seattle40 pts
    87% 2%
    [​IMG]
    Real Salt Lake40 pts
    93% 2%
    [​IMG]
    NY Red Bulls38 pts
    92% 2%
    [​IMG]
    LA Galaxy41 pts
    91% 2%
    [​IMG]
    Minnesota42 pts
    82% 1%

6. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    [​IMG]
    San Jose38 pts
    72% 1%
    [​IMG]
    FC Dallas37 pts
    62% <1%
    [​IMG]
    Toronto FC34 pts
    54% <1%
    [​IMG]
    New England35 pts
    50% <1%
    [​IMG]
    Sporting KC31 pts
    19% <1%
    [​IMG]
    Montreal34 pts
    63% <1%
    [​IMG]
    D.C. United39 pts
    79% <1%
    [​IMG]
    Chicago33 pts
    22% <1%
    [​IMG]
    Orlando City34 pts
    40% <1%
    [​IMG]
    Columbus27 pts
    1% <1%

7. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  8. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Just to have it all in one place:

as of 9/15 9am

1. NYCFC 57pts
    @Dallas, Atlanta, @NE, @Philly

2. Union 52pts
    @nyrb, @SJ, @Columbus, NYCFC

3. Atlanta 48pts (*5games left)
    @Cinncy, SJ, @NYCFC, @Montreal, NE

4. Toronto 42pts
    Colorado, @LAFC, @chicago, Columbus

5. DC 42pts
    @Portland, Seattle, @nyrb, Cinncy

6. NYRB 41pts (*5 games left)
    @seattle, @Portland, Philly, DC, @Montreal

7. NER 40pts
    RSL, @Portland, NYCFC, @atlanta

Big questions are if we can catch NYC and stay ahead of Atlanta. With TFC and DC's recent run of form I think we are clear of them. NYRB has 2 west coast games in a row right before they come back to play us so next weekend will be big.

sentrido, cwelch999 and Union42 repped this.
  9. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adding to this...the race for the 4 CCL spots:

1. ATL is in (USOC Winner)
    2. LAFC is in (Western Conference winner)
    3. NYC should get in by winning the East (assuming PHL doesn't leap frog them).
    4. The last spot goes to the MLS Cup winner, unless one of the teams above wins the cup, in which case it will be the team with the most points in the overall standings that hasn't qualified by another method.

The means the paths to the CCL for the Union are to:
    A. Win MLS Cup
    B. Leapfrog NYC & stay ahead of ATL to win the east.
    C. Hope that one of LAFC/ATL/NYC win MLS Cup AND stay ahead of RSL & SEA in the table (each is currently 6 points back of PHL but have 5 games remaining).

A. is the only method by which we control our own destiny, but if I'm being honest, C is the most likely scenario. Either way, I like our chances if we take care of our business to finish the regular season.

sentrido, cwelch999 and Cherry Hill SOB repped this.
  10. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  11. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to NYCFC not getting all 9 points in their games this past week, and the Union getting a well-deserved draw with LA. My (not so) highly regarded algorithm has pushed the Union from finishing 3rd to 1st, edging out NYCFC by 1 point on the final day.

Let's go!!!!

cwelch999 and sentrido repped this.
  12. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS.html

10% chance of finishing 1st
    50% chance of finishing 2nd
    38% chance of finishing 3rd
    1% chance of finishing 4th
    1% chance this now adds up to 100%.

Anything worse than 3-0-1 means it is more likely than not that the Union will not finish in first.

lopezzzz and sentrido repped this.
  13. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't tell the front office, but playoff tickets are crazy inexpensive. . .

If anyone here is not not buying a "playoff strip" of your season tickets, please DM me.

slitz repped this.
  14. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's so nice to be into these last few games because of the possible impact on our success and not the possible impact of not making the playoffs at all. I think home field is important for all three teams at the top of the heap in the east and wherever we end up keeping the pressure on and not letting them rest their best players is important as well.

15. SOBtilIdie

SOBtilIdie Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly as much as winning the east would be great it likely won't happen.

2nd will do just fine. Especially if we take care of business we would host the 2nd round and depending on results could host the third round assuming we get there.

They just need to get some results over the next 3 games to make sure we stay in the 2nd spot.

16. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I emailed my ticket rep and he added additional playoff strips to my account already.

mattylip repped this.
  17. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The crap typical MLS thing about the playoffs is that the 2nd and 3rd rounds are going to be on random weekdays. The 2nd round is either Wednesday or Thursday. Conference finals on either Tuesday or Wednesday. That's going to kill attendance in those two rounds if the game is in Chester. And if the conference finals are in NY and, soccer gods willing, the Union make it, there is no way in hell I can get off work with 3 days' notice from the previous round to go up and attend in person. Who comes up with this stupidity?

[​IMG]

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/08/28/mls-announces-schedule-audi-2019-mls-cup-playoffs

cwelch999 repped this.
  18. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What better way to maximize playoff attendance than putting the games on weeknights? Nothing better than kicking off in a stadium where everyone is still trying to get to the parking lot!

19. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLB playoff schedule:
    LCS games 6&7: 10/19 & 10/20
    WS game 2: 10/23
    WS game 6: 10/29
    WS game 7: 10/30

For perhaps the first time in my entire life, I'm actually hoping for the Yankees to have a deep postseason run just so NYCFC can't play in their playoff games on that joke of a field.

sentrido repped this.
  20. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They arent getting on national TV on a Saturday. I imagine that drives a good portion of the decision.

Midweek didn't hurt attendance for 2 Open Cup Finals in Chester

cwelch999 repped this.
  21. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and no...the crowds were some of the loudest and most energized I've ever experienced for a Union home game, but they were far from being sellouts...and they had a full month to advertise the game. Per Wikipedia:

2014 vs Seattle: 15,256
    2015 vs SKC: 14,463

cwelch999 repped this.
  22. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently LAFC clinched a home playoff game for the Union over the weekend with their draw against Toronto, in spite of our pathetic performance against Red Bull. That's so Union!

cwelch999 repped this.
  23. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theres an article about Yankee stadium possibly not being able to host the playoffs. Their top substitute? Shea Stadium. Lmfao.

cwelch999 repped this.
  24. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 Union42, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    The won one of their last 5 games to end the season...4 of a possible 15 points for 0.8 ppg. They have done nothing since the LAFC game to suggest they won't be one and done in the playoffs and would have any business playing in the Champions League next year.

25. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 celt1997, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Well, they ended 3-3-1 in that stretch for 10 points. I was off on the numbers, but I'm going to say calling it "ugly looking" was correct.

ETA: On a side note, I started tracking/predicting/computing results back around the 4th of July. My original final standings when running through all matches was:

1) NYCFC
    2) Atlanta
    3) Philadelphia
    4) Montreal
    5) DC United
    6) Red Bulls
    7) Toronto

Not too shabby - all but #4 & #7 were correct. Definitely didn't see Montreal crapping out the way they did, though.