Street Wise

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Cantona's Eyebrow, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Any one got any good methods of coaching teams to be more street wise. For example, striker's backing onto central defender's toes and spinning off, defender's studs on striker's achilles to slow them down, or finding good ways to get inside opponent's heads etc etc

Thank you so much.

2. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    A thumb in the crack gets guys off their game quickly.

Cantona's Eyebrow repped this.
  3. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    You want to COACH kids on how to do these kinds of things? I'm sorry, but if you were part of a club my kids were playing in, I'd be asking the club to get rid of you. That's not what I want the coaches teaching. How about working on non-dominant foot? Learning to read defenses and split defenders? "Possession" soccer? How to put shots on target? Speed of play?

A prime example IMO of what's wrong with youth sports and "win at all costs".

4. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He’s just trolling us…trying to get a raise out of us…probably to validate some f’ed up preconceived notion that “we” are just a bunch of soft pussies who don’t really understand “real” soccer, the way he, a real man, does…

5. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Great advice :thumbsup:

Of course not. o_O

It's too late by then. This type of mindset needs to be ingrained from the Soccer Tots / Little Kickers stage, so definately pre-school. Only then do you see the real benefit behind this type of conditioning and the harmful effect it has on opposition players' performance. A joy to watch.

Don't know about you guys, but a real hunger to win at all costs is a fabulous mentality to breed in an impressionable mind. That's why we coach right? :)

6. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Do you mean soft vaginas?

7. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Troll or not I've seen my kids get pounded by teams who are "creatively aggressive". For what's worth, these teams could back that up with some really beautiful play.

Of course there have been occassions where that's not the case.

Regardless a good coach develops the talent first and if confidence breeds cockiness (sp), then so be it. I know from my playing experience - as well as mates who were good players, we were all cocky and would push that limit. We were quick with a return, witty and so on. I think a lot of that came from the sport and is one of the reasons I put my kids in soccer.

But again - if you don't have the talent - you just end up looking like an asshole.

8. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #9 mwulf67, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2019
    I think there is a big difference between being a little cocky or even being a bit of smart ass, and being a dirty, cheap-shot player…which is what the OP thinks kids should be taught/conditioned to be…

9. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #10 VolklP19, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2019
    Don't disagree at all. At the end of the day what I'd rather see is my player/kid extend a hand to help an opponent up with a nice pat on the back.

sam_gordon repped this.
  10. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    I know a lot of you don't necessarily agree with some of my coaching philosophies, however, as your kids move through the age groups it's important they develop a winning mentality and can physically (and emotionally) take care of themselves on the pitch. Mind games can help.

End of the day, I'm putting out my wisdom (accrued through decades of playing and coaching to an accomplished standard) for free. It's no skin off my nose if you don't want to use this knowledge :thumbsup:, but don't come crying to me when little johnny doesn't make the grade.

11. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We occasionally come up against teams that are clearly coached to play dirty and/or cheap (as we did this weekend)…. sometimes we lose, often times we win (as we also did this weekend) …quite frankly, their dirty/cheap play doesn’t really affect the outcome much…it only really affects the reputation of the kids, coach, team/club involved….

Kids are going to be as tough as they are with or without your particular brand of wisdom…

12. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Sometimes when you post it reminds me of a coach from Cadence FC near Joliet.

13. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    That is complete nonsense.

Any kid can be toughened up provided you pay them the right kind of attention :sneaky:

14. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Get over yourself already…you get these kids for a couple hours a week, mostly I assume, practicing and running drills…you know, soccer stuff…

I don’t care how much machismo you think oozes out your pores, you’re not going to turn these kids into mini versions of yourself no matter what kind of “attention” you give them…

Already “tough” kids may respond positively to your methods because they are more inclined to do so; while less “tough” kids will simply endure/ignore your bullshit until they move on to their next coach…

Good or bad, your just one coach in a long line of coaches these kids will briefly spend time with…I’ll guess for most, that time can’t end soon enough…

15. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son is a u13 keeper and we've discussed ways to play some mind games on penalty kicks. He'll walk up to spot and dig it up a bit while making eye contact with the ref. He'll also try an talk to the shooter. It's not that I want him to be a dirty player but I want to remove the naivety from his game.

I also taught his older brother, who was a striker, how to go down on any contact in and around the box and why that was important. Learning how to grab an opponent's jersey on the opposite side of the ref and AR is something he picked up and used effectively at times.

The dark arts are important to learn. They need to be one of many tools in a player's toolkit.

Cantona's Eyebrow repped this.
  16. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Here's my point... I don't think the COACH should be the one to teach these. Will they pick them up? I'm sure. But just like I don't want a school teacher to show how to cheat on a test, I don't want a coach to show how to get away with breaking the rules.

And yes, what is being suggested as being taught is against the rules. Don't think so? Would you tell your player to do it in full view of the ref?

bigredfutbol and mwulf67 repped this.
  17. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Hit the nail on the head.

I want my players to be street wise and hard as nails on the pitch; gentleman off it.

18. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    What's with the constant personal attacks?

19. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Once again, there is a big different between being/playing tough and being/playing dirty….what you described in you OP (as well as others), is playing dirty.

Playing tough is making a clean slide tackle that takes out both ball and player; giving and taking hard shoulder challenges like they are nothing, challenging for balls in the air even if it mean banging heads, throwing your body in front of a hard shot, even if it means taking it in the face or nuts…along with many other examples…

Playing tough is coming off the field, muddy, bloody and bruised, and being proud of all three…

If I am busting you nuts, it’s because you present yourself as someone who should know the damn difference…

20. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I get wanting them to be street wise. But how about teaching them to DEFEND against the "dirty play" instead of teaching them how to play dirty?

I agree with wolf... "hard as nails" means being tough, not being pushed around, making clean tackles, just "going hard".

21. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    There is no psychological advantage to defending yourself. I'd coach to gain the upper hand.

Raising a hand for every decision, only stopping for the ref's whistle, being tough in the tackle and winning the psychological battle against an opponent are all necessary to achieve the highest levels in youth soccer.

Don't get me wrong a bounce game in the park with your mates is a different matter, but players competing at the highest level need an edge and every possible advantage.

Instead of "busting my nuts", maybe you could respect the opinion of someone who presents a different viewpoint to yourself. Or are you one of these people who has the answer to everything and just gets abusive when someone doesn't share your views. Oh, and thanks for the lecture on what it means to play tough on the football field :)

22. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Maybe not, but there's a physical advantage... it's not to give yourself an advantage, it's to keep your opponent from getting an advantage.

I don't want my kids' coaches teaching my child how to cheat. That simple. They'll learn how on their own.

23. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What’s the highest level? Rather a large gray gap between highest level and playing pickup in the park…

I would normally say, no offence, but that boat has probably already sailed, but using the mantra of “highest level” to justify or sell something, I think to a lot of seasoned soccer parents it comes off as bullshit…all kids are different, lots of pathways to success or the next level, no single right way or method to do it…when people, especially so-called experts, over-sell their method, like I say, it often comes off a self-serving BS….

Not every player at the highest level plays like Diego Costa, who seems like the posterchild for the philosophy you preach…I might even say, very few players, actually play like Costa…

Once again, give me a break…you come in there all sound and fury, quite frankly, looking to push buttons imho, and a little push back, and you roll over and play the victim card…I respect your right to have your opinions and to even share them, but that’s not a blank check for them to unchallenged…perhaps this illustrates the difference between being tough and being coached to act tough…

No lecture intended, just pointing out the difference between playing tough and playing dirty, which unfortunately seemed necessary….

24. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    :ROFLMAO: Sorry, I didn't realise I was dealing with a "seasoned soccer parent" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

In the UK, if you're not scouted by the time you are 12, I'd say there is very little chance of going pro. Scouting networks are so far reaching nowadays that kids will rarely slip through the net. So, that would be the highest level for a child in the UK. Hope that clears that up, tough guy. :laugh: