Stop Dragan this Out: The Wenger Succession Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by elessar78, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ramsey is similair for me

What has he done since 13 for us? Both players failed to reach their potential

Fifty repped this.
  2. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Yep but I'll tell you what Ramsey will be better next team he goes to. Wilshire just lost in the sauce

daedalus and thebigman repped this.
  3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's no fault of Ramsey's. His career has been really stop start since then.

4. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Barcelona Game!

FOREVER...

Romfordray, daedalus and DutchCane repped this.
  5. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    this post. so much this post.

DutchCane repped this.
  6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would have no issue with wengers attacking mentality if we had a consistent defensive game plan

We tend to cone up very short vs a press and physical play

We should learn to counter quicker imo but i feel like even under sumpreme pressure out passes are still to short

7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors swirling about Sampaoli. His contract is out this summer (like AW) and his contract negotiations have stalled.

Haven't paid much attention to Sevilla this season or what formation they are running. I think he ran a 4-3-3 with Chile. Or maybe it was 4-4-2? Either way he had both the Chile squad which had few big stars and Sevilla playing quite well. He also stresses a strong defense.

8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Doesn't speak English

9. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't that the same game Koscielny first showed he could be a beast?

antifan repped this.
  10. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #135 chjoak, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Looked up more info on Sampaoli. He runs a 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3 with a false 9.

Realize that he doesn't speak English. That could hurt but we could also work with. Until he learns, you just need to have assistants that speak both English and Spanish. You also likely see an upswing in Spanish speaking players.

Based purely on the current roster, I would project us to look like this in his formation...

-------------- Lucas/OG ----- Alexis ------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------- Ozil --------------------------------
    Nacho/Walcott -- Santi -- Xhaka/Ramsey -- Bellerin
    ---- Gabby/Holding ---- Kos ---- Mustafi ---------------

I kind of like it over all. Think you need a better starter next to Alexis, a better LM/LWB and a better starting LCB.

11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    His contract doesn't run out this summer. He has a very low buyout clause.

The not speaking English thing don't mean much to me. I just think he destined for Barcelona.

DutchCane repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the main issue. Certainly not a deal breaker.

Spurs wouldn't have Pochettino or be where they are now, if it wasn't for Southampton taking a chance on Poch who spoke very little english when he came.

13. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    I think he'd be a good choice. He's been able to make a decent team at Sevilla and as little as I know about tactics, seems to run a real good formation out there.

14. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No way Arsenal hires someone who speaks no English

15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    http://statsbomb.com/2017/02/feb-ma...nager-bertrand-traore-perry-kitchen-and-more/

I thought Conte would be a really interesting change of pace/palate cleanser, but obviously he ended up across London.

I think the most obvious candidate out there is Tuchel. He’s switched on toward analytics and knows that he doesn’t know it all, which means StatDNA’s work should get incorporated reasonably well. Tuchel also brings a combination of attacking style that isn’t a total break from Wenger’s legacy plus he brings a pressing expertise that Arsenal desperately need at this point. The question is how much do they have to re-tool the squad to play his style?

Slightly further off the beaten path is Julian Nagelsmann at Hoffenheim. I think he would need a couple more years of seasoning for Arsenal to make that leap though. Luciano Spalletti has done a great job at Roma since coming back to Italy and would be another interesting candidate with a fun, high tempo attacking style.

Then on the other end of the spectrum you end up with guys like Jorge Sampaoli and Roger Schmidt. VERY different managers stylistically who are bright and have had past success, and might potentially be available under the right circumstances.

I think Arsenal will be fine in the post-Wenger years. They actually have a lot of infrastructure set up behind the scenes that already helps Wenger in various areas, and is ready to completely take over when he decides to move on.

16. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Listening to the Arsenal Post Game match and its a damning indictment of the club in general and I agree with a lot of it

17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Link?

18. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not so sure I agree with this. I think our 'soft' infrastructure is severely lacking because we've relied so heavily on Wenger.

We have basically no football man or true Arsenal man on the board of advisors. The board has simply given Arsenal free reign because they trust him to control the technical side of things 100%.

We don't have any sort of Director of Football who can help our manager in terms of transfers.

We at least have a new director of youth development. That Dutch guy, I forgot his name.

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's a quote of Knutson's opinion, and is not my opinion. He's worked for Brentford, and tried to get Iwobi on loan last season. He's done consulting work for a number of clubs, and while he hasn't stated which clubs he's worked for, I suspect that list includes Arsenal.

That obviously contradicts my opinion that we rely too much on Wenger, but I'm going to defer to someone who's seen Arsenal in a professional capacity.

DutchCane repped this.
  20. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you call yourself a fan?

DutchCane, daedalus and mebeSajid repped this.
  21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Touche.

I do think that there's a ton of guesswork on our end about what the club has behind the scenes, so what Knutson says is a pretty valuable data point.

DutchCane repped this.
  22. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ted is also an Arsenal fan, it should be noted for those who aren't familiar with him.

23. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

John Cross knows fvck all but I actually believe this. He's world class and deserves to play in a competitive team. Ozil although has been poor lately will probably leave for a better club where his true worth will shine. Although I want a new manager, nothing will change when Wenger leaves unless the board/Kroenke actually give a fvck.

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big question is who manages that team.... Wenger or Allegri?

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Allegri

Gunning4Chelsea repped this.