Stop Dragan this Out: The Wenger Succession Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by elessar78, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    And Cody Garbrandt is kind of a dim bulb.

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I don't think this is true in football. Plenty of white players get the "headless chicken" tag - not just black players. I've long said Podolski had all the tactical acumen of a potato, and I'm pretty sure he's white. Makelele, meanwhile, was one of the best tactical players I've ever seen.

daedalus repped this.
  3. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It probably depends on what you're reading. The US soccer media (and bloggers all over the world) is a lot different than the European media.

4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Poldi and Schweini both came across as gaping idiots whenever they opened their mouths

But IMO the tactical awareness of both players was high.

Poldi's main problem was his lack of technical ability on the ball, rather than his ability to get in good positions.

In any event re Lucky - one wonders if he is technically good enough for Chelsea

5. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yeah, i think there's definite ceiling difference.
    kobe bryant. :-D

i think sanchez is amazingly talented and he obviously produces goals. but i would be less sad to see him leave than ozil. not arguing who is "better", just who i would rather watch.

6. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i don't know about european media but it's US sports media in general. hell, we are just barely past quarterbacks being "black quarterbacks" or are automatically considered "running quarterback" simply because they're black.

7. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I thought of him actually, but still it doesn't fit. His attitude of "I'm the straw that stirs the drink" rubbed a lot of teammates and potential teammates the wrong way. And professionally he wasn't the easiest guy to work with. But I can't think of the players he did play with, played worse because they were with Kobe. Unfortunately you can't say that about Alexis and Arsenal.

Arsene Wenger is not Phil Jackson.

daedalus repped this.
  8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    who is this?

9. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He's talking about Lukaku.

10. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree, but the US soccer media is not really a part of that culture. There's very little opinion giving done by mainstream US media about soccer.

daedalus repped this.
  11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Is that really his nickname or did Jitty make it up?

12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    DYAC?

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Podolski knew how to do one thing - stay left, then hit the ball as hard as he could. He had no ability how to play with good teammates, that's why he stuck out so much like a sore thumb with Germany. Look at the difference with Klose, who also wasn't exactly Ronaldo on the ball, but whose positioning was fantastic.

I have no idea how smart or stupid Podolski and Schweinsteiger actually are, but being smart and stupid aren't necessarily the same thing as tactically astute.

And, it's moot - Lukaku's problem is his close control and passing ability; I've seen no evidence he's tactically poor.

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lukaku is not playing in a complex system. Mind u, Chelsea aren't a complex team as they were quite direct and countered quickly. I just don't think lukaku is tha answer when there is a class striker there already

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Our system is vastly more complex than Everton! Conte's not running Sam-ball.

18. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Koeman's a decent enough tactician. I'm sure with time, Everton will be one of the more sophisticated team in the league.

19. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Klose is not really a fair comparison - the triangle of klose, ozil and Mueller was amazing in terms of the spatial awareness and runs those guys would make. Poldi was quite a disciplined player, which is partly why Loew liked him. But I agree he was overall not good enough to be a 9 and lacks tools as a left wing - which is why he succeeded at international level rather than club level. His spatial play is pretty decent though, if you watch the good shooting positions he gets into. He's also much too one footed to be a top club player.

Agreed.

NZ had a player called Mark Carter who was famously so dumb he wore coloured tape on his wrists so he could remember various right and left moves. :ROFLMAO:

Good flanker though.

Agree

That meter long first touch....

20. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  21. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    LOL

DaPrince84 repped this.
  22. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    New fitness coach = deck chairs on the Titanic. Mark my words, think Joe Pa minus the pedophilia enabling, or Bobby Bowden and that will be what Wenger brings as he goes full Mugabe and waits to die on the job. Fun times ahead beloveds, FUN FUHKIN TIMES!!!!

daedalus, cantona94, DaPrince84 and 2 others repped this.
  23. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Auerbach of 4th place

cantona94, DutchCane and Fifty repped this.
  24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did u know nice's opinion counts for every white person that talks about football? I didn't till then

DaPrince84 and DutchCane repped this.
  25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Dutch. You live in NYC, and iirc have gone to multiple Knicks games. I've been a Knicks fan since the Riley years. We both know that you're really describing Phil Jackson.