Stop Dragan this Out: The Wenger Succession Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by elessar78, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep reading these thoughts as an excuse for why we are no longer elite. The truth of the matter is that it was the board's, Wenger and Gazidis job to predict these. We historically screwed the pooch on sponsorship deals, got equal TV money and the board allowed Kroenke to get in charge over other billionaire's who ego wanted Arsenal to dominate and didn't have a large track record of bumbling franchises. These failures are each fireable offensives in my opinion but collectively have brought Arsenal way below where they should be. These factors were not set in stone, other clubs were able to predict and benefit from these changes. The collective leadership at Arsenal are multi-factorial failures.

cantona94 repped this.
  2. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    But would I take him over Wenger at Arsenal? Why yes, actually yes I would. Seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

Shen-O repped this.
  4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is looking at things with an awful lot of hindsight. Based on the information available at the time, I'm not sure that I can find that much fault with the club's decisions that were made between 2002 and 2006. The club started making plans for the stadium in 1997, years before Abramovich and the Man City guys entered the picture, and it's not as if these acquisitions were all that predictable then: Abramovich likely bought Chelsea as insurance against Putin's capriciousness, and the Man City guys bought their club with an eye to building a "brand" for Abu Dhabi.

I see your point regarding the sponsorship deals, BUT they were relatively high value deals at the time they were made. We've discussed this ad nauseum, but the main issue with those deals was that they were too long. Without knowing why they were made with that length, you can't say that they were bad deals: if they were made as a condition of stadium financing, for example, it becomes a much more defensible proposition than if the additional length was used to justify a higher annual value. But again, I don't think anyone seriously anticipated that commercial deals would be worth six times as much less than a decade later.

Regarding Kroenke, I'm not sure what to make of him. His history suggests that he doesn't interfere with the operations of his teams all that much, but all of his teams tend to operate in a fairly risk averse manner (like the Nuggets never paying luxury tax). That MO won't work at Arsenal in years like this one, where you have five other teams that are good.

The big miss, in my opinion, was the club's misplaced reliance on financial fair play: it's hard to believe that they really thought that UEFA could actually pull that off, just because of the amount of money at stake.

By my count we've bought seven players in the past four years that would have been record breaking signings for us in 2012: Ozil, Alexis, Chambers, Welbeck, Xhaka, Mustafi, and Perez. That's hardly failure: perhaps not as good as we could have hoped, but if you were expecting Arsenal to be competing for the likes of the Pogbas and the Mbappes of the world, a quick look at the club's financials would tell you that Arsenal would need an extra 100 million in annual income to pull that off. That was never on the cards.

Finally, we're having this conversation because the results on the field aren't nearly as good as we would like. Instead of blaming everyone, we need to be blaming Wenger for this: the failure to build a coherent midfield in the six years after Fabregas and Nasri left is why Arsenal haven't been competitive for anything other than the odd cup. We can talk about tactics and poor coaching, but a look at the players we've trotted out says it all. Outside of the year that Arteta was phenomenal and the times that Cazorla's been healthy, Arsenal really haven't been good in years.

Owen Gohl, Super Llama and DaPrince84 repped this.
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only neg rep still exsited. ;)

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Even I would not do that lmao

Fifty repped this.
  7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting thoughtful post Mebe, but I wanna react to this...

I think this may be another 20-20-hindsight issue. I don't know about you, but when FFP was first being touted and Arsenal was proudly citing that we were better positioned to thrive in that world than most other clubs, it seemed plausible to me. Yes I had my usual skepticism about how UEFA was going to be able to implement FFP without watering it down. But UEFA is a powerful organization who holds the purse-strings to the coveted UCL disbursements. So it seemed at the time that they had the desire & fortitude to really do something with FFP, not to fairly quickly abandon it, as is what seems to have happened?

So yes, Wenger is prone to old-fashioned thinking, and naivety in certain situations like this. But I'd be lying if I didn't say that a good part of me likes the live-within-your-means approach to running our club, instead of the sugar-daddy-financial-arms-race world that many of our chief rivals live in. And forgetting about FFP specifically, if we can be reasonably successful without being dangerously leveraged, or beholden to some unscrupulous Russian oligarch, then I'm OK with that. The problem is that most fans, myself included, would agree that we haven't been "reasonably successful" enough in the past 12 years. But that's a topic for another time & place.

I read this with a slight smile, recalling that you were one of the last converts to #WengerOut, sometime this season. I was a little late to that party also, but more like 1-2 years ago.

Shen-O, mebeSajid and GunnerJacket repped this.
  8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not sure about this part. FFP came about because of the sugar daddy phenomena that you offer as an unforeseen moving of the competitive goalposts, and even if enacted to the fullest extent we knew the likes of City were at least going to be stronger than before.

Otherwise I agree with much of what you've said, and have offered in the past how the introduction of sugar daddies greatly changed the dynamics on offer within the Premiership. When The Grove came into play the vision was Arsenal and ManU being the two titans of the league until Liverpool recovered their form. A lot easier to challenge for honors in that scenario, and they likely assumed each additional success would breed more success. Hard to envision not one but 2 new owners entering the scene willing to lose billions of dollars in order to make their teams superior challengers. The fight for trophies and European spots became infinitely tougher, and the costs for players goes up. The Arsenal brand no longer stands apart the way it once did.

More could've been done but that wouldn't have deferred the advent of the sugar daddies, and comparably speaking it's tough to say how other than winning trophies the club could add enough to their revenues to truly make a difference. Do we think another $10M for the shirt changes the picture? I don't.

Bottom line, Arsenal are poised with resources that enable them to compete for honors, but not so much that they can buy their way to a trophy on raw talent alone in the Prem or Europe. They need a team of players who'll rise above, and a manager that helps lead them there.

Agreed. I'm amazed to this day there isn't more ridicule of the largesse spent on the sugar daddy clubs, not just for the vanity involved but also because of the source of funds. I'll go to the grave convinced Abromovich and others should be in jail for how they in essence robbed the Russian populace.

9. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The length of those commercial deals likely cost Arsenal between 200 and 400 million pounds over 3-4 years. Think about that, and the run on effects it has for our commercial deals in the future.

Fifty and DaPrince84 repped this.
  10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would. Only post I ever neg repped was the BlueNGooner fantasy. Suggesting Fat Sam manage Arsenal tops that.

thebigman repped this.
  11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not sure I agree with this. The Emirates deal was something like seven years, a hundred million quid for both stadium and shirt. If we'd signed a five year deal instead, and reupped in 2011 instead, assuming the same deal signed in 2013 (5 years shirt, 8 years stadium, 150 million total), we're talking ~ an extra 15 million a year for two years.

The Nike deal is a little worse (~5 million per year, iirc), but the going rate in 2011 was something like 20 million per year. We're talking an extra 15 million starting in 2011 for the kit as well. So we're talking an extra 30 million a year, or 75 million total (because Nike's deal expired in 2014). And again, we don't know what circumstances led to negotiating deals for that length: if it was done to secure financing for the stadium, it becomes very hard to criticize, because the AAV was on the high side when the deals were made.

12. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    They were key to the financing. Hence the length of the deals and favourable cashflow

13. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Source?

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/3135523.stm

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean you wouldn't do "neg rep" or Big Sam? I'm guessin the latter.

thebigman repped this.
  16. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I probably should have been more clear. Was meant more of an aggregate between players that had to be sold, costs to replace them, loss of revenue from re-upping deals from an already low position.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Happy to beg rep fcuk fat sam

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    At the end of the day the stadium deal couldn't happen with out the Nike deal.

Remember this wasn't the current ZLB climate.

Interest rates were "normal" and a climb to higher rates could always be possible. The bank wanted decent security and Nike provided a form of financing with long term cashflow.

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think it was more the up front payment. That's a really lucrative deal by 2006 standards (~13 million per year?). That would have been a half-decent deal in 2010 too. But the up front payment (which was not available for the squad) meant the club wasn't getting a ton from Nike annually.

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Both aspects are related. It allows Arsenal to point to 130m guaranteed revenue, 50% upfront.

Essentially using Nike as a form of interest free financing.

Otherwise the money has to be borrowed presumably from a secondary financier and Nike pay more but spread into the future

21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sure, but my point was more: that wasn't a bad deal by any means.

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agreed

23. LAgooner05

LAgooner05 Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Orange County
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    How bad of an exodus of players would we have if he was fired?That is one thing that amazes me from all these stars, they all want him to stay. The man hasn't delivered an EPL title in over a decade, makes no sense...

24. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many players have we lost out on sure to Arsenal's results? If they get a manager who wins and we spend cash, then players will flock to Arsenal. Sadly I don't see tat happening.

25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would take these statements with a little bit of salt. No player is going to say that they want the manager out.

DaPrince84 and Fifty repped this.