Stop Dragan this Out: The Wenger Succession Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by elessar78, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cashman has been told to rebuild the club on the cheap, so the Steinbrenners can save a ton of money on luxury tax payments. Baseball's free agency landscape has also changed, so the Yankees can't just sign the best players anymore - teams are much more savvy about leveraging arbitration in signing players to extensions.

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Actually u want welbeck over giroud or perez as the front two go wide

3. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may want them over OG anyway but the video said that the attack focused on the middle and that the 2 CAMs would work wide to create depth. Admittedly, I have not watched any Hoffenheim this season but the lineup I suggested was based on current roster and description of how their players are deployed.

I we signed Nagelsmman and were shaking up the roster, I would probably sell OG (as well as most of the other 30+ yr old guys) and try to get someone like Lukaku, Lacazette or Dybala to play with Alexis up top.

thebigman repped this.
  4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think we see a mass exodus

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see ANYONE leave in the squad

I just really hope the old idiot sees himself out

Such a selfish man. He's done, just because his wife left him we have to put up with him? It is not the fans fault his life is nothing without football

Fifty repped this.
  5. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Idk about selfish. I'd have a hard time turning down 8 million quid a year that's offered without accountability. Wenger staying would be flat out rational for him. Just not a good deal for Arsenal. Blame the people keeping him, aka Kroenke, especially when we could get the likes of Allegri or Simeone for significantly less.

bigredfutbol and thebigman repped this.
  6. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    According to the video, he does use a target man to play off of, so that'd be Giroud.

Welbeck's final products are mediocre anyway.

Fifty and thebigman repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I note he reached the same conclusion as Speilvercom

I am a big believer in constraint limited systems and decision making.

Wenger still operates in the mid 00s world of individual playmakers.

Teams like Pep's Barca or the AllBlacks (paging bigman) view the players as problem solvers within a constraint limited system

The constraints are important because they give the players a framework and common purpose. So if the circumstances are not right for a final pass or a shot, the players cycle through known patterns and problem solving to reach a solution.

With Pep and other elite managers these instructions are super super specific, and this is why top players like Sterling develop under him.

Again this all matters on the margins - so it's not that Wenger was crap - he was a top 4 manager with good underlying data.

But he lacks that extra 5% because his thinking is utterly dated.

I know in English coverage everyone just can't stop talking about "mentality" and "leaders" but over here a more common criticism is that the team is poorly organised and lacks tactical discipline.

I still believe its a strong squad, but Wenger being Wenger, he still never acquired a proper winger or established a decent 6+6 / 6+8

These are not hard problems to solve.

For instance he passed up on signing Sami K - how dumb was that?

yossarian, Sarcasm Bot and thebigman repped this.
  8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I completely agree with this.

I remember old man Rosicky easily overcoming Bayern's press some years ago because even with no legs he was such a fine tactical and technical player that he could simply play lofted lateral balls over the press. For the others, the lack of a tactical solution is fatal.

Even Pep's Bayern routinely dumped the ball long against BVBs hyena press for example - because Pep specifically told them to do this.

Arsenal have no tactical solution to it

Fifty repped this.
  9. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To look at what Jitty said from another angle, Wenger has failed to coach decision-making. In the same way that physical demands have grown, mental demands have grown as well. Wenger's way is to let players figure it out themselves. Imagine if the players were just left on their own to do their physical training. Wenger is doing that with their minds

Fifty and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The difficulty I see in terms of solutions is "replace Ozil and Alexis"

I agree Wenger has messed this up by not renewing at least one of them by now.

But replacing them is a nightmare.

First a player of this quality is seldom available and will cost a fortune.

Second, by running down the contracts - Arsenal will get little money for them.

So poorly handled

bigredfutbol, Fifty and cantona94 repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think you can go even further and say he has failed to provide them with any solutions.

I hope you don't mind if I mention Rugby here, but this is the perfect example of what I am talking about

It's called Elephants, Monkeys, Lions, and these 3 different tactical solutions are available to generate fast ball and disorganise the defence. Because all of the players have pattern recognition drummed in, they can recognise and self organise for the different tactics. The playmaker does not need to confront the overall game state - rather he just cycles between solutions, until such point as he or another player senses a chance to attack.

This is very Guardiola. The team don't over attack if the circumstances are not right, Instead they self organise within the system, and try to seek a disruption in the defence. This is also why Guardiola liked a player like Toni Kroos who can move the defence around with diagonals.

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The other interesting thing that clip reminds me of it the importance of distributed decision making

The half back runs the elephants and lions plays - but he has both to choose from and the players know where to stand for them.

The forwards run the monkey's plays without reference to anyone else. They just make the decision in small unit plays.

Sometimes Carter is making the call to attack - because he can see more from where he is standing.

These small unit tactics are also really critical in football, but it requires everyone to know what the overall idea is.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    U never see this sort of shit at Arsenal

Even when we dominated we always got owned in the cl because of superior tactical thinkers

Wenger has never actually been an elite manager imo

DaPrince84 and Fifty repped this.
  14. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I agree with all this except the part about the margins. It's bigger than just a marginal thing. The thing is, Wenger really is good at identifying and recruiting players, so we usually have a substantial advantage in our underlying quality. Then he turns around a forfeits that advantage plus a marginal bit more through his horrible leadership and lack of instruction.

So let's not sell ourselves short. Wenger really is crap.

Actually I think there's more to this than you're letting on. The players know or intuit the lack of organization of the setup, they know that the team is going to be underperforming its talent level, therefore they lose motivation. As things stand, Wenger is the worst motivational manager in major sport.

We have a squad of 25 or so senior players. The only one that I can think of that is clearly performing as well as you could hope is Giroud. Maybe Koscielny maybe Walcott at a stretch. _Everybody_ else, there's at least a hope that if we had a different manager, the players would perform better whether it's through lack of injuries, instruction, organization, motivation, training or something else.

He has to go, it really can't be an option any more. This is why in spite of Wenger and Kroenke's desire for Wenger to stay, I suspect this might carry the day anyway.

Fifty repped this.
  15. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes yes yes yes

This is also easily seen in basketball. The importance of coaching and tactical sophistication on both offense and defense is really clear.

The other thing that's now coming home to roost is the cumulative effect of Arsene not teaching decision making. Learning each pattern and possibility opens up new patterns and possibilities. Over the course of time your patterns become much more sophisticated. As we've not left step 1 the tactical gap has now widened to a canyon.

danielh and DaPrince84 repped this.
  16. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, so this. He should have won the CL with the players he received.

DaPrince84, bigredfutbol and thebigman repped this.
  17. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News this morning that we have signed Sead Kolasinac and that he has been told that AW is staying.

darcgun repped this.
  18. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    One thing that amuses me is how many prominent Wenger Ins in the media have switched. Theyre not stupid,they know they won't have as much credibility with these performances.

John Cross, whom I actually think is a sound journo, has said he should go. Keown, probably if his ex-players the staunchest, has said he should go. There is a guy on Twitter (GeoffArsenal) who says he should go, and he's seen as Wenger In central there.

But our man from Alsace is a stubborn ********, and will probably manage us forever at this rate. Wenger's ghost may win us the Champions League in thirty years time, or attend Pochettino's funeral after a successful stint at Real Madrid or Man united (not Spurs).

19. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We do need a left-back to be fair, but then he knows he'll get more flak if this is the only signing he makes. We need even if Alexis stays (I don't care about Ozil, he's not suited to our style), £100m of talent coming in.

20. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No match day thread less than 24 hrs before the Boro game. About says it all. We probably have the most apathetic. boring club in the world. Totally dead club. Absolutely no vital signs. Call the coroner!

cantona94 and Fifty repped this.
  21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Go ahead and make a thread then

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly nobody felt arsed enought to do so. Oh well, you know that old saying "if you want something done..."
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/boro-vs-arsenal-epl-17-apr-2017.2042863/

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't look at me. I couldn't make one.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was well aware of that. I was just quoting you for the spirit you seemed to embody... "stop whining and just do it yourself".

mebeSajid repped this.