Stop Dragan this Out: The Wenger Succession Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by elessar78, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If he has signEd an extension he is a selfish, delluded old man

Pathetic excuse for a modern day manager at a 'big' club

Horrific tactician as well

So fcuking selfish

2. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Maybe we can get those people to protest against whoever decided to change this message board into this monstrosity next; Hopefully it would work out better than the Wenger protest :cry:

Silva 5, cooper7d7 and DutchCane repped this.
  3. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for Alexis.

4. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I wish they can put this template on another site I chat in.

5. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Case of your eyes deceiving you. Alexis works less than any player on the pitch.

6. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I'm not buyin' it. There's none of United's defenders I want here except maybe de Gea if you count him as a defender, maybe Bailly if he can stay uninjured for a decent run of games. They have decent talent in the midfield and the forward line, but not much idea about how the pieces should fit together. They expect to have more points than they do because they have dominated a bunch of League games and ended up drawing them.

In any event, like I said before it's at least plausible to think United is on the upswing, and it's obvious that we're not. It's hard for me how that could be a point of dispute.

He also has more credibility than Wenger from the fact that he won the League with Chelsea two years ago. It was only last year that his players downed tools on him. Wenger has this year to explain away somehow, _after_ a run of ten years of mediocrity. His reputation is simply not salvageable in a way that doesn't affect Mourinho.

The point about the Europa League is stupid. It _was_ useless for Chelsea who expects to win the League and the CL. United are situation much differently, who are trying to scratch and claw their way back into the CL.

7. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    He's certainly criticized those people, often unfairly. Maybe he's tried to blame them for poor results, though that's a stretch. IIRC he's never tried to blame the failures of a season on those things (in lieu of himself). He's never ever told the supporters that they should just suck it up because before him their club was nothing.

And let's face it, that train of thought applies a lot more to Mourinho and Chelsea than it does for Wenger and Arsenal.

8. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah this. Our board is the Three Stooges of football management but let's face it, they have only done one thing really. They entrust all important football decisions to Wenger. It's hard to fault them for anything specific really.

9. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah this. Tbh I've had my fill of shills talking about how gracious and classy Wenger is. Any man with a shred of character in his financial position wouldn't accept 8MM GBP a year for what he's done for the club over the last couple years.

Fifty repped this.
  10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Breh, Mourinho is completely washed. Only reason he not getting more shit is due to our clown show and Mourinho has more friends in the media.

Super Llama repped this.
  11. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Heh. Just today we see another helpful round of warchest stories, it's hard to believe that Mourinho has more fans in the media.

You could be right that Mou is washed up, I've gone back and forth on it myself. But it's pretty clear for me that there's reason for United fans (or anybody else for that matter) to think otherwise. That means that Mouninho has credibility as a manager that Wenger can never have, at least at Arsenal.

12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    the warchest stories come from club PR briefings.

We dont see columnist writing Wenger should stay. When is the last time you saw a columnist criticize Mourinho's performance this season? We see more Poga is crap articles then Mourinho continual misuse of someone who cost £89 million.

Also a lot of United fans I know dont like Mourinho.

13. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    A lot of the United fans you know are probably idiots then.

Liking or disliking a manager is irrelevant, competence is all that matters.

14. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    they dont like him due to that competence thing you pointed out.

15. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Whose agenda is to prop up Wenger's reputation at the expense of the supporters' football interest, an agenda which several mainstream outlets willingly enable.

Really? I don't think there's been very many prominent media members who have gone on record as WengerOut until a week or two ago. It seems like it was only a month or so ago where it was pointed out that Gary Neville routinely trashed the substance of Wenger's actions as manager while still supporting him on the job.

Anybody who goes on record as WengerOut makes himself a target for retaliation by the Wenger-enabling Arsenal PR machine. So it's been pretty quiet on that score until the situation escalated beyond a point of plausible deniability.

16. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ‘Wenger has made his decision clear that he wants to stay and, even at 67 and after years of stubbornness, he believes he can rediscover his glory years.There will be a major shake-up of the squad, big changes behind the scenes – they want a new Academy director and in the longer term a director of football – and an expectation of Wenger being able to take the club to the next level’ – John Cross, Daily Mirror, March 2017.
    ‘Arsene Wenger is determined to stay on as Arsenal manager – and wants to oversee a major rebuild of his squad this summer. It is likely to lead to a big clear-out at the Emirates, with boss Wenger targeting several summer buys’ – John Cross, Daily Mirror, March 2016.
    ‘Arsene Wenger will sign a new Arsenal contract, and is proving it by planning a huge spending spree in the summer transfer window. Wenger has left Arsenal in no doubt that he is staying because he is lining up big transfer targets as he looks to strengthen his squad for a title challenge next season’ – John Cross, Daily Mirror, April 2014.
    ‘Arsene Wenger will be given a huge budget to transform Arsenal back into genuine contenders next season by making summer signings’ – John Cross, Daily Mirror, May 2013.
    -user bcereus63

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunners/comments/60nmwd/a_look_at_the_past_john_cross_and_the_war_chest/

ArsenalJake, AEAAFC96, mebeSajid and 3 others repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Laughable.

Why would anyone think he can achieve this stuff?

BigEffingGooner repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What's absurd is that Wenger already had a powerful and expensive squad and had yet another Summer and big spend to add to it.

Yet the performance level is the same as every year - i.e on target for the usual 70-75 points

19. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

This says it all. Same old propaganda. Same strategy. Once Wenger confirms he is staying I will be tuning off until he is gone. I cannot continue to watch this garbage.

BigEffingGooner, Fifty, Silva 5 and 2 others repped this.
  20. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Sooo let's say Wenger gets 150M this summer. Who can he buy? Right now as it stands we can only buy top players. We have mediocre players, we don't need more. Any big player will only come to us if any of Chelsea, ManU, Tottenham, Liverpool, Man City won't want them. That's the first thing. Secondly, they would have to want to come here. Given these facts I don't see what players we would attract here. Why would someone from Monaco want to come, let alone any other team?

ArsenalJake repped this.
  21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Breh, he can spend all 150 million on top players, it wont matter. Wenger is the problem. He is not a tactician.

BigEffingGooner, Fifty and AEAAFC96 repped this.
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easier said than done. Be seeing you. ;)

23. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I have seen 3 matches this season... It won't be hard. :laugh:

24. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with this plus 150 for "top players" isn't gonna get us much these days. Would rather get a vet or 2 that can bring some leadership (ie Viera back in the day) and then spend the rest on younger guys with huge upside. May miss on some of them but could easily turn things around for our next manager.