Stop Dragan this Out: The Wenger Succession Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by elessar78, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dooglas

Dooglas Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Im def in the camp that wenger just isnt a great tactician. I also dont think he gets the best out of his guys anymore.

How many seasons of we lacked belief or consistency speeches do we need to hear?

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It looks like he already signed the new contract

I guess they were hoping to announce it after a win at the weekend

opps

3. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He is shameless

It will take a full scale rebellion to get him out.

It's obvious Ivan does not have the power to sack him. Stan holds all the cards and he doesn't care.

But reupping at a time like this just shows how out of touch he is.

4. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I thought so too, but Mourinho has legitimately reinvented himself at United, to the point where it's at least plausible to think that United is a team on the upswing, whereas it's ridiculous to think that about us.

Fundamentally, the difference between Mourinho and Wenger is that Mourinho has always been held accountable for results and for that matter has held himself accountable. He has pulled his share of weak shit and egomania over the years but he has never tried to pretend that we won when he really lost.

Fifty and Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  6. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Like who could possibly give a shit about which possible replacement is better than the other when Arsene Wenger is still the manager.

Fifty repped this.
  7. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    This is stupid. If he won't quit, he won't get fired, and he won't decline a new contract, the only thing left is to get hounded out (if in fact that even works).

8. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    The only saving grace of this is that sometimes we lose sight of how football is actually unimportant, and now we can take solace that in the big picture this doesn't really change things. But Christ this is shocking.

9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Is it season ticket renewal time already?

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    no he hasnt.

It took United 4 months to finally move out of 6th. They have the talent to be title contenders yet are languishing in 5th/6th place. They have not beaten anyone good this season. He dismissed the Europa League when at Chelsea, now he is saying its the most important competition ever.

Mourinho is washed. Arguably more deluded than Wenger too.

I do agree that Mourinho is held more accountable than Wenger, but thats because Wenger's a better person than Mourinho.

11. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    If he re-signs and doesn't win a major trophy next year, there's going to be a mutiny amongst the fans, it's as simple as that.

I've mentioned before that I get a little disgusted by Barca and Madrid fans forcing out managers who only win a trophy or two per year, but Wenger re-signing would be the literal opposite of that. The board would be keeping him on in spite of very reasonable concerns that he can take the club no further.

EPL Fan repped this.
  12. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just keeping him on. If rumors are correct, we would be giving him a damned raise as well.

13. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Also because Wenger's built some credibility at the club and hasn't used anywhere near the resources that Mourinho has.

14. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Mourinho uses resources to win, Wenger uses resources to return profits to shareholders

Fifty and gogunners14 repped this.
  15. The English Hacker

Aug 8, 2011
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I still think that the media is blowing things out of proportion when it comes to dissent within the club. Obviously there's a vocal group of supporters that want Wenger out but I've yet to see anything credible that the players feel the same way. Giroud just came out today to say the players want Wenger to sign another contract. I think it's BS that he's "lost the dressing room".

I'd like him to move on but I think that there's less than a 1% chance of that happening.

16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It looks like the players don't give a crap on the field.

17. gogunners14

gogunners14 Member+

Dec 6, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think their performances on the pitch are more important than anything they say to the press. Actions speak louder than words.

DutchCane, DaPrince84 and Fifty repped this.
  18. The English Hacker

Aug 8, 2011
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think that turning to a manager of a team that is clearly head and shoulders above the competition is the right answer. We need someone to motivate players to do better than expected. Unless we spend more that's the only way we are going to beat the best.

Which managers in the top leagues have their team punching above their weight?

Diego Simeone at Atletico Madrid
    Ralph Hasenhüttl at RB Leipzig
    Leonardo Jardim at Monaco
    Lucien Favre at Nice
    Ronald Koeman at Everton

I'm sure there are more. Of those, only Simeone has done it fairly consistently.

19. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's so insulting the way they treat fans. They deserve everything they are going to get.

20. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Julian Nagelsmann at Hoffenheim. Probably a better personality and tactician version of Tuchel

The English Hacker repped this.
  21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He is like 15

Future star but is he ready for a big club in a new country?

22. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ready yes. Perhaps 1-2 more years Buli. Hoffenheim are a bunch of like 20 nationalities. And with all the continental coaches now transforming EPL it isnt even a foreign country any longer in terms of what happens on the field. I know, very unlikely. He doesnt provide the name needed to sell shirts and buy players.

23. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Wenger really has been given a new contract after everything that has gone on this season AND last, then it enters the territory of saving your own sanity.

This is concrete evidence that the incompetence at this club starts at the very top, ownership and upper management. Which of course trickles down to what the fans see on the pitch.

Credit to all the arsenal fans in London who have made their voices heard and done whatever they can to move the club in a new direction, but if ALL of that has fallen on deaf ears then it's time to chill out and accept it for what it is. Or just simply stay home or stay in the pub on match day.

The club has shown very clearly they are unconcerned with results and unconcerned with your wallet. There's no point in emotionally investing yourself in something that doesn't invest the same in return.

Fifty and AEAAFC96 repped this.
  24. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is laughably, demonstrably false. Mourinho has been fined and suspended more than any other manager for blaming referees for losses. He's blamed referees, ball boys, pitches, other teams not pushing his team enough, bad tackles, referees again, and even his own fcuking medical staff for losses. Have you forgotten Eva Carneiro?

Maybe I'm being trolled right know, I dunno.

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think its become pretty clear that the board has no power.

The two most powerful people at the club are Wenger and Stan

And Stan is not at the point of sacking Wenger.

Wenger is significantly more powerful than Ivan in my view