Stop Dragan this Out: The Wenger Succession Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by elessar78, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who is it going to be? Who do you want it to be?

2. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Wenger will resign. Hopefully in another 2 years this thread may be really relevant.

3. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Clever thread title. :thumbsup:

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it funny that the word "resign" gets confused with the one "re-sign". Obviously you meant the latter one in your post.

Personally I'd say he's 70/30 to re-up (a less ambiguous word!) But I think that if for any reason he's hedging his bet until the end of the season, if our results were to really sour, then that 70/30 could become 30/70.

It's all interesting that's for sure. Not just for Gooners also. I can't believe the amount of press this issue's been getting in the last month.

Edit: Oops, I didn't answer the OP's question really. I've fancied Klopp for some time, even with his recent difficulties, but I realize that the best window for that happening was about 1-2 years ago. Although I guess I'd be open to some Italian "pragmatist" instead... I, like so many other fans, are more than impatient for an EPL or UCL trophy.

5. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope we win 2 or 3 nil today vs. Bayern.

But if we get smoked, Wenger should announce his retirement within the next 24-48 hours.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  6. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Yes! I meant re-sign! And I was harsh with saying this thread was irrelevant. I was just looking for a thread like this the other day so I'm glad it was made.

I would love to get Alegri, or Tuchel. To be honest I think I'm just bored. I do think Wenger is a good coach, but I just think it's time for a change. Wenger has been consistent, and has been remarkably good for Arsenal as a club. I just think we could use a change. We most certainly need a fresh face, someone to challenge the team. Someone to change the mentality of the players. Someone with a different style, someone different to hear talking to the press. Someone to acknowledge the teams weaknesses. It's just been year after year of the same drill. Hope for a better player or two in the summer thinking (this is what we need), doing well for a while in the season, just to falter at some point.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of having someone different to hear during press conference, made me think of Jaap Stam, who is now Reading manager. I heard him speak last night and he is 100% completely fluent in English. Plus he sounds like a good dude. Who knew? I just think of him as United's giant enforcer. Supposedly he's got Reading playing really nice looking, organized football. Cue the Bigman.

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Possibilities

Jardim
    Alegri
    Simeone
    Enrique
    Howe
    Tuchel

Im going left field as i really am intrigued by stam at reading as he has been really good and plays various sustems

9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't forget Ralph Hasenhuttl.

thebigman repped this.
  10. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Alegri and tuchel would be good because they're the best of what's around. But they don't really inspire me, ya know?

11. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Emery, but we missed that boat.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonite's result may just be step one. I know some of y'all are cheering a 1-5 defeat in Munich.

13. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ain't no one cheering. I got pulled into something, so missed most of the second half, but what the hell happened?

14. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    At this point a traffic cone with sunglasses and a trench coat would be a better manager than Wenger, so I'll take just about anybody right now. Maybe they can prop up the statue of Henry in the technical area and get better results.

15. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #15 Rewinder, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    I hate to say I told you so. Wait, no I don't. I ********ing told you so. Wenger has been past it for a long time, but waiting this long to replace him has cost us years of rebuilding time. I don't rule out the prospect that he will renew and milk this club a little bit more, but enough is enough. The man needed to be gone years ago, and if he had any decentcy he would announce his resignation after the next leg.

Fifty repped this.
  16. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    #16 Thezzaruz, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    Same as always, Bayern strung a few passes together and that's all that's needed really.

Love Wenger and what he's done for the club but this really has to be it. With the progress that the other top teams in the league are making I'd be surprised if we get EL football with him in charge next season.

17. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Not happening. If he goes anywhere it's to Italy for a few years before looking at the Argentine NT.

Barca? He seems to have even less of an idea than Wenger ffs?

But I'm not really picky, Howe or even Staam is fine by me. As long as it's someone that realises that defending isn't only done through possession then I'm good at this point.

thebigman repped this.
  18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Id take fcuking sam allardyce at thisbpoint lol

Silva 5, AEAAFC96 and banco repped this.
  19. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because he built this club up doesn't mean he can tear it down.

He needs to go before his legacy is damaged beyond repair.

20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    One should strive to be smarter than the average bear

21. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After tonight, I truly believe Arsene Wenger owes AFC his resignation.

Owes.

Plain and simple.

Walk.

Walk away.

Sadly, I doubt that means anything since Stan Kroenke owns the club, Gazidis is a puppet, and all the board does is...

"Win Win Win no matter what.... Got money on their minds, and they'll never give it up...."

And it stays there!
    And it stays there!
    And it stays there!

UP UP UP UP!!!

22. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll probably dick around all summer and not commit one way or another, then on the day before his contract expires he'll sign a short term 3-4 month deal. Then in late november he'll leave and Arsenal will have no good manager options. The following year Kroenke hires Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, simply because his name is Gunnar.

AEAAFC96, Romfordray and daedalus repped this.
  23. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Well the part about 3-4 months and then hiring Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is a little farfetched. The rest of it though, is legit what I'm afraid of. We're best off for the club if he resigns tomorrow. But if he doesn't do that, maybe on the grounds of being in the middle of the season, he needs to resign or be sacked immediately after the final fixture of the season.

Whoever comes in is going to have a lot of word to do, and we want to preserve as much of the transfer window as possible for them to do it. We can't afford to get behind the 8-ball waiting on Wenger to do something, when the players we need to get are moving, and the clubs who need to buy our players are spending their money elsewhere.

24. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You fools, you imbeciles the lot of you.

When Boro Primorac is the next manager, you will scream to me, in my new Man City shirt and enjoying top four football, "Save Us!"...and I'll look down and whisper, "No."

DaPrince84 and DutchCane repped this.
  25. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    The top 3 hell yes. Enrique still on the fence about him, Howe is too unproven would prefer Koeman, Tuchel needs to work on his teams defending otherwise if he comes here he takes us back to pre Cech-Mertesacker-Koscielny times.