Stoke City, 2008/2009 EPL Season

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by mgrayscale, Jun 16, 2008.

1. duality72

duality72 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x5Olen_1co"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x5Olen_1co[/ame]

2. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol!

3. Madmartigen

Madmartigen Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Elgin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top four? The season is not over, yet. I wouldn't cash that Champion's League check just yet. And as far as congratulations go, congratulations on not winning any silverware this year... Good move concentrating on Stoke! Such bitterness from the Villians supporters...

4. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking this will help Stoke be regulated

[​IMG]

5. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoke got a great 2-0 win at the Britainnia today against Bolton, and with the 3 points have vaulted to 15th in the tables. The next match is away at Everton on Saturday, which will be on FoxSoccer live at 10:00 a.m. As we have a match that night, Chantico's Army will not have a watch event, but I'll be watching none the less.

6. hailhailhoops

hailhailhoops New Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Salado, Texas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am becoming more of a Stoke fan, with the club affiliation and all, but my prediction Everton 2 Stoke 0.
    Up you Toffees!!

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beattie's starting to look like a genius purchase.

8. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was listening to a BBC podcast last night at the gym, and heard some interesting analysis of the Beattie v. Kitson situation. You'll remember that Kitson was signed from Reading last summer for a club record 5.5 million quid. Apparently, Tony Pulis has realized that the investment has yielded minimal (read "any") return whereas the Beattie investment has resulted in almost a goal a game since he came in the January transfer window. I couldn't agree more with that analysis. Additionally, I have found it interesting that Ricardo Fuller is playing (albeit a sub) whereas I'm not seeing much of Griffin (who I frankly don't like).

Ahhh, with EPL and SPL in the final throws of the season, USL1 and MLS starting, there's so much football and so little time (as I sit here and watch the Puerto Rico match on FoxSoccer).

9. Madmartigen

Madmartigen Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Elgin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ricardo Fuller and James Beattie need to start together to help see them through so they will get regulated. (Not relegated.) We need to get the goal differential above -10 to have a good chance, IMO. I think Kitson should be sold to whomever will take him, maybe Notts County...

Good result today against a decent team. I just wish we could end up with more than 4 points from away games. If we can, that will make it so we don't have to go to the Emirates looking to win in order to stay up...At least three points from West Brom and/or Hull would be good.

10. Barbaro

Barbaro Member

Roma
    United States
    May 3, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    At Everton is a tough game; I'd be ecstatic with a draw.
    But look at the next four games -- Middlesbrough, West Brom, Newcastle, Blackburn -- four of the five teams behind us in the standings. That's the stretch that should decide it.

I'm afraid goal differential is a losing proposition; we better hope it doesn't come down to that. If they do go +7 over the last 10 games, they'll be closer to 10th place than 18th.

11. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note that's Stoke at Everton next Saturday (the 14th), not this Saturday (the 7th)...

12. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoke City announced today that they were sending Dave Kitson, the former Reading striker signed in the summer of 2008 for a record $11 million (based on a pound to $ rate of 2:1 at the time), back to Reading on loan. Soccernet is reporting that expectations are that the loan would be permanent if Reading, who is currently sitting at 3rd in the Championship, make the jump to the Premiership at the end of the season.

Personally, this is good news, especially since Stoke believe they may be able to get the entire fee back in the loan and potential trade deal. Kitson never impressed me, and once Beattie was signed in the January transfer, it was clear who the go to striker would be.

13. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. Kitson never settled in at Stoke and he would be more effective at his old familiar grounds at Reading instead of Britainnia.

14. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lads, with a 2-0 result against the Baggies our Big sister club has all but sinched it's Prem status, as has Blackburn with a 2-0 result over Spurs.

Play up you Potters, well done.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQxSz0XHXyA"]YouTube - Up the Potters![/ame]

15. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very impressive away win.

But I don't think we can say anything is in the bag just yet. There are still 7 games to play, and just 6 point separating Stoke from the relegation zone, there's still way too much movement possible.

Yeah, that's a huge win. And Stoke's now the highest they've been in the table (13th). But they need to take care of business the next two weeks. Still, like watching for MLS stadiums to get built, I'm of the "I'll wait 'til it's guaranteed before I start talking."

16. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in my own defence, I said all but. :rolleyes:

17. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. 6 games to play, and our boys in Engerland maintain their 6-point separation with a home tie against Newcastle. Not good, though, since it was at home, and it was Newcastle, the team sitting in that top spot in the relegation zone. A win would've been much better. I don't know enough to say how much of a setback that is.

And in a side tidbit, after the amazing start that Hull City had, Stoke is now the top of the three teams that were promoted this season.

18. kingqueso

kingqueso Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Stoke need at least 4 more points in the last 6 games to stay safe. It's hard to say. Their remaining schedule is not the worst so 4 points is kind of a low ball figure.

V. Blackburn
    @ Fulham
    V. West Ham United
    @ Hull
    V. Wigan
    @ Arsenal

I just pray that they are safe before the last game at Arsenol. They need to get the 3 points next week against Rovers (Sorry Blackburn).

I think some of the teams below them have a tougher remaining schedule. Although now that I look at it, it is really no cake walk.

19. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will crush them like grape!

Seriously, while I want Stoke to stay up, Blackburn need those points more!

20. -ATX-

-ATX- Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blackburn better watch out, the Stoke fans have a missile.
    http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...deo-review/article-895713-detail/article.html

I haven't found any follow-up articles on the incident.

I was able to watch the 2nd half and thought Stoke and Newcastle played fairly even with both having opportunities. Certainly it was disappointing to not win at home against a struggling squad. We'll hope for better luck in the next match, and hopefully nothing makes it to the pitch from the stands. Go Stoke!

21. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5lQXv6S_-Q"]YouTube - Stoke fans singing Delilah[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCXY2UjygSw&feature=related"]YouTube - Pottermouth - Keep Stoke Up[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQxSz0XHXyA"]YouTube - Up the Potters![/ame]

Potters 2-0 Hull

THAT"LL DO BIG SIS!!!!!

UP THE POTTERIES
    UP THE STOKIES
    DELILAH EVERMORE

WAY TA STUFF IT TO THE SUITS
    WHO SAID YOU'D GET THA BOOTS
    ON YOUR WAY BACK DOWN

WELL DONE ALL, FROM GAFFER TO CROWD
    YOU'VE MADE US ALL QUITE PROUD
    TO COUNT OURSELVES AS PART OF YOUR LOT

HOORAH THE POTTERS
    HOORAH THE POTTERS
    THE SHIPS WILL COME IN YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the final was SCFC 2, Hull 1 on a 90' Hull goal. However, it takes the Potters to 42, which is enough to play in the EPL next season. With the additional points, they're clear of relegation, which sees WBA, Newcastle and 'Boro at the bottom with 31 each.

Looks like another season of $5 Guinness and Breakfast tacos!!!!

23. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome! Congratulations to our brothers across the pond!

24. Madmartigen

Madmartigen Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Elgin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now maybe Phil will be able to catch his breath a little! Great job Stoke and much credit to Tony Pulis! Up you Potters!

Let's hope Rory Delap has a successful shoulder surgery, because we will need his rockets again... Great to see the bookies have to eat their own pies...

Potters! Potters! Potters!

25. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now you can stamp a Wigan "kill" stamp on the Stokie bomber.:D

Wiggies 1-2 Potters

Now the real Icing on the cake would be three points off of the gooners in the season final. WOOP WOOP.

Oh, and Surprise surprise the devils won the league, BOORING.

(honestly I probably wouldn't follow the EPL if it wasn't for the Potters.)