Stoke City, 2008/2009 EPL Season

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by mgrayscale, Jun 16, 2008.

1. duality72

duality72 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should be making this one, as well. Go Potters!

2. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Cuatros is home to both the Chelsea and Stoke/Aztex Supporters, I would say that it will be. However, even if it isn't, there are plenty of other screens (~42") to watch it on. I will be there as well, so I look forward to having a good crowd.

3. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well lads, guess what.

Long story short I wont be able ta be there tommorow due to car trouble that has to be taken care of early if I am going to be able to make it to my knew place of work by 4pm. Either way greetings to the Potters fans, hope ya join tha army or use one of my names for a group of your own ;),

COR UNUM lads

And be sure ta sing this if the potters gain 3pnts, or at least the chorus

I saw the light on the night that I passed by her window
    I saw the flickering shadows of love on her blind
    She was my woman
    As she deceived me I watched and went out of my mind

My, my, my, delilah
    Why, why, why, delilah
    I could see that girl was no good for me
    But I was lost like a slave that no man could free
    At break of day when that man drove away, I was waiting
    I cross the street to her house and she opened the door
    She stood there laughing
    I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more

My, my, my delilah
    Why, why, why delilah
    So before they come to break down the door
    Forgive me delilah I just couldnt take any more

She stood there laughing
    I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more

My, my, my, delilah
    Why, why, why, delilah
    So before they come to break down the door

4. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the lads gave all they had ta give today. And honestly I think if that screwy little cross hadn't blooped out to Anelka a.k.a Le Sulke, the Potters would've gotten something out of it for certain, especially the way they were playing in the second half.
    Hats off especially ta Fuller,Sidebe, and Griffin there efforts stuck out the most ta me.

5. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although Stoke City was unable to take any points out of today's match with Chelsea, there was a really cool piece of news that did come out of Britannia. Former boxing champion Sugar Ray Leonard was in the stadium to provide some inspirational points to the lads prior to the match. Here's a great picture of Sugar Ray in a Stoke kit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, I didn't even know Sugar Ray was a footie fan.

7. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to thank Stoke City's Ricardo Fuller for scoring the winning goal for Jamaica's win over Mexico last night. :cool:

8. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a note to everyone that the Tottenham v. Stoke City match is on live tomorrow (Sunday, October 19) at 10:00 a.m. There's a group of us that will meet at Cuatro's (24th & San Gabriel) to watch the event. Additionally, St. Edwards plays Incarnate Word at St. Edwards tomorrow at 1:00. This game will have four former Aztex PDL players on the pitch. Check out www.chanticosarmy.com for the details.

Additionally, there was a good turnout from the Aztex at this morning's American Heart Association Heartwalk. I think there were about 20 Aztex related folks who walked the 3 miles, and really represented the organization, the team, and Chantico's Army for this great cause.

10. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fuller reassured he still has a future with Stoke

Some fans believe Fuller should no longer wear the City shirt but in a lengthy interview on the club's website Coates stressed the player still had a key role to play.

''It hasn't entered our heads to sell him, '' Coates stressed. ''We're absolutely sure we want to keep him. Ric's a good player and you don't sell your good players. He's a big player and important player, he helped to get us here (the Premier League), and he'll stay at the club.''

I would like to know which "some fans" wouldn't want Fuller. Andy Griffin Apologists?

Coates is due to meet manager Tony Pulis on Wednesday when Fuller and Griffin return to training with the rest of the squad.

Oh boy!

11. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BBC's 606 football phone in show had all but one Stoke City fan saying that Fuller was in the wrong. However, I believe that Griffin is really the problem. He's under performed and frankly played sporadically. Fuller is the only striking power that the Potters have consistently show up on match day. If they get rid of him in January, then I would see relegation as an assured event.

12. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoke has signed what I believe is the first transfer for the January season today by signing West Ham midfielder Matthew Etherington to a 3 year, 3.3 million pound deal. It is believed that he will be on the pitch for the Saturday Liverpool game.

13. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why am I not comfortable about this signing?

Stoke agree £2.5m fee for striker Beattie

Can we a least sign a couple fo defenders (especially a right back) first? Stoke tends to leak out too many goals (33 goals conceded in 20 matches) and currently have a negative 15 goal difference.

14. FrogHammer

FrogHammer Member

May 26, 2005
    Well, Etherington has played defense for West Ham...maybe he can play right back. I think he is left-footed though since he played left midfield.

15. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Score one for nuestros Hermanos en Rayados
    (Our Brothers in Stripes)

And one for Mr. Beatie and with that they secure 3 points from Sheike City :cool: and vault to 16th place and out of the relegation zone for at least the week, all other clubs around them either lost or drew. Well done well done

and cheers to Phil and Kay for the first Potters V in nine matches, and over a big name opponent too.

16. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Madmartigen

Madmartigen Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Elgin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After Beattie's 2 goals so far, I would say it was money well spent... I don't know if Stoke could have signed the level of defender that they would need, but frankly I think they (the defenders) play well when they think they can do it. Lack of heart is where I think things go wrong. Couple that with the heart breaking loss to Chelsea, and I don't envy Tony Pulis. Getting 2 points from Liverpool, but dropping points to even the bottom 10 teams away isn't good.

Oh and I just noticed that they signed a defender on loan, Stephen Kelly. He looks to be a pretty competant defender, just got injured this year. Let's see if he does well against the Black Cats this weekend.

18. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just saw on SkySports, and confirmed with ESPN's Soccernet, that Ricardo Fuller was arrested by police this morning about 9:30 a.m. GMT (3:30 a.m. CST) near the Potters training ground for motoring offense. According to Stoke-on-the-Trent police, "As a result of their enquiries, his vehicle was seized and he was arrested for driving licence and vehicle insurance offences and taken to Northern Area Custody Facility where he will be interviewed today."

Ricky has been off while recuperating from a shoulder dislocation sustained from the Sunderland match a few weeks back. Fuller is one of my favorite Potters, and I felt that he was given way too much stick for what I felt was a justified "smack up the head" to Griffin.

19. Madmartigen

Madmartigen Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Elgin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The arrest is probably nothing serious according to most. The rumour is that the fight is partly due to the fact that Mr. Fuller would like to get a new contract preferably away from the Brittania... Of coarse, I am talking rumours in England, so you know how much of that is likely to be true. Sad (if true) in my opinion because I really liked watching him this season and I thought he has a lot of talent.

20. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy end to the Villa game. Stoke scored two goals in the final 5 minutes of play to snatch a draw.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/mar/01/aston-villa-stokecity

21. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. It was nice to see Stoke playing the role of the late match dynamo versus being on the receiving end (anyone remember the Chelsea match at Stamford Bridge). I especially liked the fact that Shawcross got the first goal. However, I'm still not forgiving him for contributing to the draw (versus victory) vs. Pompeii.

22. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I would prefer if we could stop talking this game. I want to hear no more.

23. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I would prefer if we could stop talking about this game. I want to hear no more of it.

24. Madmartigen

Madmartigen Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Elgin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey, Did anyone mention that the Villians gave Stoke their first ever win in the new English Premier League? And now drew them at home? That makes their record vs. Stoke 0-1-1. Just saying.

25. AustinFC

AustinFC New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    True, congratulations Stoke on doing well against a top 4 team, and congratulations on being regulated to the championship next year.