Stoke City 09/10 Thread

Discussion in 'Stoke City FC' started by Wachhz, Aug 19, 2009.

1. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I posted in the what is opposite of being a glory hunter thread and then one other thread today. I haven't been noticed yet.

It is amazing how many people on that forum have been supporters for such a long time.

I can't wait to attend my first match in September. I hope to make it part of a yearly trip to Europe.:cool:

2. CheeseAndOatcakes

CheeseAndOatcakes New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Awesome!

Why did you choose Stoke and what are you doing in England?

Lee.

3. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I live in Arizona but I used to live in Germany while in the military back in 1989-1992. I love the sport as I played it starting around 1980.

I hadn't been back to Europe till 2006 when i went to Norway. I have been back somewhere in Europe each year since except 2009 as the layoff scare was big at my company so i couldn't take any big vacation.

I will be going to England and Germany in Sept. 2010. I want to take in a few football matches during my most likely 2.5 week trip.

While in England, I want to take in a match in Stoke City and possibly in Everton if both are luckily at home during my stay in England.

As for why Stoke.

I will admit to only really coming aware of them very early into last season. At the time, it was the underdog aspect hoping they would stay alive.

I quickly liked the hard working effort of their squad. I also loved the home atmosphere.

It isn't hard to like this feeling that everyone hates Stoke City for their style of play. It reminds me of the basketball team from where I grew up. the Detroit Pistons nicknamed the bad boys in the late 80's.

I find that interesting as I didn't realize that everyone had to play the same style. They do pass on the grass when needed but no one notices it.

I know I have a lot to learn about it's history. I get this sense that many of it's supporters are glad for a team not owned by some rich foreigner and supported by so many locals so I hope they don't mind a newbie supporter from a long distance away.:)

4. CheeseAndOatcakes

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Hey thanks for the reply! I'm glad you've chosen to support Stoke.

I am a ex Military man too.

If you didn't know already Stoke are the 2nd oldest professional football team in the world! So the history is quite immense with Sir Stanley being the stand out man. Anyway there's plenty of books on Stoke and the also the teams history.

As it happens I actually know the owner of Stoke, I worked for him for a couple of years and he's a top guy who's all about the club. He's a life long Stoke fan and I worked for him when he took back over.

It's now strange to think there were marches to protest about him taking over Stoke again (it's the 2nd time he's owned the club) and even more intense marches when Coates bought Pulis back to the club (he was sacked before for nothing doing very well and the stoke fans considered his style of play was boring) and now these two are hero's of the club. Well I guess we all get it wrong sometimes eh!

I have been a life long fan being from the area even though I spent 7 of the past 10 years either living in another country or in London.

I love watching Stoke and the 150% effort they put in every game!

Welcome to the fold!

5. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    very cool to meet you and thanks for the help in learning more about the club!

Any recommendations on what would be a good first book?:)

6. CheeseAndOatcakes

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Unfortunately most of the books seem only available locally. Probably because Stoke aren't a global brand but a team supported by the locals.

You could take a chance and get from the official shop;

http://www.scfcdirect.com/boxoffice/retailprods.aspx?p=1&cat=18&h=6

(I've not read any of them).

There's tons of books on the area available on amazon.co.uk though. Stoke does have a huge significance in the history of the UK.

7. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I had some recommendations given to me by someone PM'ing me at the Oatcakes forum which was cool.

Thanks again for all the info!:cool:

8. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Once Stoke get the needed points to guarantee safety for another season, what type of players does anyone think will be needed during the summer transfer window and which current players does one see possibly leaving?

9. EffeKt

EffeKt Member

May 16, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Beattie possibly to WBA? Kitson possibly to Wolves?

Well, I thank Beattie for being a huge help in '08/'09 but other than that, good riddance to both. They're basically the very definition of locker room cancers and I can think of no other teams who are more deserving of their "services."

Not even gonna touch the Tuncay/Heskey rumors....

gonna be a messed up off sesason.

GOOOOOARN STOKE!

10. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  11. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  12. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  13. EffeKt

EffeKt Member

May 16, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. CheeseAndOatcakes

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Come on Stoke!

Going to be a difficult game I think!

15. clevelandstoker

Aug 12, 2004
    Youngstown, OH
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    ******** off Wenger.

This whole campaign of making Stoke to be a dastardly force in the Prem is bullshit. Can't stand the media harping on it either.

Dec. 18 will be our revenge you cosmopolitan fairies.

16. CheeseAndOatcakes

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Anyone looking forward to today's game?

It's going to be a difficult one but hopefully we can edge it!

Go on Stoke!!!

17. clevelandstoker

Aug 12, 2004
    Youngstown, OH
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Fox Soccer Channel's postmatch chat was horrible. There's no respect for Stoke in the discussion. Even called us a lesser club even though we've been in the Prem for three straight seasons.

It's nice to get the three points. Unlike the last two seasons, I really don't think we're a relegation candidate even though everyone seems to think that way. There's just way too much crap in the Prem. We'll be midtable and comfortably so at that.

18. CheeseAndOatcakes

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Agreed.

Stoke are not a relegation candidate I don't think. I actually feel quite calm and actually a mid table position is easily achievable.

Random fact, first time Stoke have won there since 1976.