Stockport County

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by manowarfan1, Aug 6, 2005.

1. manowarfan1

manowarfan1 New Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    Hello all - I became aware of the attempt by supporters to buy their club (Stockport County) from the owner and make it a fan owned team here on the boards. After doing a little research on the team I am happy to say that I bought a bond as well and now own a minute fraction of an English footie team :)

Anyone else here follow the Hatters? I am a NUFC fan from back when I first discovered the EPL - but as Stockport are currenlty in League 2 it will be a little while before I face the decision of who to root for when they meet (Although with NUFC's form - they may meet sooner than I think LOL).

Any County fans? We opened up the season down 0-2, but so far are storming back it's 2-2 last I checked. I bet even Abramovich & Glazer don't feel this attached to their teams, and I've only invested about $100 :)

Jeff in COlorado

2. Rise

Rise Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Exeter, UK
    Club:
    Exeter City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    First of all Jeff, as a new Stockport fan welcome to the world of real football. :D

Well done for your action in getting involved with a nationwide club. Its all to easy to get drawn to the bright lights of the Premiership, and as flashy the image is and as big the names are, there is a certain 'realism' to following a no-frills nationwide club that you simply dont get from following a Premierhip club from afar. You might not understand yet, but stick with Stockport, and you will.

Whilst Im not a Stockport fan (Exeter, a league below you), I can fully identify with what Stockport fans are going through as I've been through iexactly the same with City in recent years, and Im also proud to say that that football club is in some small part my football club.

I will promise you one thing; stick with Stockport, stick with a team with no guarantees of success, a team where mid-table medicority is an aim, follow the highs and the lows with equal dedication. Take the downs - and there are a few at this end of the game - and the ups will be infinately more sweeter for it. Trust me on this. The reward is well worth the emotional investment. And you will see what supporting a football team really is. :)

3. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Congratulations on your investment Jeff. And I mean both your financial and emotional investment. I hope you have many years of enjoyment from it.

4. manowarfan1

manowarfan1 New Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    Well, let the roller coaster ride begin. Started out down 2-0 a(at home no less) but came back to get a 2-2 decision out of it. 4,970 fans at the game - I know Edgeley holds 11,000 so taht isnt fantastic but it was 3rd highest in League 2 :) It also means that there will be plenty of room for me to get a seat when I try to get over there in the spring. I am going to try to find a time when there are two games (preferable at home) in a short time span and just get over to see the games (and if I happen to catch a NUFC game as well, that'd be a bonus).

It will definitely be more fun supporting a team in the lower levels, trying to survie and work their way back up :) We Americans are notorious for our love of the underdog - so this is going to be fun. I still believe that eventually SC will be in the Prem, erm the Coca-Cola, nah the PREM baby (we Americans are occasionally optomistic to the point of delusion).
    Well, I'm off to scour the net for some SC merchandise - they have a small supply at the official website. I think I am going to check with someone there and see if it'd be okay to put the crest & other symbols on some stuff here. Nothing against what they already have - but I can think of soem things thta I didnt see. If my test versions come out cool I'll see if the club wants to go with them. They can sell 'em for a profit and build up the bank account - when Michael Owen realizes he's now 12th option at Real - he'll come looking for us :)

5. manowarfan1

manowarfan1 New Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    Re: Stockport County/Cup question

OK - so 4 games into the season and we are at 0 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss. Not great, but no need to panic yet. We have a young squad, and few injuries. Also, one of our young players is being eyed by some of the Prem level clubs - he could fetch a nice sum for us, but I rather he stays (unless we won't get anything for him later).

Tomorrow is a match agains Sheffield WEdnesday in the first round of the cup tournament. Does anyone know how that works? I remember seeing some of the smaller squads celebrating getting matches against giant squads because it would be worth a lot of money & exposure for them. My question is how? Is it just based on attendance? Is there some payout for advancing in the tournament? Anybody know?

Also - a fellow County fan who lives over there just hooked me up with some SC goodies. I have a home jersy, badge, stickers etc. I sure hope nobody at work has a problem with me wearing my jersey tomorrow - it will bring us luck - I know it :)

6. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.

Both of the above ways of making money happen. Also the T.V. companies like to cover games where upsets can happen so there is payment for having your games televised.

7. basso001

basso001 Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC

You'll need it. :D

Congrats on choosing a team. Now that you're a real fan, though, you need to learn the lingo. It's not the "cup tournament" --it's the Carling Cup or (better) the League Cup.

Cheers --

b.

8. manowarfan1

manowarfan1 New Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    Another match - another point. Oh well, at least we've managed points in 4 or 5 moatches so far. e have some new players and are never out of matches, and show a good ability to come from behind (the bad part is getting behind in the first place, but they do seem to show some heart and not get down on themselves and pack it in). We'll get the 3 points for the first time on Monday (please God!) and start our slow climb towards the playoff zone ;-)

Now if only we had been able to hold on for a couple of more minutes against Sheffield Wednesday in the Cup. I see that West Ham drew Wednesday. That could have been us, a Premier League team payday. Dammit. Oh well, the FA Cup is more important anyway - maybe we can advance a few rounds in that one.

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blaise Bourgeois‏ @BlaiseBourgeois 58m58 minutes ago
    Manchester City star Vincent Kompany is set to be a part of a takeover bid for @StockportCounty. The club currently play in the National League North.